• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

Mark, that is a very nice copy of a very rare book. Where did you get it? Is it unrestored?

I am in the midst of negotiating a purchase of most of the More Funs between 9 - 36 (including three Church copies). Those issues I don't buy outright I will be selling for the owner. As far as I can tell, it is unrestored.

It's amazing how relatively common these books are (at least in low grade). You'd think they'd be somewhat rare given their age, but there's almost always one for sale on ebay. They must have printed millions of them. That's a lot of Corn Flakes. smile.gif

(Edit: BTW, I did win that SS 20. It's fugly to be sure, but it's mine. cloud9.gif)

Edited by Theagenes

It's amazing how relatively common these books are (at least in low grade). You'd think they'd be somewhat rare given their age, but there's almost always one for sale on ebay. They must have printed millions of them. That's a lot of Corn Flakes. smile.gif

(Edit: BTW, I did win that SS 20. It's fugly to be sure, but it's mine. cloud9.gif)

Great! Did you get it in yet?

Here you go Mark - some real Plats i picked up here and there last year

This Outcault comic book published by Cupples & Leon came out in 1906 reprinting a decent selection from the strips short-lived run thru most of 1905 - a cross blend between the grittiness of Yellow Kid and the more homogenized Buster Brown, which had gone national a few years before.

Outcault's Pore Lil'l Mose was published in 1901, not so much a sequential comic strip as RFO's latter stuff

BuddyTucker1905.jpg

BuddyTucker1905BACK.jpg

PoreLilMoses1901.jpg

PoreLilMoses1901BACK.jpg

and life is not complete in the eyes of most comic book collectors unless their get their daily Segar - so check out Beerbohm's version of "Have A Cigar...." with delectable Segar:

From Sonnett Publishing 1931, this is the first Popeye book

PopeyeThimble01.jpg

Here is a 1932 Popeye Segar from McLaughlin - has comic strips to paint in your self, with half the book pre-printed in color on the left, you fill in a B&W version on the right

PopeyePaintBook.jpg

and here we have the back cover to Segar's Popeye and the Gold Mine Thieves 1935 published by David McKay, - this is one of the very last 10x10 format comic books

PopeyeGoldMineThievesBACK.jpg

PopeyeGoldMineThieves.jpg