• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

George I agree, TTA#70 is under valued but perhaps the cover [in comparison to Buscema's piece] is what draws more people to Subby #1? When I first started posting on these boards on of the first runs I tried to complete were TTA's. As my eyes opened to other GA books I sold them off but I'm back with vengance the last year or so buying mostly high grade SA stuff. I love them all but high SA stuff is special as it just reminds of being 10 years old again, gazing at my LCS's wall and through their display case for the first time at all these wonderful early Marvel's that I could only dream about owning at the time. That moment is forever burned in my memory. :cloud9:

My favorite Tales To Astonish stories were the issues #60 - #75 with the extended plotline of the Leader trying to recruit the Hulk and then sending him to the Watcher's home planet to steal the Watcher's Utimate Machine. Here's a summation with original art:

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/Facebook/comicbookmemories2/astonish/astonish.html

I still don't get why TTA # 70 for instance, still sells for less then Sub-Mariner # 1, which came nearly three years later. When a Sub-Mariner movie gets made, and it probably will at some point, that's a book that's bound to take off.

I've always thought the same thing about Showcase #30 and Aquaman #1, but I guess that's a bit off-topic.

I'll be sure to scan a bunch of them when I'm on vacation in a few weeks. I think I also have a bunch of duplicates I'll have to put up for sale in a sales thread soon

:taptaptap:

Dunno if its being talked about elsewhere, but holy mess!

do not look directly at this book

That book has been on the market for a while. The seller wanted something like $30,000 on Clink, and I have kept an eye out waiting for them to give up and put it up for auction. I am dying to see what it could bring.

Photo for the lazy.

RAD3910E2013122_141358.jpg

I just picked these two books up from Wordlwide Comics to bring my Ant-Man run to within 2 of completion. I'm ecstatic that I was able to buy the twin cities #36 as I already have the twin cities #35. :whee:

TalesToAstonish36_zpsf64eebf9.jpg

TalesToAstonish48_zpsbea02615.jpg

I just picked these two books up from Wordlwide Comics to bring my Ant-Man run to within 2 of completion. I'm ecstatic that I was able to buy the twin cities #36 as I already have the twin cities #35. :whee:

TalesToAstonish36_zpsf64eebf9.jpg

TalesToAstonish48_zpsbea02615.jpg

Great, great copies of two tough to find in grade books. Congrats.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I now just need #46 & 47, both of which, especially 46, are pretty difficult to find in 9.0 or above. It's been a blast putting together this run so far.
That 36 is fantastic!!!!

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I now just need #46 & 47, both of which, especially 46, are pretty difficult to find in 9.0 or above. It's been a blast putting together this run so far.
That 36 is fantastic!!!!

Thanks green! I never thought I would own a copy this nice. And the colors and gloss... :cloud9:

That 36 is fantastic!!!!

Thanks green! I never thought I would own a copy this nice. And the colors and gloss... :cloud9:

Great copy from a great pedigree!! :applause:

That 36 is fantastic!!!!

:acclaim:

Thanks!

Are you close to completing the series?

That 36 is fantastic!!!!

Thanks!

Not that you were asking me....but I need 5 more issues for #1 up. :cloud9:

That 36 is fantastic!!!!

Thanks!

Not that you were asking me....but I need 5 more issues for #1 up. :cloud9:

:applause:

That's a tough run to complete!