• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2022 at 2:31 PM, MrBedrock said:

Fantastic 3 isn't even in my top 5 favorite Lou Fine covers. It's a cool book but probably not one I'll ever go out on a limb to buy.

I love Fantastic 3. Would love to have a copy. But unfortunately, that limb on my tree broke off many years ago…

On 10/25/2022 at 3:31 PM, MrBedrock said:

Fantastic 3 isn't even in my top 5 favorite Lou Fine covers. It's a cool book but probably not one I'll ever go out on a limb to buy.

I agree it's not my favorite, but I'm curious what your top 5 would be?

I could also go with Mystery Men #4 but I just love the way Neon is hanging from the logo on the Hit 2. And National 7 is pretty cool too.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:49 PM, MrBedrock said:

I could also go with Mystery Men #4 but I just love the way Neon is hanging from the logo on the Hit 2. And National 7 is pretty cool too.

Love em.  I'm in concordance with 2 or 3 of those.  I enjoy hearing unconventional opinions.  I wouldn't have guessed Hit 2.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t know but other than the 2 pictured Wonderworlds, I’d MUCH rather have a Fantastic #3…

You probably choose Pepsi over Coke.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

After you've read a few, all EC stories are formula stories and have predictable endings...:preach:

But is there a title in the GA whose stories you can't say that about? Honest question.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:43 AM, Point Five said:

But is there a title in the GA whose stories you can't say that about? Honest question.

Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge

On 6/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I cannot overlook the fact that Jack Kamen drew all his female characters with the same face, and that diminishes his artistic talent in my view.

PCH is the chief genre for overhyped and profoundly overpriced covers, many of which are not even scarce enough to justify their FMV.

I think war comics are gonna increase in popularity among collectors.

The art in comics that collectors are primarily interested in (superheroes, science fiction, not newspaper strip stuff, etc) didn't become good until the late 40s. Early to mid Golden Age is just so unengaging to read because of lifeless, static interior art.

Captain America books are overvalued.

I've never thought that Kamen was an especially good artist. I more or less agree about the female faces, but I think that he had two rather than one: the wide-eyed angry face and the wide-eyed surprised face. 

And I don't disagree about the writing. Newspaper serial strip writing crushed the material written for comic books in that era.

Many of the PCH covers are overhyped right now, but the high prices are bringing more copies out of the woodwork, so you should see some leveling off of prices. (I think that you already have seen it to some extent with the exception of highest-graded copies.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I cannot overlook the fact that Jack Kamen drew all his female characters with the same face, and that diminishes his artistic talent in my view.

PCH is the chief genre for overhyped and profoundly overpriced covers, many of which are not even scarce enough to justify their FMV.

I think war comics are gonna increase in popularity among collectors.

The art in comics that collectors are primarily interested in (superheroes, science fiction, not newspaper strip stuff, etc) didn't become good until the late 40s. Early to mid Golden Age is just so unengaging to read because of lifeless, static interior art.

Captain America books are overvalued.

I agree with PCH in many cases.  This was maybe the most unbelievable sale in the last HA auction to me.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/tales-of-horror-8-toby-publishing-1953-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/a/7340-92131.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515