• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

The Billy Wright pedigree Planet Comics #1 CGC 7.0 at auction over at Heritage has 18 days of bidding left and the price is currently at $8,400. 

What are your predictions on how much this one goes for?

A lot;) :foryou:

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:
2 hours ago, Spyder! said:

The Billy Wright pedigree Planet Comics #1 CGC 7.0 at auction over at Heritage has 18 days of bidding left and the price is currently at $8,400. 

What are your predictions on how much this one goes for?

A lot;):foryou:

+20% :)

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Been known to happen. 

There are no 'must haves' for me, thank goodness. Technical grades may be much higher on issues listed, but by no means are the colors deep enough to tempt me.So no listing of undercopies for me. Looking at his copies now, lends me a speculative impression of Edgar Church the collector - a completist for certain, but either unaware of color differences in Fiction House, or merely disinterested. In an alternate reality, Edgar notices the difference in color saturation from copy to copy, and asks the drugstore supplier to send him only the ones with saturated color. Thank goodness this is only in my imagination, for the sake of my zombie bank account, but imagine what might have been!!

52 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

There are no 'must haves' for me, thank goodness. Technical grades may be much higher on issues listed, but by no means are the colors deep enough to tempt me.So no listing of undercopies for me. Looking at his copies now, lends me a speculative impression of Edgar Church the collector - a completist for certain, but either unaware of color differences in Fiction House, or merely disinterested. In an alternate reality, Edgar notices the difference in color saturation from copy to copy, and asks the drugstore supplier to send him only the ones with saturated color. Thank goodness this is only in my imagination, for the sake of my zombie bank account, but imagine what might have been!!

Was there ever anything to suggest Church was interested in comic books at all?  At best some reference library for his commercial work?  He is revered but in reality may be have been more of a compulsive freak than a fanboy.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Was there ever anything to suggest Church was interested in comic books at all?  At best some reference library for his commercial work?  He is revered but in reality may be have been more of a compulsive freak than a fanboy.

I tend to think that way as very few books were ever read that is why i have more respect for the Larson collection.A little kid that read a few and neatly put them away as so many of us did.

1 minute ago, comicjack said:

I tend to think that way as very few books were ever read that is why i have more respect for the Larson collection.A little kid that read a few and neatly put them away as so many of us did.

I take your point, and its a good one. The mystique of the EC collection however is that most of them were unread,making condition second to none, and the vastness of it, and the way they were stored arguably gave rise to natural pressing. So many great stories about pedigree collections, but Edgar will always be the daddy I think.

1 minute ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I take your point, and its a good one. The mystique of the EC collection however is that most of them were unread,making condition second to none, and the vastness of it, and the way they were stored arguably gave rise to natural pressing. So many great stories about pedigree collections, but Edgar will always be the daddy I think.

And i feel it will never be matched at this point !

"His heirs, for reasons I was never able to clearly understand, had an extreme antipathy toward anything paper that Mr. Church had accumulated during his lifetime. One theory I have about their dislike of his files is that the cost of all the comics and magazines that Mr. Church purchased during the 1920-1955 period put a severe drain on the family finances. Mr. Church collected every super-hero and adventure/horror comic printed, quite a few non-super-hero comics, vast numbers of pulp magazines, and even a large quantity of magazines with line-art covers. The cost of all those purchases, plus the fact that his files ended up filling darn near the entire basement, must have been quite an annoyance to the rest of his family."

"During the period from about 1925-1953 he was on the staff of Mountain Bell, the phone company for the Rocky Mountain region. He worked in the advertising department, designing and drawing ads for the first commercial directories (later to be know as Yellow Pages)."

Anyone care to tally up his purchases as a percentage of his potential disposable family income?  Edgar could probably be the poster boy for anyone who has had a problem with a wife who disapproved of their collecting "hobby".  Who do you think that padlock was meant to keep out - thieves?  his kids, so they wouldn't get their disgusting dirty little hands on his preciouses?  or his wife, so she wouldbn't destroy them in a hate filled rage?  nice guy eh?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

"His heirs, for reasons I was never able to clearly understand, had an extreme antipathy toward anything paper that Mr. Church had accumulated during his lifetime. One theory I have about their dislike of his files is that the cost of all the comics and magazines that Mr. Church purchased during the 1920-1955 period put a severe drain on the family finances. Mr. Church collected every super-hero and adventure/horror comic printed, quite a few non-super-hero comics, vast numbers of pulp magazines, and even a large quantity of magazines with line-art covers. The cost of all those purchases, plus the fact that his files ended up filling darn near the entire basement, must have been quite an annoyance to the rest of his family."

"During the period from about 1925-1953 he was on the staff of Mountain Bell, the phone company for the Rocky Mountain region. He worked in the advertising department, designing and drawing ads for the first commercial directories (later to be know as Yellow Pages)."

Anyone care to tally up his purchases as a percentage of his potential disposable family income?  Edgar could probably be the poster boy for anyone who has had a problem with a wife who disapproved of their collecting "hobby".  Who do you think that padlock was meant to keep out - thieves?  his kids, so they wouldn't get their disgusting dirty little hands on his preciouses?  or his wife, so she wouldbn't destroy them in a hate filled rage?  nice guy eh?

Interesting post, altho' I am confused as to why you would infer that he wasn't a nice guy? He was just protecting what he loved. As collectors, we have all been there.

4 hours ago, szavisca said:

Would there have been much variation within the same store’s copies for anyone to have known the difference?

Probably not - it was just a fantasy - that the Church copies would also be the most colorful. #15 may be such - but CC scans sometimes enhance the reds, as I've learned to my considerable cost.[Not suggesting for an instant that this is intentional - scanner images are rarely 'true.']

11 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Probably not - it was just a fantasy - that the Church copies would also be the most colorful. #15 may be such - but CC scans sometimes enhance the reds, as I've learned to my considerable cost.[Not suggesting for an instant that this is intentional - scanner images are rarely 'true.']

I am very sure it is intentional based on my experiences of buying raw books from them over the years.

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I am very sure it is intentional based on my experiences of buying raw books from them over the years.

It had to be said, because it's true.