• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please post positive feedback about the new case here.

266 posts in this topic

Please tell me the one thread asking for positive stuff about the slabs is not going to be left alone. I'm not interested in just the good in the same way I don't want only the bad. Post up all the books you get back in the "What I Got Back From CGC section". Let's visually see the good and the bad and go from there. If you get 2 books that are ugly out of 20 - show all 20. It's the only way we get the whole picture.

No....no.... it's just like the kudos threads--only good stuff. :sumo:

BTW, this has nothing to do with Kudos, my idea was that since it was stated that most of the reviews were positive, maybe we could see those positive statements.

That's all, no other motive,and I thought this up all on my own, I didn't even run it by a friend...cause I'm pretty sure if they WERE a friend, they might have talked me out of it;)

I do want to thank you all for participating though.

:foryou:

I wasn't criticizing you at all, Sha...

I didn't think so Ed;), it was a group answer and you were the victim;) :foryou:

I've been called a cheerleader before for being a fan of the new cases. That's fine by me.

I own almost a dozen of the new cases and I am thrilled with each of them. They are rock solid in construction and feel quite a bit more substantial and well-made than the older cases. I like how the comic appears to float inside the case. It makes it easy to spot flaws that were more difficult to detect through the older design. The biggest surprise is that I actually like the new label. At first, I was very upset that they were changing the design of the label, but I adapted very quickly to the new look. My favorite thing is the way the variant notations or special notations are in bold print and centered under the title on the label. It looks a lot cleaner than having the notation at the far left or right side of the label. I actually like the larger grade and the page quality designation in the grade window. There is also a lot more room for signature notations. The yellow label, for some reason, looks absolutely fantastic, and I like the way that the label is anchored within the case. No more falling down.

I'm also glad they went with Mylar. It's the best choice for paper preservation, in my somewhat informed opinion (I read a lot). Absence of a well protects against SCS.

There are a few complaints, but that is not what this thread was designed to address. In the end, however, I detected just as many serious problems with the 2nd gen as the new design. I'll have to wait for more information (and solid data) before making a final judgement, but I have no issues sending submissions at this time. Granted, I'm in no hurry to reholder my entire collection, but I don't see a problem with continuing to slab the moderns (all I collect at this time, even though it hasn't always been that way).

I have some very strong opinions about the things that were going on over in the original case thread. When I said I was leaving the thread, I meant it. Never posted again.

But I think some very good and sharp criticisms regarding the new design were getting cluttered with assumptions made under panic, pseudo-scientific speak, outright shills at times, lies, misrepresentation, and all kinds of negative energy. What began as a helpful dialogue basically broke down into the same dozen or so people repeating the same things over and over again..."I can't believe they are ignoring us...I can't believe they are not doing anything...they said we are the problem..." all kinds of untrue stuff. Then people started pounding the company and dragging the reputations of specific employees through the mud.

And then people wonder why the thread was tossed? Incredible.

I think the CGC did listen and I think they are trying to improve their product. They left the thread open far longer than any of us thought. I think they deserve a little bit of honest credit.

But I don't want to get dragged down into another discussion. I apologize.

Here are my ratings for the new case:

1. Overall design: A - (may go much lower if the creep engine theory is substantiated by time)

2. Label design: B+

3. Protection: A (again, this assumes that the case design is not inherently flawed in a manner that would actually damage the books inside - ala the creep engine theory).

4. Clarity: B - (Newton rings are a still a distraction in one out of 12 of my new slabs, even after the "fix" was ordered, would be A+ if Newton Rings were totally eliminated)

5. Fit and finish: C+ (all of mine look wonderful, but I've seen a lot of boo-boos in the wild).

Here they are for 2nd gen

1. Overall design: B+

2. Label design: A -

3. Protection: B -

4. Clarity: B -

5. Fit and finish: C

Get rid of the Newton rings completely (probably impossible or too cost prohibitive due to light physics) and completely prove that the design is totally safe and you have a home-run with the new cases. It's ALMOST there.

That's my honest opinions. I'm wearing my flamesuit so do your worst if you must. lol

Here are a few scans of my new acquisitions. I think they look super nice. Click on the spoiler tab.

Spawn%20250%20Murphy%20Variant%20Cover%20SS%20F_zpsyoqfbt3p.jpg

Spawn%20194%20F_zpsqpmov9zz.jpg

it is built like a tank and comparing it to older cases or other cases, the sturdiness is quite noticeable

Has anybody tried shipping one with inadequate packaging? Is it significantly less prone to cracking? If so, that is a major plus.

one of the pics in the previous thread was a set of 3 books that Fedex screwed up and damaged the box they were shipped in.

Fedex took the books and the cracked plastic and threw them in a new box.

I sent them back to CGC. None of the books were damaged. I'm confident that if the books were in the old case, they would not have survived the damage.

here's one of them

E1EEB71B-C3ED-45AF-86DB-9FA582B28C2A_zpsarbcrdg2.jpg

it is built like a tank and comparing it to older cases or other cases, the sturdiness is quite noticeable

Has anybody tried shipping one with inadequate packaging? Is it significantly less prone to cracking? If so, that is a major plus.

one of the pics in the previous thread was a set of 3 books that Fedex screwed up and damaged the box they were shipped in.

I sent them back to CGC. None of the books were damaged. I'm confident that if the books were in the old case, they would not have survived the damage.

here's one of them

I thought they fired that FedEx guy that threw the flat screen over the gate????lol

CGC is dangerously close to losing my business for good with the most recent message blatantly lying about not having significant issues due to the new cases.

Are they saying we're all insufficiently_thoughtful_persons?

No - just those who submit.

here's one of them

Is that waves up top??

here's one of them

Is that waves up top??

:idea:

CGC has always been a very reactive instead of proactive company. Couple of sayings come to mind that describe their reaction to many of the issues over the years:

They are penny smart and pound foolish

They count their pennies as the dollars fly out the window.

This is another example of bad PR and bad PR response.

Well I've only been around since 2013 in the CGC world. The fact that people who have been here since the ground up and know how they deal with their customers...and it's nothing new. Well it shocks me.

CGC will just plod on, like they always have, because they know nothing changes. The money keeps rolling in, and naive people like me will never catch on.

CGC has always been a very reactive instead of proactive company. Couple of sayings come to mind that describe their reaction to many of the issues over the years:

They are penny smart and pound foolish

They count their pennies as the dollars fly out the window.

This is another example of bad PR and bad PR response.

:hi: