• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA August auction is shaping up to be Batman collectors dream

404 posts in this topic

The price paid for the copy took into account it being unrestorable... So depending on final bid with juice, the consignor may or may not make much

I think you meant to say "un-restored"...

nah. Created my own word. Unrestored-able hehe

If a book is unrestored does it become stored? hm

Seeing as how this is now 2016, it must mean that I haven't brought a book of any significance in 20 years now. So, I think my tiny little hoard of books will get me nothing more than a big fat doughnut in terms of any breaks when it comes to the HA auction fees.

So what you`re saying is that you acquired so many awesome books at pre-1996 prices that you`ve had no need to acquire more since then.

Can you feel the waves of sympathy that I`m emanating in your general direction across the Pacific?

No, what I am saying is that post-1996 prices got way too high for my liking after that short, but meteoric rise in GA prices back in the mid 90's. Now, the only books I've been able to pick up are less than awesome books every now and then. :(

I do need your waves of sympathy though to counter the extended and parabolic increase in local real estate prices here due to money pouring in from your side of the Pacific, making it virtually impossible for the younger generation to even think about buying a house here. :cry:

I do need your waves of sympathy though to counter the extended and parabolic increase in local real estate prices here due to money pouring in from your side of the Pacific, making it virtually impossible for the younger generation to even think about buying a house here. :cry:

Sometimes methinks thou doth protesteth too much.

Since you're not part of the younger generation, and own your house, wouldn't you be one of the principal beneficiaries of the rising property prices? ???

The price paid for the copy took into account it being unrestorable... So depending on final bid with juice, the consignor may or may not make much

So someone paid roughly $500K for a restored copy, that's ballsy for sure.

multiple folks wanted to pay around that for it

Wow, even more great stuff coming in. Cap 1 in 8.5, Detective 36 in 6.5, some early Action. still looking at to see what else is coming up :o

Cap 1 8.5 is a CBCS restored. Scan is up.

Wow, even more great stuff coming in. Cap 1 in 8.5, Detective 36 in 6.5, some early Action. still looking at to see what else is coming up :o

Cap 1 8.5 is a CBCS restored.

Looks like most of the latest adds are restored

Would the other company be the way to go for restored books as opposed to the stigmatizing labels from CGC? (shrug)

Especially if it is only slight professional restoration where interested bidders should really be focusing more on the book itself and the work done, as opposed to the stigmatizing colored label. hm

Would the other company be the way to go for restored books as opposed to the stigmatizing labels from CGC? (shrug)

Especially if it is only slight professional restoration where interested bidders should really be focusing more on the book itself and the work done, as opposed to the stigmatizing colored label. hm

I would say no unless it is one of the super extensively restored books since cgc won't grade them.

Sometimes methinks thou doth protesteth too much.

Since you're not part of the younger generation, and own your house, wouldn't you be one of the principal beneficiaries of the rising property prices? ???

Yes, you are indeed right when it comes to my little standard house on the poor side of town. The thing to remember though is that I am referring to the younger generation, and more specifically, to the four young adult kids which I have with 3 of them who still needs to look for a place of their own.

Doesn't help when rising real estate prices is on the local news every single bloody day in one form or another. For example, today it was some not so outstanding ordinary looking house on the west side of the city which had been resold 5 times since 2014 with the price going from only $3.2 million dollars in 2014 up to its final sale last month for $7.6 million. Wonder how long it will take to hit 8 figures. Flip, flip, flip........ :screwy::mad:

How many Action 1's or 'Tec 27's (of which I have none) would I need to help get some decent places for my four young adult children. :cry:

I would say no unless it is one of the super extensively restored books since cgc won't grade them.

I thought the restorer/owner went across the street before CGC came to a decision on whether to continue certifying them.

I thought the restorer/owner went across the street before CGC came to a decision on whether to continue certifying them.

Yes, you are 100% correct, but I believe the CGC supporters want the marketplace to think that CGC won't grade them. (tsk)

As you had correctly stated, CGC had not yet come to a decision on grading these books before the Meyers decided to go across the street. (thumbs u

Yes, you are 100% correct, but I believe the CGC supporters want the marketplace to think that CGC won't grade them. (tsk)

As you had correctly stated, CGC had not yet come to a decision on grading these books before the Meyers decided to go across the street. (thumbs u

Thanks for the correction (thumbs u

Actually, that is not correct guys....

CGC would grade the books, but they were not willing to call the extensive work done to those heavily glossed franken-books "professional".

The Meyers were not happy with that and decided to go to the other company instead who were perfectly fine slapping essentially whatever label the Meyers' wanted on there.

-J.

CGC would grade the books, but they were not willing to call the extensive work done to those heavily glossed franken-books "professional".

The Meyers were not happy with that and decided to go to the other company instead who were perfectly fine slapping essentially whatever label the Meyers' wanted on there.

-J.

What evidence is there of that?

-J.

First I've heard that. I thought in the thread on these books Matt said that they hadn't yet decided how they would grade the books after the Meyers had changed some of their techniques. Before they could arrive at a decision, the Meyers decamped to CBCS.

So, CGC was going to give the books an amateur restoration designation? That seems odd because whatever you think of the books, the Meyers are professionals. hm

Anybody notice that the Meyers have eased up on the amount of resto applied ? Their last batch to CC had books that were in 8.5 and 9.0 grade.

I wonder what's driving that? The additional expense to get an ultra high grade wasn't worth the extra bucks those grades would bring?

Do we actually know if these lower-graded books were restored by the Meyers?