• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

Hmmm question....and this looks like the right thread/forum...

Why is Tales to Astonish #27 so valued? To me, it is the introduction of a really weak superhero...I mean I consider myself a seasoned collector and don't mean to anger anyone, but aside from the more historical angle of the book on introducing a silver age superhero in one of the 4 major anthologies of that time, and the Kirby angle. I just don't see why the prices for this book are so incredibly high...Since I have made it a mission of mine to collect all the #1's of the 4 pre-Hero anthologies I have to find Tales to Astonish #1 and get it even though I don't really want it...Why? Cause it's the series that introduced Ant-Man...gahhhh

someone enlighten me and shut me up....

Why is Tales to Astonish #27 so valued? To me, it is the introduction of a really weak superhero...I mean I consider myself a seasoned collector and don't mean to anger anyone, but aside from the more historical angle of the book on introducing a silver age superhero in one of the 4 major anthologies of that time, and the Kirby angle. I just don't see why the prices for this book are so incredibly high...Since I have made it a mission of mine to collect all the #1's of the 4 pre-Hero anthologies I have to find Tales to Astonish #1 and get it even though I don't really want it...Why? Cause it's the series that introduced Ant-Man...gahhhh

Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that one as well. :popcorn:

1st Hank Pym, low print run, and more recently a movie was announced so don't expect it to drop.

4.0s are bringing 300-400$ more compared to 60 days ago.

Edited by dscott

I could cite a bunch of reasons, but the answer might be as simple as it's a key, SA Marvel, and lots of people collect key, SA Marvel.

I could cite a bunch of reasons, but the answer might be as simple as it's a key, SA Marvel, and lots of people collect key, SA Marvel.

I think he knows its a key :gossip:

I think the point he was trying to make in a nice way is that Ant-man is lame perhaps? A matter of opinion perhaps but understandable.

Yeah, I picked up on that. :grin: But the same way he feels the need to buy a TTA #1, lots more feel the need to buy a TTA 27. Lots of people want all the Marvel keys. Are any of them cheap? I own a TTA 27, and not because I think Ant-Man is awesome.

tta28.jpg

Awesome book, Jason!

What would that sell for now?

Is there a significant premium because it was one of Nic's?

:roflmao:

If anything, i paid less since the hack that tortured us with that steaming pile of garbage called Ghost Rider has his name on the label :gossip:

Seriously though, i have a hard time figuring what to pay on some of these since there is so little gpa data. I just put in the bid i was comfortable paying with no real guidance from gpa.

A 7.0 sold like a month ago for $210. A 7.5 sold a year ago for $372. An 8.5 sold for $282 back in 2006. Not a lot of help there ???

I paid $420 which was a decent amount lower than my max bid. granted this has c/ow pages so that might have hurt the bids but i was happy with the price. I'm not real big on following pre-heros so maybe i paid too much??? (shrug)

Seriously though, i have a hard time figuring what to pay on some of these since there is so little gpa data. I just put in the bid i was comfortable paying with no real guidance from gpa.

A 7.0 sold like a month ago for $210. A 7.5 sold a year ago for $372. An 8.5 sold for $282 back in 2006. Not a lot of help there ???

I paid $420 which was a decent amount lower than my max bid. granted this has c/ow pages so that might have hurt the bids but i was happy with the price. I'm not real big on following pre-heros so maybe i paid too much??? (shrug)

I'd take as many of pre-hero books as I can at that price/grade all day long, nice grab.

Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that one as well. :popcorn:

A key is still a key, first appearance has to be worth something. I've never had the urge to buy a copy but maybe once I fill up my TTA run I might eventually look to buy one.

+1

Ant-Man may be considered lame but the larger picture is the footprint Dr Henry Pym has left on the Marvel Universe. Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Yellowjacket, Ultron, Vision all stem from him. Even all that may still seem kind of lame but the Avengers series is Pym IMO. TTA27 is a major key in my book (shrug)