• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,472 posts in this topic

Onward and upwards!  The show can't get any worse but I'm still a few episodes away from finishing the last season so we will see if they can prove me wrong.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:34 PM, D84 said:

It's solid though the end of season 5. Then it's iffy. Once Capaldi takes over the writing takes a sharp drop. Honestly, I thought with Whitaker's Doctor,  the writing couldn't get worse. They proved me wrong very quickly.

I would agree, up to the 50th anniversary special is very very good.

I turned my hand to sculpting full-size (for the most part) busts of OUTER LIMITS aliens several years ago, having never sculpted anything before in my life.  I took a break from the OL stuff to sculpt a DR WHO alien from the original series ( a group of long-time friends in the UK had been asking me to do some DR WHO stuff), so here's my first effort in that direction . . . a Draconian from the 1973 Jon Pertwee story, 'Frontier in Space'.  He stands about 15" tall and is the first of five copies I cast from a plaster mold:

q7mdzLAj_3108211813561gpadd.thumb.jpg.2f3bbf1891490c209d16243579ac3f88.jpg

Additional images can be seen at my CAF galleries:

DR WHO - 'Frontier in Space', in Terry Doyle's MISCELLANEOUS Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

Edited by The Voord

On 7/29/2021 at 6:18 PM, 1Cool said:

Onward and upwards!  The show can't get any worse but I'm still a few episodes away from finishing the last season so we will see if they can prove me wrong.

They won't!  lol

On 3/13/2021 at 9:04 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Crikey, look what that went for:

Capture.thumb.PNG.4ebcd9014f87e9d6316fae5e01ba0dbd.PNG

290557603_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.c8beb315d509743aa1eddd371f82f36a.jpg

:shy:

The first issue of my old 1980s fanzine Shadow Play can now be found at a hefty price:

Shadow Play no 1. Special Outer Limits Issue! by Doyle Terry: 1st Edition Magazine / Periodical | Rattlesnake Books (abebooks.com)

On 9/6/2021 at 11:49 PM, The Voord said:

That's quite a mark up on 50p isn't it :grin:

Fanzines were great weren't they Voord, the good and the bad.  I had quite a collection of Who ones back in the day. I wonder what the enthusiasts of today do, those who back in the day would have made or contributed to a fanzine? Post online somewhere I suppose. Things move on, but I did enjoy those days of hand typed ads, 75p postal orders and A5 envelopes dropping on the doormat with various degrees of competency enclosed. A more charming time, I think, and one which I'm glad I lived through.  

On 9/7/2021 at 8:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's quite a mark up on 50p isn't it :grin:

Fanzines were great weren't they Voord, the good and the bad.  I had quite a collection of Who ones back in the day. I wonder what the enthusiasts of today do, those who back in the day would have made or contributed to a fanzine? Post online somewhere I suppose. Things move on, but I did enjoy those days of hand typed ads, 75p postal orders and A5 envelopes dropping on the doormat with various degrees of competency enclosed. A more charming time, I think, and one which I'm glad I lived through.  

Yeah, I had lots of fun in the 1980s with Dr Who fandom and the great (and not-so-great) guys I met along the way.  To be honest, I only ever joined the Dr Who Appreciation Society in the first place to access video copies of (then) unavailable episodes (a few years before commercial video releases).  The Merseyside Local Group produced its own news-zine that later morphed into a fanzine.  After an acrimonious split with the the group (the organizer decided to ban a group of us for wanting to produce our own fanzine . . . he was a bit of a control freak) I moved away from the DWAS and MLG.  Not too long afterwards, I started publishing my own fanzine, Shadow Play, which had some Dr Who content in issue 4.

Some images of my own stuff (the Sci-Fi Times cover is obviously channelling Wally Wood):

td008.jpg

td009.jpg

22665087655.jpg

22665087655_3.jpg

td007.jpg

Edited by The Voord

On 9/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, The Voord said:

Yeah, I had lots of fun in the 1980s with Dr Who fandom and the great (and not-so-great) guys I met along the way.  To be honest, I only ever joined the Dr Who Appreciation Society in the first place to access video copies of (then) unavailable episodes (a few years before commercial video releases).  The Merseyside Local Group produced its own news-zine that later morphed into a fanzine.  After an acrimonious split with the the group (the organizer decided to ban a group of us for wanting to produce our own fanzine . . . he was a bit of a control freak) I moved away from the DWAS and MLG.  Not too long afterwards, I started publishing my own fanzine, Shadow Play, which had some Dr Who content in issue 4.

Being notoriously fond of the outside of the circle for the majority of my life, I never really got involved with any other Who people. Just correspondence with the then editor of DWB. I do recall reading a lot about people not getting on though. 

I haven't drawn anything for so long now I can't quite believe that was ever me, kneeling by the bed as an teen drawing those posters which, looking at them now, got progressively better. I loved it, but I do wish I got a bit more involved now.

Your fanzine looks good. I don't recall seeing it for sale, but would probably have bought it had I seen an ad.  

On 9/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Being notoriously fond of the outside of the circle for the majority of my life, I never really got involved with any other Who people. Just correspondence with the then editor of DWB. I do recall reading a lot about people not getting on though. 

I haven't drawn anything for so long now I can't quite believe that was ever me, kneeling by the bed as an teen drawing those posters which, looking at them now, got progressively better. I loved it, but I do wish I got a bit more involved now.

