• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

You know this is the first time I've seen these three books together and I didn't realize that Detective Dan was slightly larger than the other two. That would seem to suggest that DD was printed first, then the size was reduced for the following two, perhaps to cut costs. I've wondered about the order of publication of these Humor books. If DD came first and Ace King has the ad for Happy Mulligan, which may or may not have ever been printed, then it would seem that a tenative relative chronology for them would be:

1. Detective Dan

2. Bob Scully

3. Ace King

4. Happy Mulligan (?)

Detective Dan is the 1st printed of the three, and therefore is the universally recognized key of the trio. acclaim.gif As a collector, I break down my books into 3 different desirability categories: semi-key, key, and mega-key. Within this personal rating system, Detective Dan is a mega-key hail.gif, and the other 2 would be keys. As far as which came next after Detective Dan....I don't know. The order that you have placed them in could very well be correct. I know if a Happy Mulligan ever surfaces 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, I sure would be aggressive in trying to add it to my collection takeit.gif

Edited by showcase-4

Detective Dan is the 1st printed of the three, and therefore is the universally recognized key of the trio. acclaim.gif

Is that known for sure? I didn't think we had that much information about these books. I am very curious as to your source for this. Certainly the size difference would seem to make it likely.

As a collector, I break down my books into 3 different desirability categories: semi-key, key, and mega-key. Within this personal rating system, Detective Dan is a mega-key hail.gif, and the other 2 would be keys. As far as which came next after Detective Dan....I don't know. The order that you have placed them in could very well be correct. I know if a Happy Mulligan ever surfaces 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, I sure would be aggressive in trying to add it to my collection takeit.gif

Is anything known about how widely these books were distributed and how many were printed? Obviously, they made it to Cleveland.

Detective Dan is universally recognized as the 1st of the Humor books by every written comics history book and article I have read / internet search / knowledgable dealer or collector I have ever spoke to.....so unless all those sources are wrong, yes I'm sure wink.gif. As far as distrubtion numbers..that I don't know. Based on how few copies of this book there are out there, I would think Humor did not set any distribution records 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Edited by showcase-4

1369515-humor.jpg

Here are all three if Steve's Humor books for you to enjoy easier

- elements of all three of these can be found on the Superman cover i saved from extinction back in 1970 - the first Superman cover Joe Shuster drew up in early 1933

Edited by blbcomics

1369515-humor.jpg

Here are all three Humor books for you to enjoy easier - elements of all three of these can be found on the Superman cover i saved from extinction back in 1970 - the first Superman cover Joe Shuster drew up in early 1933

893applaud-thumb.gif

Bob, forgive me if you mentioned this before, but are these copies from your personal collection or scans of books that you have sold over the years (and retained the scan) or items currently in your inventory for sale?

A little bit of both, some are for sale, some are personal copies - just depends, i have dups on some of these,

I have not yet begun to post ones i do not have any more like sold off copies - notice i did not yet post a scan of Mutt & Jeff #5 In the Trenches cuz some lawyer sweet talked me out of it in NYC last Feb -:)

Bob,

As long as you're active on here, let me toss one at you. I recently turned up a pretty nice copy of the 26-page version of Buster Brown and his Pets. I noticed in the guide, you have no prices listed on that reprint version. Is that because its existence had not yet been verified? Is it that much more rare than the 58-pager, or was it just an omission?

By the way, thanks for sharing all these with us. It's great fun to see them all--some beautiful copies there, too.

I just looked up what you ask about - that is just an omission

- i had meant to come back to fill in a price and will make sure it is filled into the next Guide -

who was the publisher? Stokes or C&L?

sounds like you have a nice collection as well - can you post some of your treasures?

I just looked up what you ask about - that is just an omission

- i had meant to come back to fill in a price and will make sure it is filled into the next Guide -

who was the publisher? Stokes or C&L?

sounds like you have a nice collection as well - can you post some of your treasures?

Thanks. I think I'd have a hard time coming up with something you don't have, but some of my best plats are posted earlier in this thread (Mose, Alfonse and Gaston). My favorite plat is Willie and His Papa (also posted earlier in this thread).

The BB and his Pets 26-pager is C&L.

Here's a pretty nifty one--guest starring the Chinese Yellow Kid.

1370050-busterdis.jpg

1370050-busterdis.jpg.8a7bf35ee550f0712232685dbf5be527.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper