• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

I actually have the dustjacket for this 1926 book, which makes it more valuable, but the underlying cover is far, far more beautiful in its colorful depiction. The vibrancy on these colors after more than 80 years is simply amazing!!!!

Funnyfolks.jpg

To have the dust jacket for that book is a truly rare thing, indeed. I agree, though, that the cover of the books itself is more fun. Did you get the copy with dj that was on ebay a few years back? (I was bidding on it, obviously did not get it)

Edited by Weird Paper

I actually have the dustjacket for this 1926 book, which makes it more valuable, but the underlying cover is far, far more beautiful in its colorful depiction. The vibrancy on these colors after more than 80 years is simply amazing!!!!

Funnyfolks.jpg

To have the dust jacket for that book is a truly rare thing, indeed. I agree, though, that the cover of the books itself is more fun. Did you get the copy with dj that was on ebay a few years back? (I was bidding on it, obviously did not get it)

No, I purchased mine from another collector at SD this year. But it is possible he bought it off of ebay back then. Any recollection what it sold for?

Funnyfolks.jpg

No, I purchased mine from another collector at SD this year. But it is possible he bought it off of ebay back then. Any recollection what it sold for?

It was a stunning copy. As I recall, it went for over a grand--very unusual for a plat on ebay.

It might even have been as much as 4 or 5 years ago.

Funnyfolks.jpg

It was a stunning copy. As I recall, it went for over a grand--very unusual for a plat on ebay.

It might even have been as much as 4 or 5 years ago.

Well that I like to hear! :banana:

A gorgeous copy of a very cool anniversary cover. This is from Lloyd Jacquet's files (which is why there is a check on the cover). The colors are MUCH deeper. The "dirt" on the cover is from my scanner.

Famous-Funnies144.jpg

I like it (thumbs u

2873180430_e4ae1c5800.jpg

This copy of Cowboy Out Our Way should be listed in the Platinum Age section of the price guide.

2873295816_7c4ceb2506.jpg

But this Kids Out Our Way was reprinted many times and this printing was from the Golden Age I think.

All of my Foxy Grandpa covers are too large to fit on my scanner.

They are often cut up and used as individual strips in a new frame.

The same thing happens to Gibson books. Gibson was a terrific cartoonist and the art was sometimes sequential

(such as his baseball game series which predates Mutt and Jeff).

Why isn't the Adventures of Mickey Mouse listed in Platinum Age instead of regular listings?

2889208496_1b3daf518d_o.jpg

And are these other books listed anywhere?

bb

2873118176_5761be511d.jpg

2872288133_7b4147b9c2.jpg

None of these books are in a comic format but the first is listed in the guide but the others are not I think.

Edited by BB-Gun

Some stunning books on this thread. Thanks for showing them. Plat is where it's at!

Just posted on a thread about Plat storage -

E. Gerber Mylar Archives Item #1218R fits many Plat age comics perfectly.

79163.jpg.bffed417c75d2217dc627772812010e6.jpg

Stiff Mylar usually protects a book well. These bricks often have built in "backing boards" - covers of heavy or stiff cardboard - which makes them a pleasure to hold and read.

But sometimes that also made the covers prone to creasing and cracking, making well-preserved copies of some titles tough to find.