• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

I have a similar interest. 1964 and 1965 are my favourite years for collecting Marvel Comics raw.

I have been keeping track of what came out each month -- with an eye to perhaps completing a month. I toss the teen and western titles into the mix as they still have covers (Kirby, in particular) that I haven't seen. I have a long way to go with even my "best months", especially as the less popular titles are hard to find between, let's say, F+ to VF (6.5 to 8.0).

I am closest with: June 1965 (Aug/Sep) 7/16 titles; July 1965 (Sep/Oct) 6/14; August 1965 (Oct/Nov) 7/17; September 1965 (Nov/Dec) 7/13; October 1965 (Dec/Jan) 7/16.

I define the "month" by what came out together in the same calendar month as to recreate what the newsstand might resemble.

Below, for example, is:

Marvel / August 1965 Calendar Month (17 titles)

Oct/Nov 65 Cover Date

ASM 30 & ASM Annual 2

Avengers 21

Daredevil 10

Fantastic Four 44 & Fantastic Four Annual 3

JIM 121

Kid Colt Outlaw 125

Millie the Model 132 & Millie the Model Annual 4

Modeling with Millie 42

Patsy Walker 123

Sgt. Fury 23

Strange Tales 138

TOS 71

TTA 73

Two-Gun Kid 78

It provides another interesting way to look at issues outside of "title run".

Very impressive, and great new slant on the collecting angles. :applause:

I'd love to see some posted once you've completed them. And it's always interesting to see what was happening when in relation to different titles. A lot of us do get title-centric sometimes.

Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

Very impressive, and great new slant on the collecting angles. :applause:

I'd love to see some posted once you've completed them. And it's always interesting to see what was happening when in relation to different titles. A lot of us do get title-centric sometimes.

Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

I promise I'll post it as soon as I'm done.

Here are some issues that I never get tired of looking at. I may have posted them before in other threads, but, eh, what the hay:

Bill

Great "King Kong" Skull Island inspired cover:

tta_01.jpg

Nice Ditko cover:

tta_02.jpg

Great Giant Robot cover:

tta_03.jpg

White Mountian:

TTA_04.jpg

Another WM:

TTA_05.jpg

Glad you like em! Now I have an excuse to show a few more!

Ditko at his best...

tta_07.jpg

Great Kirby pencils/Ditko inks story.

tta_12a.jpg

The Mighty THORRS

tta_16.jpg

He's big, he's bad, he's...wax?

tta_17.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

Here are some issues that I never get tired of looking at. I may have posted them before in other threads, but, eh, what the hay:

Bill

Great "King Kong" Skull Island inspired cover:

tta_01.jpg

Nice Ditko cover:

tta_02.jpg

Great Giant Robot cover:

tta_03.jpg

White Mountian:

TTA_04.jpg

Another WM:

TTA_05.jpg

Thats a hand full of candy..Great early TTA's, I think I've seen all those cover creatures, on my son's Yu-Gi-OH's cards..Where are those royalty cheques going?? lol

A recent find....

AhHHHH....bad scan..but if you squint real hard you can see the white pages...I'll see if I can get the old scanner going..and re-post a pic.

58169-79-9.6.jpg.52f19edbb8cebf1115d3df1033226e44.jpg

58177-79-9.6.jpg.90ced9e7cdf1d859ba3ff42632341243.jpg

Edited by BEACHCOMBER

A recent find.... :applause:

AhHHHH....bad scan..but if you squint real hard you can see the white pages...I'll see if I can get the old scanner going..and re-post a pic.

Beach, a kick azz pickup! Such a hard to come by issue in high grade :applause: :applause:

I think your making a few of us look a little asleep on the job here (thumbs u

...actually looking at the scan, I'm a little surprised that book didn't grade higher. The movement around the lower staple is allowable on 9.8's, and the rest of the book seems faultless.

BC, what's it like in the flesh?

Edited by brasseye

Here are a few more TTA's orange/brown monster covers...

Rommbu - great cover... I love any cover that has a monster trashing jets!

tta_19.jpg

Forget gators...I wouldnt want "X" in my sewer pipes..

tta_20.jpg

THE BEST Tales to Astonish cover. Ive said it before..this would have made a GREAT movie poster!

tta_29.jpg

Another White Mountian...Sandman prototype?

tta_32.jpg

Atlas Fan, have a nice 21??

I have em all BHF!

tta_21.jpg

I suspect your interest in this book may be with the Ditko "Hulk" story. This story features a monster from a movie called "The Hulk" that comes to life...or does it???

I would classify this book in the Price Guide as: "first app. a "Hulk" in TTA...

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

Atlas Fan, have a nice 21??

I have em all BHF!

tta_21.jpg

I suspect your interest in this book may be with the Ditko "Hulk" story. This story features a monster from a movie called "The Hulk" that comes to life...or does it???

I would classify this book in the Price Guide as: "first app. a "Hulk" in TTA...

Bill

Yes, it does! I read the story and was disappointed...I guess I was expecting too much, but now I have a better appreciation of the pre-hero prototypes as I have seen some more. I upgraded my low grade copy to a nice cgc 8.0 about a year ago...your books were so clean I wanted to see how nice it was!! MIne was the 2nd highest behind an 8.5 back then...not sure now...

Beah, two stunners!!! :applause::applause::applause:

#97, I've always regarded as fabulous Hulk book, and was for a long time a hard book to locate in grade. And even now looks light compared to other runs arouind the same time.

And #41.. classic early Ant-man cover!! TTA envy all the way!

Though seeing your other posting's, I thought you were more just the Hulk afficianado (shrug)