• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
10 10

729 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2024 at 5:08 PM, Professor K said:

People don't seem to defend Cole to a high level of defensiveness. Say something negative about Shomburg however, and you'll get some grief. 

I've never been much of a Schomburg fanboy. The vast majority of his WW2 covers look identical to me. There are a lot of early standouts, but my eyes glaze over after the third or fourth mid-run MMC or Cap.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:32 AM, october said:

I've never been much of a Schomburg fanboy. The vast majority of his WW2 covers look identical to me. There are a lot of early standouts, but my eyes glaze over after the third or fourth mid-run MMC or Cap.

The vast majority, agreed. But it’s those wonderful exceptions that make it all so worthwhile 

On 7/5/2024 at 6:32 AM, october said:

I get where you are coming from. I discovered him early and was hooked though. Maybe because I like “busy” covers. I have maybe half of the MM run. At first they all look the same as you flip through them with all the red titles. But just pull one out and examine it. All the little details. The faces and the weird situations. Schomburg is still my favorite GA artists! 

On 7/5/2024 at 9:58 AM, Robot Man said:

I get where you are coming from. I discovered him early and was hooked though. Maybe because I like “busy” covers. I have maybe half of the MM run. At first they all look the same as you flip through them with all the red titles. But just pull one out and examine it. All the little details. The faces and the weird situations. Schomburg is still my favorite GA artists! 

I do love the giant signs/flags/labels that point out secret Japenese or German bases, enormous weapons or important people....in English. Always makes me laugh.

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 2:32 AM, Professor K said:

What do you like Hepcat?

My top preferences are these:

Golden Age

Post-1945 Green Lantern, All-American Comics and All Star Comics

Kirby Newsboy Legion and Sandman

Black Cat Comics (I have most)

Timely Terrytoons

Other funny animal comics

Atom Age

Fox & the Crow and other DC funny animal comics

Jungle and other GGA comics

Atlas westerns

Dell and Harvey funny animal comics with Tom and Jerry, Daffy Duck, Goofy, Felix and Spooky being titles in which I'm particularly deep

Atlas and Harvey war

Howdy Doody, Lone Ranger, Turok, Indian Chief, Dick Tracy, Li'l Abner, Terry and the Pirates, Blondie & Dagwood

Men's sweat magazines

Silver Age

DC superheroes & adventure (the bulk of my collection) with favourite titles being Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman, Justice League of America, Mystery in Space, Challengers of the Unknown, Atom,  Wonder Woman, Sea Devils, Metal Men, Tales of the Unexpected, House of Secrets, Strange Adventures, etc.

Archie Fly and Jaguar (I have most)

Charlton Captain Atom, Gorgo and Blue Beetle

Star Spangled War Stories, Enemy Ace, Sgt. Rock, Haunted Tank and MiG covers 

Select Gold Key, e.g. Doctor Solar, Phantom, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, M.A.R.S. Patrol Total War

Drag Cartoons, Big Daddy Roth, CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, Skywalds, Mad and Sick magazines

Bronze Age

Joe Kubert Tarzan

Phantom Stranger

Adventure Comics with Spectre, Supergirl and Aquaman

DC 100 Page Super Spectaculars

Adventure and World's Finest Dollar Comics

Neal Adams DC

But I'm surprised you had to ask. I've made no secret of my preferences. Just look at my posts. I've posted thousands of scans from my collection in the last fifteen+ years.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/5/2024 at 3:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 7/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Indeed. This one is one of my favorites. So much going on. Really sucks in the viewer. 

IMG_9148.jpeg

Expand  

One of my favorites too. I thought I was the only one. BROTHER!

Family!

mm36.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 3:36 PM, LadyDeath said:

That's why I like his simple bondage covers.

CGC4392789-010_OBV.jpg.1f0cbf8ba4c307b8f00b775ae9f54280.jpg

There! Now that's a Schomburg cover to my taste.

(thumbsu

Edited by Hepcat

His style changed right about after he did Cap 3. Around Spring of 41. I think most likely he was asked or told to by either Goodman or maybe Joe Simon. I doubt he made the choice himself. Either way he pretty much outdid everyone at the time. 

On 7/5/2024 at 4:28 PM, MrBedrock said:

It is truly sad how Schomburg copied himself over and over and over again...

dearbeatrixfairfax5.jpg

dearbeatrixfairfax6.jpg

dearbeatrixfairfax7.jpg

dearbeatrixfairfax8.jpg

dearbeatrixfairfax9.jpg

I have always loved the diversity of your collection. But, those, in the width and breadth of his career have always just left me flat. Just my personal taste I guess.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:28 PM, MrBedrock said:

It is truly sad how Schomburg copied himself over and over and over again...

Sad indeed. That cover was just blah the first time.

:whatev:

Posted (edited)

Yes, I'm a big fan of good girl art. But why would a superheroine from the 1940's look like her mammary glands are bolt-ons she got at the plastic surgeon's office?

phantomlady170001.webp

I mean what's with that? Nobody had even envisioned the possibility of implants back then.

:tonofbricks:

Edited by Hepcat

On 6/30/2023 at 4:39 PM, Point Five said:

In all the years I've been on the boards, there's been a vocal minority-but-not-tiny group complaining that Schomburg's covers look 'too busy', 'too cluttered', 'his Marvel Mystery covers look all the same', etc etc. 

I agree. But until now I've never been "vocal" about it. I've just done my best to ignore his stuff.

(shrug)