• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2023 at 10:05 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You saw what Bedrock did; I couldn’t leave a brother hanging 

Tricky Dicky never has been blessed with a comedic vein, unknown to him, but quite apparent to everyone else.

On 7/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Tricky Dicky never has been blessed with a comedic vein, unknown to him, but quite apparent to everyone else.

Sorry Paul.

On 7/2/2023 at 6:57 PM, Sarg said:

Most GA comics are far inferior to the newspaper comics of the classic era. That's because the newspaper comics often relied on storyline arcs that could last for months or even years, which holds the readers' attention, encourages character development, introduces a variety of themes and plot twists, etc.

No comic book artist was equal to the skill of Hal Foster and Alex Raymond. 

I don't know that that's an unpopular opinion; many people would probably agree. The most talented guys—guys who could write and draw well—tended to land their own strips. I like Frank Godwin's strip Connie, but it's seldom mentioned here. (It was reprinted in Famous Funnies for a while). Others have mentioned Milton Caniff; you can't forget Chester Gould; the list goes on and on.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, Point Five said:

We're joshing you a bit (I think?), but no issue at all. :)

In all the years I've been on the boards, there's been a vocal minority-but-not-tiny group complaining that Schomburg's covers look 'too busy', 'too cluttered', 'his Marvel Mystery covers look all the same', etc etc. Some folks here prefer his late 40s airbrush covers (cleaner, simpler style & compositions) for that reason.

I’m part of the non vocal minority. I like his Xela covers a lot more…

On 7/6/2023 at 3:48 AM, Larryw7 said:

I think that the much maligned cover for Action 116 is a fine example of Cubism.

745467.jpg

It's best to keep such interests on the downlow. :gossip:

Action116.jpg

On 9/11/2022 at 1:37 AM, ageofsilver said:

the greatest body of golden age work is New Trend EC. Just try to disagree

I really can’t. Possibly the only time I found the books a bit too repetitive and formulaic would be with Crime SuspenStories.

In general, I’ve always found this period to be quite brilliant.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/29/2023 at 12:53 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I know this isn't a popular opinion at all, but I think restoration and conservation on comic books is just fine, especially if they REALLY need it. Example: I had a Daring Mystery #2 a long time ago (mid 90s) that was complete, but the covers and pages were all completely split ... no two pages were connected anymore. I left it with Matt as a "long term project" to see if he could save its life. Chippity at the edges and difficult (but not impossible) to thumb thru, it was clearly circling the drain, on its last legs and needing extensive resuscitation. One must remember, at that time, Daring Mystery #2 was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find and was once thought to be the rarest Timely. Now he only worked on it when he had some down time, so it took 2 years, but by gosh he hung that thing back together (HOW still remains a mystery unrevealed) and turned it back into a handleable, readable, ENJOYABLE comic book! Sure, it was EXTENSIVELY restored ... it had the FULL MONTY ... pages treated (I don't know the process), the entire spine of the comic was completely rebuilt, and it had a chemical smell to it, BUT he saved its life, which allowed me to enjoy it for quite a while until a life situation forced the sale of most of my prized Timely collection. I'm almost completely CERTAIN that had nothing been done with the comic, it'd be a pile of dust by now (some 25 + years later)!!! They don't make Golden Age anymore, so saving that Daring Mystery kept a copy in the hobby. I have NO idea where it is now, but I'd know it if I saw it again. I hope whoever has it is enjoying it!  (thumbsu

It's probably listed on eBay as a NM unrestored copy.

On 7/22/2023 at 12:02 PM, ThothAmon said:

The Gaines File copies ruined collecting ECs. Thank goodness for collectors everywhere other publishers didn’t do this. 

Really? ???  I'd think 99% of EC collecting has hummed on steadily regardless of any activity with the highest grades. Can you unpack this a bit more?

On 7/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, Point Five said:

Can you unpack this a bit more?

Prior to Gaines unveiling his 12 or so pristine copies of EVERY EC Comic published from 1951-1955 a collector who actually acquired his copies by diligence and patience was happy to have them in mid grade or better, and they were highly sought after with ever increasing prices realized. That all changed when Gaines brought forth his books that had never experienced the newsstand crucible. Collecting went out the door. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:33 PM, ThothAmon said:

Prior to Gaines unveiling his 12 or so pristine copies of EVERY EC Comic published from 1951-1955 a collector who actually acquired his copies by diligence and patience was happy to have them in mid grade or better, and they were highly sought after with ever increasing prices realized. That all changed when Gaines brought forth his books that had never experienced the newsstand crucible. Collecting went out the door. 

I'm afraid that I couldn't agree with you less.  In the first place, the GFC offering was back in the '90's IIRC, and limited to just 10 or a dozen copies of each title.  This is when VG copies of EC's were very common and affordable on eBay and elsewhere. 

In my own particular case, I have mostly full runs of the horror, crime, & Sci Fi titles in an average of VG condition.  I didn't want, or want to pay for better copies simply because I enjoy reading my books, and not worry about degrading a high end copy through handling it.  The file copies were simply on another level, but affect collecting ECs?  Not hardly.  Take a look at what they are going for AFA sold sales on eBay and HA, as an example.

Echoing fifties' comments, I guess it's as ever a matter of perspective. I was passionately collecting ECs all through the 90s, and was happy to land any copy of anything I could in the pre-internet days. I doubt I knew anything about the Gaines file copies back then, and if I'm entirely honest I still don't know *that* much about them. Since they aren't really in my budget -- and honestly, nor would they have been in the 90s even if I'd had the opportunity -- I just kind of tune them out.