• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

And a couple of DCs. Come on DC guys and gals - I know you have some of the tough ones!

IMG_5681.thumb.jpg.e57d2f5583881965b756f3b3e7c78db6.jpg

Joe Kubert's The Bible. They reprinted this (as well as Superman/Ali) in hardcover format not long ago. The Superman/Ali was printed at both the Treasury size and regular size.

IMG_5682.thumb.jpg.7bdcdf1dc46cb9efa7be8e178663311c.jpg

wormboy said:

Joe Kubert's The Bible. They reprinted this (as well as Superman/Ali) in hardcover format not long ago. The Superman/Ali was printed at both the Treasury size and regular size.

Actually, I just went and looked, and the HC was printed in Treasury size and Deluxe size (rather than standard size).

Here they are side by side:

IMG_5701.jpg

And the original Treasury next to the HC:

IMG_5699.jpg

And finally, I have to show off my Neal Adams Superman sketch on the smaller Hardcover - it's tough to photograph, as it's silver ink, but it looks sick in person.

IMG_5702.thumb.JPG.0ef6c6ff3d822279465ddde869396c77.JPG

Here's a brief tribute to my all-time favorite treasury-sized comic, which is also quite possibly my all-time favorite Marvel comic book as well: Marvel Treasury Edition #9 from 1976.

First, my original owner copy, which I've read countless times:

MTE-9-OO_zpswi2vkyvf.jpg

And here's a super high-grade copy I finally tracked down about 10 years ago:

MTE-9_zps7hsnxt1t.jpg

And, finally, some shots of the interior pin-up pages, which go a long way towards explaining why Marvel hooked so many of us on their stuff for life. I mean, just look at 'em!

MTE-9-pinups1_zpszvbgwbyy.jpg

MTE-9-pinups2_zpsrdhxa18v.jpg

MTE-9-pinups3_zpskcadqdff.jpg

MTE-9-pinups4_zpsn3bhwluu.jpg

Here's a brief tribute to my all-time favorite treasury-sized comic, which is also quite possibly my all-time favorite Marvel comic book as well: Marvel Treasury Edition #9 from 1976.

MTE-9-OO_zpswi2vkyvf.jpg

MTE-9_zps7hsnxt1t.jpg

And, finally, some shots of the interior pin-up pages, which go a long way towards explaining why Marvel hooked so many of us on their stuff for life. I mean, just look at 'em!

1976. :cloud9:

Down at the 7-11!

Good times.

I love that you saved the original. And those pin-ups are sick.

How about some original art (not mine - I wish!)?

The back cover of #1

18577-2.thumb.jpg.b148bb8b86aaabc25372db0f65d4f21c.jpg

(thanks to jhalpe.com for the image)

Back cover to #11

(thanks to kirbymuseum.com for the image)

Cover to Special Edition #1

59b9d6f484650_OASprecialEdition1.png.4a9ecc8a7f76ee8bc7fdc2018e01912e.png

(thanks to heritage.com for the image)

This not Bronze Age - but it is relevant.

Marvel published this new Treasury version of the 'Spidey' series, which is pretty cool in itself, but they brought back the Bronze Treasury masthead (is that the right word?), which is awesome!

59b9d71c5fe7e_SpideyTreasury.png.7d81081515ebc28857ab3175984a9ee1.png

FB-marvel-treasury_1.thumb.jpg.22cb9cd5ec62cbf38a3f817611412bd4.jpg

From comicbookresources.com:

"Spidey: All-New Treasury Edition" arrives in June, collecting the series' first five issues with a cover price of "$15.99.

"Nick Bradshaw’s work on 'Spidey' practically leaps off the page," said Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel in a statement. "We knew we had to do something special for fans of this series. And since Robbie Thompson does such a wonderful job of capturing the early days of Peter Parker’s super hero career, we though 'Spidey' was the perfect title to bring back this classic comic format."

The format, also called Marvel Special Edition and Marvel Treasury Special, was a popular one from the mid-'70s through 1981, featuring mostly reprinted, but sometimes new material in a 10" by 14" package. A number of milestone comic moments were commemorated in the format, including Superman and Spider-Man meeting, and Spider-Man and the Hulk battling at the 1980 Winter Olympics.

Those are great! I see you have a regular and Whitman version of Conan 4 but are there any differences in the other multiples, or do you just love those books so much you had to have more than one?

Those DCs are also sweet. I especially like the Adams covers! I think those were created for the Treasuries only, correct? I don't think they were repurposed from earlier books, which makes them even more special IMO.

How can you tell? They look exactly the same to me.

Actually, I just went and looked, and the HC was printed in Treasury size and Deluxe size (rather than standard size).

Here they are side by side:

IMG_5701.jpg

And the original Treasury next to the HC:

IMG_5699.jpg

And finally, I have to show off my Neal Adams Superman sketch on the smaller Hardcover - it's tough to photograph, as it's silver ink, but it looks sick in person.

IMG_5702.jpg

Great set. :applause:

This not Bronze Age - but it is relevant.

Marvel published this new Treasury version of the 'Spidey' series, which is pretty cool in itself, but they brought back the Bronze Treasury masthead (is that the right word?), which is awesome!

Spidey%20Treasury.png

FB-marvel-treasury_1_1.jpg

From comicbookresources.com:

"Spidey: All-New Treasury Edition" arrives in June, collecting the series' first five issues with a cover price of "$15.99.

"Nick Bradshaw’s work on 'Spidey' practically leaps off the page," said Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel in a statement. "We knew we had to do something special for fans of this series. And since Robbie Thompson does such a wonderful job of capturing the early days of Peter Parker’s super hero career, we though 'Spidey' was the perfect title to bring back this classic comic format."

The format, also called Marvel Special Edition and Marvel Treasury Special, was a popular one from the mid-'70s through 1981, featuring mostly reprinted, but sometimes new material in a 10" by 14" package. A number of milestone comic moments were commemorated in the format, including Superman and Spider-Man meeting, and Spider-Man and the Hulk battling at the 1980 Winter Olympics.

Yuk! That drawing of Spidey is awful.

Those are great! I see you have a regular and Whitman version of Conan 4 but are there any differences in the other multiples, or do you just love those books so much you had to have more than one?

Those DCs are also sweet. I especially like the Adams covers! I think those were created for the Treasuries only, correct? I don't think they were repurposed from earlier books, which makes them even more special IMO.

How can you tell? They look exactly the same to me.

Check out where the price is. One is in a triangle, the other in a square (thumbs u

Didn't DC started Treasuries first?

I would like this to be 9.8 but it has a printing defect crease on the front cover that you can't see in the scan. Don't know what grade it would get- maybe a 9.6. It's the best one I have seen since BobCats Entertainment sold his copy waaaay back in the early 2000's on eBay.

B8096F20-B11A-4C2D-91DA-E4910DB8D18E_zpsbztxe6tl.jpg

43C71F22-66AC-448D-82CC-5758368CE463_zpsel5tk7nh.jpg

Edited by vane

All the prices look square on the Conan 4's .

You're right - I mixed up the 4 and the 23. The 23 has the Whitman. The 4s all look the same to me unless I'm missing something.

Didn't DC started Treasuries first?

I would like this to be 9.8 but it has a printing defect crease on the front cover that you can't see in the scan. Don't know what grade it would get- maybe a 9.6. It's the best one I have seen since BobCats Entertainment sold his copy waaaay back in the early 2000's on eBay.

B8096F20-B11A-4C2D-91DA-E4910DB8D18E_zpsbztxe6tl.jpg

43C71F22-66AC-448D-82CC-5758368CE463_zpsel5tk7nh.jpg

I'm not sure who printed the first Treasury.

This one is killer. Great image, great condition.

All the prices look square on the Conan 4's .

You're right - I mixed up the 4 and the 23. The 23 has the Whitman. The 4s all look the same to me unless I'm missing something.

I thought my eyes were going. lol

MTE-9-OO_zpswi2vkyvf.jpg

MTE-9_zps7hsnxt1t.jpg

Down at the 7-11!

Good times.

:applause:

Totally agree...just awesome. I remember searching for them in the drugstores as a kid and being so incredibly thrilled and excited on the rare occasions I actually found them.

:cloud9:

Down at the 7-11!

Good times.

:applause:

Totally agree...just awesome. I remember searching for them in the drugstores as a kid and being so incredibly thrilled and excited on the rare occasions I actually found them.

:cloud9:

Yep, same here. And the price point often meant that when I did find them (usually at a very large News Center on the other side of town), my mom or dad would say: "A dollar and a half for a comic book? No way. Get one of the 25-cent ones instead..."

In the case of my "OO" copy of MTE 9 -- the true "original owner" was my best buddy in grade school and fellow comic book fanatic, who got it from a relative for his 10th birthday.

When I saw that cover at his birthday party, I knew I had to have it, and also knew that by the time my birthday rolled around a month or so later, the odds of me getting my own copy were pretty slim.

We both read it the day of the party, and I pleaded with him for several weeks after that to trade it to me.

I finally wore him down, but it cost me: a Mego WGSH action figure (can't remember which one) and a stack of "regular" Marvel comics (no doubt heavy on "Master of Kung-Fu", which we were crazy about at the time).

The trade deal was lopsided as hell monetarily back then, but I've gleaned much enjoyment from that ragged old copy over the years, and wouldn't part with it now for anything...