• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

RE: Hitler comics. 

One last thought. 

Similar comic covers (Mussolini, Goebbels, Hirohito, etc.) and American WW2 propaganda are likely to be some of the more enduring Golden Age books. 

The mainstream has long forgotten 98% of the superheroes from this time, with the remarkable exceptions we see in pop culture. 

But comics grounded to historical events can appeal to a diverse audience.  

On 6/29/2023 at 9:21 PM, Point Five said:

Thankfully (and unusually) I had the wisdom to keep it. It's quite the Mylar queen!

hangman3.jpg.58e9da57c811771d37335060c298947d.jpg

Good lord! This cover has everything!

I seriously have to acquire a copy of this. 

Edited by newshane

On 6/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

No soup for you

Yeah I know. Without getting too deep into it, to me his very first covers in Daring and Marvel Mystery are some of the absolute best covers ever created. Then he got a little too cartooney for my taste (even though his Marvel Mystery's are still awesome). I think I understand why......to sell magazines. Most the publishers shifted to that style come 1941, every artist with their own style. Maybe Simon and Kirby might had influenced that to an extant. It was right after Cap 1 when that started happening a lot. The guy was a great artist it's just most of the Timely stuff he did I kind of think he was selling himself short. Mostly the Cap titles.  His Better/Nedor work was better, again for my taste. And Suspense 3. 

You know what. I'll ease it back to "a little over-rated".

On 6/29/2023 at 10:38 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I love single pages

IMG_3447.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

Well who wouldn't like that page? Bat Page. It's a beauty.

On 6/29/2023 at 11:06 PM, newshane said:

Good lord! This cover has everything!

I seriously have to acquire a copy of this. 

Yeah Hangman 3, 4, 5 and 6 are totally awesome. I prefer 6 because he looks like a complete psychopath choking that skeleton dude. I don't know how effective choking a guy with no circulatory system is but it looks really cool. I guess it's more of a choke slam. 

Edited by Professor K
grammar correction

On 6/29/2023 at 7:17 PM, Professor K said:

Alex Shomburg is over-rated. This doesn't mean we can't still be friends I hope.

Schomburg is my "most consistently favorite" artist from the Golden Age.  I love his stuff because of all the stuff that goes on on his covers.  I could stare at some of them for hours.  I'm sure he has a few "meh" ones, but the good ones far outweigh those.

Now, L.B. Cole ... that's another story.  I think some of his covers are some of the best of the Golden Age whereas others I just don't get at all.

In short, this is my way of saying "you're wrong and boy is your opinion unpopular". :D

Edited by Telegan

On 6/30/2023 at 2:34 AM, Telegan said:

Schomburg is my "most consistently favorite" artist from the Golden Age.  I love his stuff because of all the stuff that goes on on his covers.  I could stare at some of them for hours.  I'm sure he has a few "meh" ones, but the good ones far outweigh those.

Now, L.B. Cole ... that's another story.  I think some of his covers are some of the best of the Golden Age whereas others I just don't get at all.

In short, this is my way of saying "you're wrong and boy is your opinion unpopular". :D

I definitely think LB Cole is overrated, no matter what the cover is, as long as it's not one of his funny animal works, people will pay through the nose just because he did it. In contrast, the market will sleep on bad Schomburg covers.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:34 AM, Telegan said:

Just to be clear , I did revise that to "a little" over-rated. 

On 6/30/2023 at 3:22 PM, Professor K said:

Just to be clear , I did revise that to "a little" over-rated. 

We're joshing you a bit (I think?), but no issue at all. :)

In all the years I've been on the boards, there's been a vocal minority-but-not-tiny group complaining that Schomburg's covers look 'too busy', 'too cluttered', 'his Marvel Mystery covers look all the same', etc etc. Some folks here prefer his late 40s airbrush covers (cleaner, simpler style & compositions) for that reason.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, MrBedrock said:

I thought about restoring mine...

hangman3.jpg

Restoring it back to it's Colorado homeland? Are you opening a new store in Colorado called Bedrock City Central? I could see you doing that! Slowly taking over the country with funny book shops! Maybe you could buy Church's old house just to store your collection!!! I might be persuaded to be curator of the collection, as you'd clearly be too busy opening stores to keep everything freshly bagged and boarded. This could work! Oh boy, I'm excited!!!  :banana:

On 6/30/2023 at 2:41 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I think a lot of his interior art is omitted on labels. It's probably nothing intentional, just a matter of a limited amount of space.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I think O'Mealia was the best interior artist working at DC during that period.  His work should be noted on every CGC label!  :sumo: