• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

My focus is on collecting the TTA that have the Hulk, but I'm beginning to appreciate more and more the pre-hero issues. Wish I had the discretionary funds to afford nice copies of those books. The examples in this thread are really stunning. I really like #8 (love mummy covers!) but I'm especially partial to #34. When I was about 10, I found a copy of Monsters on the Prowl #29 at a swap meet and thought it was super-cool.

While I prefer the Hulk covers to the Sub-Mariners, I really like #71 and especially #78.

Edited by Number 6

Forgive me for diverting the thread with a newbie question, but it just occurred to me: Is it bad form to post pictures of books you don't own in an appreciation thread?

I mean, the pictures I posted are of books that most likely belong to someone on the boards. They really deserve the bragging rights to these books.

Probably not a good idea but if you flip through this thread I'm sure you can find a few copies that are praise worthy, no harm in that.

Ok, fixed. (thumbs u

Well, here's a couple of books from this title I actually DO own, my nostalgic favorites of the series.

Like most kids growing up in the 70's, my first exposure to comic characters was through cartoons, TV shows and toys. Because of the Marvel Star Wars comic adaptation, I thought super hero comics were the spin-offs, not the other way around.

On one of our trips to the library when I was 6 or 7 I discovered Bring On the Bad Guys. I don't know how I found it because it was in the art book section. Anyway, at the time I had just seen Creature of the Black Lagoon on TV so the Abomination made a HUGE impression on me. Bring On, Son of Origins, and Batman/Superman 30's - 70's were my first clue that comics had a history that went beyond the current TV shows and merchandise.

When I started collecting comics as a teen, I searched through the OSPG notations for the Incredible Hulk looking for the 1st appearance of the Abomination and, of course, never found it.

When I started collecting again a few years ago, I checked out Bring On from the library again and this time actually read Stan's commentary (as a kid, I was only interested in the comics) and discovered that the story was reprinted from TTA. :idea:

These issues are what really got me turned onto super hero comics as a kid, nice to have them back in my collection.

TalesToAstonish90cgc.jpg

TalesToAstonish91cgc.jpg

Nice copies! I always like the Abomination! :applause:

One of my early comic memories is reading about mini-Hulk beating the tar out of the Abomination's inner ear in the Peter David/Dale Keown run. The Hulk was my favorite probably due in large part to my being an angry ginger. :mad:

Very cool thread indeed!

As some of you know, my focus shifted to Golden Age about six years ago, and away from SA Marvels. However, recently it has returned as prices have begun to come way down on the Silver stuff. About two years ago, I slowly started buying nice TTAs in the 60-80 issue range, since they were some of my favorites (First Hulk in title, First solo Submariner, etc.). I still don't get why TTA # 70 for instance, still sells for less then Sub-Mariner # 1, which came nearly three years later. When a Sub-Mariner movie gets made, and it probably will at some point, that's a book that's bound to take off.

The recent round of auctions have blessed my collection with about a half dozen new additions, and have allowed me to adjust my focus backwards into the Antman/Giant Man portion of the run as well (which seem to be heading back to 2000-2003, i.e. pre "run-up" prices, making it a good buying opportunity for collectors who just love the books).

I'll be sure to scan a bunch of them when I'm on vacation in a few weeks. I think I also have a bunch of duplicates I'll have to put up for sale in a sales thread soon as well. Until then, I eagerly await seeing everyone else's new acquistions.