• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding Gold in San Diego

250 posts in this topic

Some collectors were saying that dealer asking prices were too high so they were passing on purchases.

Some dealers were saying that they're competing with auction houses, they're paying a higher percentage for books, and the cost of the convention is becoming ridiculous.

I'm concerned about a rift developing - both dealers and collectors are working harder than ever (I know that I am) for seemingly fewer deals.

To clarify my earlier post, there were indeed a lot of GA books at the show but the quality items were priced extremely steep so I hardly gave them much consideration. In years past, I would have bought more books.

Excellent comments and post from everybody, (thumbs u

FWIW, Bunky's are not what you call "true:, dealer, we are collectors first, and sellers second, that said, I have some thoughts on the SD Con, for the first time, in 20 years, I am 100% considering not going back next year, main reason, too much empty carpet in the dealer room. I agree with a lot of collectors it too difficult/expensive to make the show let alone get around to the dealers while fighting all the lines of cos play people, that are not there for comics. One family walked by our booth, and the child said to her mom, "why are there comics here?"

(shrug)

Give up your one chance a year to see me? I can't imagine how you put a price on that.

Who's going to offer me a chair when my feet are tired? Where are the Golden Age geeks going to meet before going to Peter's on Friday night?

My Lord, man. Have you considered the consequences? :o

on books like this I don't understand the grading process still learning the whole resto game...this book looks MUCH better than an 8.5 to me. look at those corners and the spine. What am I missing here? I can't imagine many 27s even left the newsstands looking this fresh. This looks tighter than most of my new comics after one read. resto experts please help me learn of the Jedi ways

You can't grade a comic from a scan, especially on a 2D front cover scan. You have no idea what the back cover looks like, what the book looks like out of the holder, what the interior looks like.

There could be a 1/4" missing off a back cover corner. Yes the front cover looks great, but that doesn't necessarily represent the entire book.

Booth #1006. No gator sightings.

Little girl guarding those books. hm

Remember that little rabbit guarding the cave in Monty Python's The Holy Grail?

Yeah, she's vicious like that.

:grin:

on books like this I don't understand the grading process still learning the whole resto game...this book looks MUCH better than an 8.5 to me. look at those corners and the spine. What am I missing here? I can't imagine many 27s even left the newsstands looking this fresh. This looks tighter than most of my new comics after one read. resto experts please help me learn of the Jedi ways

You can't grade a comic from a scan, especially on a 2D front cover scan. You have no idea what the back cover looks like, what the book looks like out of the holder, what the interior looks like.

There could be a 1/4" missing off a back cover corner. Yes the front cover looks great, but that doesn't necessarily represent the entire book.

I'm betting on the interior. With both the cover and centerfold married, the interior might have been rough to start with.

I'm betting on the interior. With both the cover and centerfold married, the interior might have been rough to start with.

No. From bound volume. Why the married pages was left to the discretion of the owner and the restoration lab.

Some collectors were saying that dealer asking prices were too high so they were passing on purchases.

Some dealers were saying that they're competing with auction houses, they're paying a higher percentage for books, and the cost of the convention is becoming ridiculous.

I'm concerned about a rift developing - both dealers and collectors are working harder than ever (I know that I am) for seemingly fewer deals.

To clarify my earlier post, there were indeed a lot of GA books at the show but the quality items were priced extremely steep so I hardly gave them much consideration. In years past, I would have bought more books.

FWIW, Bunky's are not what you call "true:, dealer, we are collectors first, and sellers second, that said, I have some thoughts on the SD Con, for the first time, in 20 years, I am 100% considering not going back next year, main reason, too much empty carpet in the dealer room. I agree with a lot of collectors it too difficult/expensive to make the show let alone get around to the dealers while fighting all the lines of cos play people, that are not there for comics. One family walked by our booth, and the child said to her mom, "why are there comics here?"

(shrug)

Give up your one chance a year to see me? I can't imagine how you put a price on that.

Who's going to offer me a chair when my feet are tired? Where are the Golden Age geeks going to meet before going to Peter's on Friday night?

Jeff, I'm not saying I won't be there, just not as a "dealer", If I do not set up next year I will have time, to "hang at Peter house, rest my feet at Bedrock's booth, have lunch and dinner at my time, without shutting down the booth for the day.

So, you will see more of me, not less, and you love that :baiting:

One family walked by our booth, and the child said to her mom, "why are there comics here?"

(shrug)

That's a pretty big indictment of Comicon.

One family walked by our booth, and the child said to her mom, "why are there comics here?"

(shrug)

to be fair , the kid meant why were there comics in a glass display case lol

(shrug)

Jeff, I'm not saying I won't be there, just not as a "dealer", If I do not set up next year I will have time, to "hang at Peter house, rest my feet at Bedrock's booth, have lunch and dinner at my time, without shutting down the booth for the day.

As long as you keep your shoes on.

(shrug)

to be fair , the kid meant why were there comics in a glass display case lol

That context puts the statement in a different (much less negative) light.

The Bunky booth is in a fantastic wall location so it is still negative to consider giving it up.

(shrug)

As long as you keep your shoes on.

I don't mind. Brian's feet are probably pretty nice.

Sorry to hear about your past experience in SDCC this year Bunky. I spoke to a few dealers around the room and they all told me that they were doing well. I would think you would be one of em also since your books are maybe top 3 offered.