• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significant Comic Art Auction at Profiles in History 30 July 2016

332 posts in this topic

Pistella owns it he may have a picture of it from before it was restored.

Actually the write up is interesting as Frank admitted it was a mistake to alter the painting, as he never got to complete his vision for it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=811379

I think it actually changed hands and is no longer owned by Rob?

Pistella owns it he may have a picture of it from before it was restored.

Actually the write up is interesting as Frank admitted it was a mistake to alter the painting, as he never got to complete his vision for it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=811379

I think it actually changed hands and is no longer owned by Rob?

Yeah, Mark Pecorella now has it.

Is Frank the George Lucas of fantasy painting?

lol A valid comparison, but at least some would say the changes Frank made improved the paintings.

There was an early EERIE cover painting with a dinosaur in a swamp and two figures in the foreground. In later years, Frank overpainted the two figures, totally destroying the visual hook. Thankfully, the painting was later restored to its original glory.

I'm familiar with the original Warren published version but not the revision. Anybody have a side by side of the two handy? Always willing to take Terry's word for it ("totally destroyed") but this time would like to see for myself ;)

The pre-restoration version is still in Rob Pistella's CAF Gallery. I wasn't actually suggesting the painting was 'totally destroyed' by the overpainting of the two figures in the foreground - just the visual hook. The restoration successfully brought those two guys back!

lol A valid comparison, but at least some would say the changes Frank made improved the paintings.

There was an early EERIE cover painting with a dinosaur in a swamp and two figures in the foreground. In later years, Frank overpainted the two figures, totally destroying the visual hook. Thankfully, the painting was later restored to its original glory.

I'm familiar with the original Warren published version but not the revision. Anybody have a side by side of the two handy? Always willing to take Terry's word for it ("totally destroyed") but this time would like to see for myself ;)

The pre-restoration version is still in Rob Pistella's CAF Gallery. I wasn't actually suggesting the painting was 'totally destroyed' by the overpainting of the two figures in the foreground - just the visual hook. The restoration successfully brought those two guys back!

I'm gonna buy it and have them altered to Marty McFly and Doc Brown!

I'm gonna buy it and have them altered to Marty McDly and Doc Brown!

lol

I'm gonna buy it and have them altered to Marty McFly and Doc Brown!

That is a fine idea, sir. Kudos!

Best selection of Jeff Jones oils as I've seen in one place at one time.

:ohnoez: where do you even begin? Good thing my neighbors downstairs were kind enough to walk up my jaw for me. Of course they were so shocked they didn't even think to complain about the hole in their ceiling!

Wow - The Frank D. stuff is amazing, of course but the other catalog is going to make me bid!

I am hoping to be a TAR holder....

How do folk feel about the estimates?

Mark

Can someone please explain to me how the BWS Conan Sage #4 piece is from the year 2000, when Conan Saga #4 came out in 1987?

If as i suspect this is just a recreation of that piece, then surely the title is misleading ?