Your fanzine looks good. I don't recall seeing it for sale, but would probably have bought it had I seen an ad.  

Funny thing is several years after being bounced out of the MLG (I also got ejected from the DWAS, lol!), Chris Chibnall joined the Merseyside Local Group.  He can be seen on (I think) a Nationwide clip in which he slates Pip and Jane Baker for their Trial of a Time Lord scripts . . . complaining about stories involving running around spaceship interiors . . . only to give us the same thing in his own Dr Who (miserable) efforts years later.

I can imagine Chibnall contributing fan-fiction to the MLG's fanzine (which he may well have done?).  If so, he never really moved forward with his (ahem) 'writing skills' . . . 

On 9/7/2021 at 9:51 PM, The Voord said:

Funny thing is several years after being bounced out of the MLG (I also got ejected from the DWAS, lol!), Chris Chibnall joined the Merseyside Local Group.  He can be seen on (I think) a Nationwide clip in which he slates Pip and Jane Baker for their Trial of a Time Lord scripts . . . complaining about stories involving running around spaceship interiors . . . only to give us the same thing in his own Dr Who (miserable) efforts years later.

I can imagine Chibnall contributing fan-fiction to the MLG's fanzine (which he may well have done?).  If so, he never really moved forward with his (ahem) 'writing skills' . . . 

I posted a letter from him in a 1986 DWB earlier in this thread. It surprised me to find out he was a long term fan, as his stewardship of the show has yet to betray even the slightest understanding of the lead character. 

On 9/7/2021 at 9:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I posted a letter from him in a 1986 DWB earlier in this thread. It surprised me to find out he was a long term fan, as his stewardship of the show has yet to betray even the slightest understanding of the lead character. 

Fan-fiction writers are usually writing to an audience of . . . oh, I dunno . . . maybe one (themselves).

On 9/7/2021 at 10:31 PM, The Voord said:

Fan-fiction writers are usually writing to an audience of . . . oh, I dunno . . . maybe one (themselves).

Yes. It's a travesty, what he's done to the show. 

Night Voord. 

Here's a blast from the past . . . Richard Franklin (Captain Mike Yates from the Jon Pertwee era) hosted a Bow Wow Wow event (whatever that was supposed to be . . . it sounded nutty then and remains nutty now) on a boat cruising down London's River Thames to Greenwich (stopping for several hours' free time) before heading back down the river late afternoon for the main event . . . some sort of audience participation play involving sing-songs and Richard Franklin dressed-up as a schoolboy.  Franklin had been visiting Doctor Who Appreciation Local Groups to drum-up support for his Bow Wow Wow thingy that was basically a charity for African famine relief.

A group of us fancied the day out in London so bought tickets for the event . . . which was totally rubbish . . . but we had such a good day out, for all the wrong reasons (drinking lots of alcohol and getting drunk).

The day got off to a bad start when the bar opened and one of the bar staff said to her co-workers, "I think this is supposed to be an effing Dr Who play-group . . . just what we effing need, a bunch of effing weirdos."  We were a bit taken aback by all that, but got into the spirit of things by propping-up the bar en route to Greenwich . .  . where we found some more bars to carry on drinking.

On the way back from Greenwich later on in the afternoon, we were treated to 'The Bow Wow Wow Show'.  Cringe-worthy stuff, but we were so plastered by then it didn't really matter that none of it made sense.  One of Franklin's assistants tried to get me up to join-in the 'fun', but I (not so) politely told him where he could shove that idea . . . 

A few of my mates got up . . . and I've been blackmailing them ever since with photos I took ;)

After the main event, they had a disco . . . with some truly awful wannabe John Travolta types strutting their dodgy dance-moves.

A truly memorable day . . . for all the wrong reasons!

Scan0049.jpg

Scan0050.jpg

Scan0051.jpg

Scan0053.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Looks like fun to me Voord. There's some stuff I wanted to post, but I can't get the pictures to add due to the board issues (it's 500 error code time again). Someone definitely needs to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow...

On 9/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Looks like fun to me Voord. There's some stuff I wanted to post, but I can't get the pictures to add due to the board issues (it's 500 error code time again). Someone definitely needs to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow...

Yeah, I wanted to add a few more photos that got the error code and have now edited my post to include the two extras.  I think the Bow Wow Wow event was maybe 1984 or 85.

I ended up watching the last 3 episodes last night since I seemed to be in a kind mood.  I really have no idea what happened in the last episode except it appears they invented a loop hole to have the Doctor be eternal.  I guess they needed to do something since she/he was out of lives and the series needed to reboot soon.  Are the timelords clones of the doctor??

Christopher Eccleston may not be returning to television's Doctor Who anytime soon, but he's ready for another audio outing as the Ninth Doctor. Big Finish Productions on Monday announced that another series of Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures is on the way, with Eccleston reprising his role as the Doctor. Eccleston's first The Ninth Doctor Adventures series marked his first time returning to his role as the Doctor in 15 years after leaving the series following his first season and sitting out the 50th Anniversary crossover special. Big Finish will release the new series of Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures across four box sets in 2022 and 2023. You can watch the teaser for the series below. 

"Just before Christmas in 2020, I walked into a small recording studio in an industrial estate in North London," Eccleston says in a press release. "Me and the sound engineer looked at each other and we smiled and say, 'Let's go!' Then I started playing the Ninth Doctor again, and I loved it."

"It's been one of the great joys for me of the past year. It's a lovely way to do it, so I'm coming back to record more."