• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to a comic store

189 posts in this topic

I used to love stores like that. Still do. I can still find some diamonds in the rough almost anywhere. But stores like that remind me of this store I used to go to in college & I loved how much great stuff I found there for dirt cheap.

Looks like an overpriced storage locker for a rich kid who doesn't care anymore

The owner was a 60 year old hippie who didn't understand CGC and was anit-eBay.

Every now and then I find a place like this. You can - if you're willing to work - make a killing as the store will be out of touch with the market. Of course, as your Jonah Hex examples show, that works both ways.

I understand and agree; the opportunities are out there. That's why I spent a couple of hours at this hole-in-the-wall comic book store.

But there was nothing there. The store had been cherry picked.

How ling do you think he's been in business? The one I used to go to that was like this, the rumor was the women had won a storage auction and opened the store. It wasn't open a year. It's possible the same happened with this guy, in which case it would be the overstock from a store with a large inventory, lots of X-Force #1 multiples. Not many ASM #129's.

Knew a guy just like that--way less organized-- you could barely walk through hundreds of stacked boxes and boxes of stuff. I managed to get through a few and there were some with like 50 bronze #1s, 2s, 3s, etc.. low key names, like Kull, Nova, Cat, Demon. He said he really felt uncomfortable with people leafing through them and possibly taking advantage of him and kept trying to get me to look at the quarter drek. He had to get a magnifying glass out to read the overstreet manual (from like early 90s or something). I walked out with a few 9.6 or so bronze titles, but don't go back very often.

I've often thought about how much he could unload if he became acquainted with ebay and a computer/scanner.

The books on the wall had prices on them.

The only other books I found that had prices on them were these. I had asked if the prices were firm. He said he would have to check Overstreet.

IMG_20160625_140139567_zpsw1iishjn.jpg

If these books would grade out at CGC 9.8, then you should have bought them, graded them, and sold the #7 and #9 to me for a nice profit!

I seem to recall "my friend" spending $200 for a #5 about a year ago.

Let me know if you go back there and pick these up.

Was the store playing acid rock, or some other equally offensive music that the owner loves but drives customers out? 'Cause that is usually the trifecta with comic stores that look like this.

What I don't understand is how places like this tend to stay open.

Lets say for the sake of it, this store has been open and active for 10 years. How does it happen? I see stores everywhere that are mind boggling that they remain open. Appliance repair shops, computer repair shops, shoe repair shops, electronics repair shops, vacuum cleaner repair shops, and comic shops like these. They are all dingy, unkempt and just unpleasant to be in, but remain open for YEARS.

How do they do it? Government subsidy?

What I don't understand is how places like this tend to stay open.

Lets say for the sake of it, this store has been open and active for 10 years. How does it happen? I see stores everywhere that are mind boggling that they remain open. Appliance repair shops, computer repair shops, shoe repair shops, electronics repair shops, vacuum cleaner repair shops, and comic shops like these. They are all dingy, unkempt and just unpleasant to be in, but remain open for YEARS.

How do they do it? Government subsidy?

Selling cocaine out of the back room.

There was a lamp shade store near my parents house for a decade. Seriously. A lamp shade store. Nobody needs a lamp shade that often that they will actively seek out a store for lamp shades. Unless they're just weird. There's no conceivable way that that store could have stayed in business for that long. So I decided they must be selling cocaine out of the back room. This is now my default belief for any store whose very existence is inexplicable.