• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significant Comic Art Auction at Profiles in History 30 July 2016

332 posts in this topic

I don't even see the lots... am I missed something?

yep, me neither.....so what are people seeing?

We are seeing the same thing as you, like that awesome ST cover. Also the fact that it is the Darabont collection who accumulated a remarkable trove of Wrightson art (and other art) over the last 15-20 years, and you have the makings of an impressive auction. Have heard there are other good things coming in the same auction, so fireworks could ensue. Time to check my couch cushions for change to help fund this one.

Scott

I said, "a version of..." Above, because the auction image wasn't the one I was familiar with.

So I looked it up in ICON: A Frank Frazetta Retrospective.

"The version printed on the cover of Eerie #7 is the one most people are familiar with, however it no longer exists in that form. Frank extensively revised the figure, essentially creating a new painting..."

It is a stunning painting.

Is Frank the George Lucas of fantasy painting?

lol A valid comparison, but at least some would say the changes Frank made improved the paintings.

There was an early EERIE cover painting with a dinosaur in a swamp and two figures in the foreground. In later years, Frank overpainted the two figures, totally destroying the visual hook. Thankfully, the painting was later restored to its original glory.

Is Frank the George Lucas of fantasy painting?

lol A valid comparison, but at least some would say the changes Frank made improved the paintings.

There was an early EERIE cover painting with a dinosaur in a swamp and two figures in the foreground. In later years, Frank overpainted the two figures, totally destroying the visual hook. Thankfully, the painting was later restored to its original glory.

I'm familiar with the original Warren published version but not the revision. Anybody have a side by side of the two handy? Always willing to take Terry's word for it ("totally destroyed") but this time would like to see for myself ;)