• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Much like comics, Doctor Who has been a lifelong love for me. I can still remember Aggedor running through the cave towards Jon Pertwee, the piano bars of Baker's robot, the Krynoid getting bigger and bigger, the mummies, the maggots and Weng Chiang. And Eldrad must live! of course. The cards in the weekly Weetabix box were a thing of wonder and excitement. Doctor Who Weekly became Doctor Who Monthly and my Target novelisation collection grew and grew.

Then, as I matured to a teenager, I started to get right into it. During the Davison era, I started sending my drawings to fanzines and started collecting any memorabilia I could afford. I watched Mawdryn Undead again, for the first time in many years recently. Oh dear how badly it had aged! But I loved it at the time, and Doctor Who more or less kept pace with my own development right up to the Capaldi era which I loved as an adult, just in a different way to my love as a kid for the Pertwee to McCoy era.

Anyway, I spotted an eBay listing for all the original printing pages of Doctor Who Bulletin #33 and couldn't resist buying it:

dwb33d.thumb.jpg.73645849119730fd6ef8562f3985adeb.jpg

I wonder what the % would be today, for getting shot of Chibbers, were he not already leaving?

The listing said it was for every page but #13, the artwork page:

dwb33b.thumb.jpg.0aea24c08a224f31cc87a4e826603f9c.jpg

Here's the missing art page, in the printed copy:

dwb33e.thumb.jpg.dd8c8d7640f0dc489d5e9418ada6db0c.jpg

And here, reunited for the first time since 1985, is my original artwork page that was sent back to me after printing all those years ago:

dwb33c.thumb.jpg.e474398104db03e73668582c80d914a4.jpg

I get a kick out of that - bringing together the entire issue templates for the first time in nearly 40 years:

dwb33a.jpg.9f72c79395ac093823bda574d3cd2183.jpg

I miss those innocent days :)

That is so cool.  Love it.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:28 PM, Max Carnage said:

That is so cool.  Love it.

Cheers Max :)

I was watching an old episode of Inspector Morse the other day, and was struck by how one of the actors - Terence Hardiman - reminded me of Peter Capaldi:

th.jpg.0847edb751da9fb9cbe19260b9f33b64.jpg

Probably the 'attack' eyebrows :grin: 

One of those actors who you recognise but don't know the name.

I often do that, catch actors in shows and wonder whether they would have been good in the part. I'd love to have seen Geoffrey Bayldon have a go...

gb.thumb.jpg.c90b1e749ff81ee0d79346db01d0d6b7.jpg

I think he would have done well back in the day, as an older, mysterious, slightly cranky yet kindly incarnation. What might have been, eh....

On 5/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, D84 said:

If they erase "The Timeless Children" I'll give it a shot.

Pretend that never happened.

Pretend what never happened?

Exactly.

I don't know the new chap - haven't seen him in anything - but RTD said he blew them all away at the auditions. I guess he would say that, but with his writing we can at least be optimistic for a return to something that resembles Doctor Who. 

Never heard of him.  But, it's the actual stories I'm more concerned about, and not continuing on the same way it has been.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Tennant and Tate will reprise their respective roles of the 10th Doctor and companion Donna Noble. The pair’s tenure on the series spanned from 2005 to 2010. When the characters were last seen together, the Doctor had to wipe Donna’s memory in order to save her life.

“They’re back! And it looks impossible — first, we announce a new Doctor, and then an old Doctor, along with the wonderful Donna, what on earth is happening?” showrunner Russell T. Davies said in a statement.

“Maybe this is a missing story. Or a parallel world. Or a dream, or a trick, or a flashback. The only thing I can confirm is that it’s going to be spectacular, as two of our greatest stars reunite for the battle of a lifetime.”

On 5/16/2022 at 5:00 PM, 1Cool said:

Why do I see him looking like this as the show progresses?

disappointed.gif.33b73df87f994d580b15202ad7e3f89e.gif

On 5/31/2022 at 2:56 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

It's amazing how many times you see "Doctor Who....." as an unrelated press headline in that fashion, isn't it. It gets me every time. Lord.

AffectionateLiquidBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif.86d2e16962b753844c9cf871538b716f.gif  

On 6/1/2022 at 4:31 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's amazing how many times you see "Doctor Who....." as an unrelated press headline in that fashion, isn't it. It gets me every time. Lord.

AffectionateLiquidBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif.86d2e16962b753844c9cf871538b716f.gif  

Remember Capaldi was credited as the "W.H.O. doctor" or something in World War Z.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:40 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Remember Capaldi was credited as the "W.H.O. doctor" or something in World War Z.

Quite right. He is the Who, Doctor, after all. 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:30 PM, OtherEric said:

Stumbled across this while I was looking for a different book.  Even with the corner this was a good dollar bin find a few years ago:

A67706F0-5E75-4FCE-8CB6-92A9E24587EB.jpeg

Nice. I've never read that one Eric - is it any good?

On 6/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I’ll need to reread it when I get home, I don’t remember the comic version at all… which is rarely a good sign.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

And having given it a look, it's pretty good Giordano art, given that it's based on a movie based on a TV show that nobody in America had ever heard of, much less seen, at that point.  The Daleks themselves actually look like Daleks, not some mess based on a poor description.  I would rate it as slightly better than the average Dell movie adaptation... not a high bar to clear, but not embarrassingly low either.

d.jpg

Don't get me started on the colorist, though:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 6/23/2022 at 7:33 AM, OtherEric said:

And having given it a look, it's pretty good Giordano art, given that it's based on a movie based on a TV show that nobody in America had ever heard of, much less seen, at that point.  The Daleks themselves actually look like Daleks, not some mess based on a poor description.  I would rate it as slightly better than the average Dell movie adaptation... not a high bar to clear, but not embarrassingly low either.

d.jpg

Don't get me started on the colorist, though:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Cheers Eric. I like his art. The film was on recently and I caught a bit of it for what must have been the first time in 30-40 years. I'd forgotten how many times I'd seen it as a kid, and every scene was familiar. A trip back in time in many respects. 

David Tennant will return to Doctor Who for the show's 60th anniversary season and returning showrunner Russell T. Davies is offering some puzzling clues about the nature of the Tenth Doctor's reemergence. Tennant is joined by Catherine Tate, who plays companion Donna Noble. Davies spoke to Doctor Who Magazine, offering some tantalizing teases and possibilities. First, he suggested this may be a missing chapter in the Doctor and Donna's adventures set between two episodes of Doctor Who's fourth season. Alternatively, maybe this is Doctor Who getting in on the multiverse trend, or perhaps an old enemy has returned and is creating an elaborate illusion.

"A mysteriously forgotten excursion for the TARDIS in between 'Planet of the Ood' and 'Sontaran Stratagem'?" Davies suggested (via Digital Spy). "Or maybe a multiverse thing, they're all the rage these days. Maybe this is the Doctor and Donna from Universe 557, all set to collide with our own. Then again, maybe, just maybe, this return is so impossible that it's actually an intricate illusion created by an old enemy of the Doctor's. Or maybe an old enemy of Donna's. Nerys!"

Then again, Davies could just be having fun with fans. However, he concludes his statement by assuring fans there's some hidden truth in what he's suggesting.

"Of course, I wouldn't give that away in the pages of DWM, would I?" Davies teased. "But then again. This magazine is the first place I ever revealed the name of Billie Piper's Rose (in issue 340). So read carefully. There are truths in here."

Just read this, which I thought was quite interesting...

While the BBC's iconic Doctor Who series may currently stand as one of the most cherished and respected small screen franchises ever to warp into our lives, the show was definitely on the ropes towards the end of its first run in the late '80s.

In fact, things got so bad when it came to the overall quality of the sci-fi time-travelling property with Colin Baker at the wheel of The Doctor that the show was put on ice for 18 months in 1985 on the back of BBC One controller Michael Grade feeling it had just become too violent and a "very clunky studio show".

Then, in a move that still needs to be heard to be believed, the decision was made by British songwriter and Who super fan Ian Levine to assemble a collection of artists together to record a universally panned charity song by the name of Doctor in Distress to drum up some support for the series edging towards cancellation. 

Clearly sensing he needed to do something in a bid to keep his failing Doctor dreams afloat, Baker himself also agreed to appear in the ill-fated tune, with Hans Zimmer, of all people, playing the song on a synthesiser. All of the jarring beats in the world couldn't save Baker from eventually getting the regeneration treatment after just three years - including said lengthy hiatus - in the Time Lord saddle, though.