• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC shipped me Action Comics #1 Superman page, FedEx lost it, Help appreciated!
1 1

452 posts in this topic

If my understanding is correct from the context in this thread, that $4K FMV was just pulled out of proverbial hat for the sake of CGC/picking a stated value on the form. I do believe the real value of this piece/slab (what it would fetch in the open market) is significantly >$4K. And the total out of pocket cost for the OP is in fact > $4K.

I bought the page from a fellow collector for $4,300 -- a good deal IMO, as it was more than $100 less than a similar example, page 3, sold for at CC auction recently.

With any luck, it will turn up at your doorstep sometime soon.

If it was in fact grifted by a FedEx enployee, the one upside is that it is an unmistakable page.

The thief can crack it out to sell it raw or reslab it for a different cert #.....but if he does that, and it ends up in a CC,CL or Heritage auction....I'd have to think that the auctioneer would pull the piece and guve it to you, after you presented proof that you are the owner of the page and the consignor had given the auctioneer stolen goods.

this will require a police report, I believe...not sure we are to that stage yet, but maybe getting close

If my understanding is correct from the context in this thread, that $4K FMV was just pulled out of proverbial hat for the sake of CGC/picking a stated value on the form. I do believe the real value of this piece/slab (what it would fetch in the open market) is significantly >$4K. And the total out of pocket cost for the OP is in fact > $4K.

I bought the page from a fellow collector for $4,300 -- a good deal IMO, as it was more than $100 less than a similar example, page 3, sold for at CC auction recently.

did anyone ask if you have your collection insured with CIA or the likes?...

I don't have collector's insurance, no.

might be a good time for those that don't, to do :wishluck:

Is it only best when shipping books $4k+? Or good to have in general? And which company is good?

Edited by chaseman210

maybe 7-8 years ago, some on the boards will recall I had 2 boxes of detective comics stolen while in UPS high value care ...I didn't properly insure...I lost a ton of money (legal actions were persued, but ultimately failed for a myriad of reasons)

the ultimate ending, was that the burden of value was on me, and because I hadn't insured for my ex post facto stated (and easily proven) value, I was responsible for the loss, even though UPS investigators were able to determine the boxes had, indeed, been stolen by an employee, while in their care...

will continue to hope for a positive resolution in this case, but ultimately, this thread can serve a good lesson to all to properly (and FULLY) insure collectibles...especially in today's environment

I'm sooo sorry to hear this happened to you. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you must have went through. Is it safe to say that you still scour the marketplace for these stolen gems 'till this day? I know for one, that would have questioned my faith in humanity. A very sad story indeed

Absolutely. With collect/insure there is really no reason not to do so...the rates are cheap. I don't like buying insurance, but it's a necessary evil. If I lost all of my comics tomorrow, I would be heartbroken, but at least the value would be covered and I'd get my money back.

I wouldn't go 24 hours without having my collection insured.

maybe 7-8 years ago, some on the boards will recall I had 2 boxes of detective comics stolen while in UPS high value care ...I didn't properly insure...I lost a ton of money (legal actions were persued, but ultimately failed for a myriad of reasons)

the ultimate ending, was that the burden of value was on me, and because I hadn't insured for my ex post facto stated (and easily proven) value, I was responsible for the loss, even though UPS investigators were able to determine the boxes had, indeed, been stolen by an employee, while in their care...

will continue to hope for a positive resolution in this case, but ultimately, this thread can serve a good lesson to all to properly (and FULLY) insure collectibles...especially in today's environment

I'm sooo sorry to hear this happened to you. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you must have went through. Is it safe to say that you still scour the marketplace for these stolen gems 'till this day? I know for one, that would have questioned my faith in humanity. A very sad story indeed

they were discovered a year later, but because UPS had paid some insurance on them, they technically owned them and wouldn't proceed with trying to reclaim , so they were sold to whomever

This happened to me twice, and both times the book turned up. Hopefully that will be the case here.

:wishluck:

Both times with FedEx?

Once with Fedex, once with the Post Office.

This happened to me twice, and both times the book turned up. Hopefully that will be the case here.

Both times with FedEx?

Then you started using UPS .... hm

Both times with FedEx?

sorry to offend anyone that might work for ups, but they are the worst for shipping collectibles with...

Both times with FedEx?

sorry to offend anyone that might work for ups, but they are the worst for shipping collectibles with...

I mostly use USPS.

Both times with FedEx?

I mostly use USPS.

Same. I've never used anybody else except on return shipping from CGC.

Both times with FedEx?

I mostly use USPS.

Not that I haven't had the occasional problem. A couple of months ago I sent a batch of books to CLink via USPS. Arrived on schedule in Maine on the second day. Next scan showed that the following day they were in North Carolina. The day after that they were back in Maine. The day after that they were back in North Carolina. Day after that they were back in Maine and delivered the following day.

I told this story in another thread: Sent several high-dollar books to CGC for reholdering. Initial scan at my local PO, then nothing. Kept checking to see if they would show up on my inventory list at CGC, but they never did.

Filed for a tracer with the PO, but they came up with nothing.

A few weeks went by and I was getting ready to file an insurance claim when a package from CGC arrived with the books.

No scan beyond the initial acceptance scan, no indication that the required signature at CGC had happened, CGC never entered the books into inventory, and never sent notice of the shipment back to me.

Ship enough books and crazy stuff will happen! :D

Both times with FedEx?

I mostly use USPS.

Not that I haven't had the occasional problem. A couple of months ago I sent a batch of books to CLink via USPS. Arrived on schedule in Maine on the second day. Next scan showed that the following day they were in North Carolina. The day after that they were back in Maine. The day after that they were back in North Carolina. Day after that they were back in Maine and delivered the following day.

I told this story in another thread: Sent several high-dollar books to CGC for reholdering. Initial scan at my local PO, then nothing. Kept checking to see if they would show up on my inventory list at CGC, but they never did.

Filed for a tracer with the PO, but they came up with nothing.

A few weeks went by and I was getting ready to file an insurance claim when a package from CGC arrived with the books.

No scan beyond the initial acceptance scan, no indication that the required signature at CGC had happened, CGC never entered the books into inventory, and never sent notice of the shipment back to me.

Ship enough books and crazy stuff will happen! :D

lol That's crazy.

Thanks again to everyone for the support.

I've done my rounds of calls for the day:

-FedEx has still not found my package.

-The FedEx ship center I had it shipped to has still not received any packages with my name on it.

I've tried to get in touch with FedEx's security department, because of my concern that it might have been stolen, they gave me a phone number, then called me back to tell me it's not valid. They've "made a note" that I want to speak to someone in their security department.

I have no idea what their investigations have entailed. Have they been calling the ship center I had it shipped to on a daily basis to see if it's been delivered without tracking updates? Because I've been calling the ship center daily on my end.

The search, and the stress continues.

Edited by Wayne-Tec