• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

Super-breath prototype!

I agree, wonderful cover.

Jack

LittleSammySneeze.jpg

LITTLE SAMMY SNEEZE #1 bt Winsor McCay came out at Christmas 1905

- to me, the coolest Plat comic book cover of all time - and this is a nice copy!!

Thanks. I think I'd have a hard time coming up with something you don't have, but some of my best plats are posted earlier in this thread (Mose, Alfonse and Gaston). My favorite plat is Willie and His Papa (also posted earlier in this thread).

The BB and his Pets 26-pager is C&L.

Here's a pretty nifty one--guest starring the Chinese Yellow Kid.

1370050-busterdis.jpg

Well, right off the bat here you go - a book i have never had before

- will have to beat dem bushes around 'til i come up with one - this

is a nice BB item - I like it, thanks for posting it!!

I just went back and looked at the earlier postings - yes, I agree, WILLIE AND HIS POPPA is wonderful Opper - one of my faves as well - I also have the Nye comics history Opper pumped so much juice into - my favorite Opper piece i have is 1924 original Opper Sunday for Happy Hooligan with the Maud topper piece

And i do not yet have that Alphonse & Gastone, one i have been hunting for a while how

Bob, forgive me if you mentioned this before, but are these copies from your personal collection or scans of books that you have sold over the years (and retained the scan) or items currently in your inventory for sale?

A little bit of both, some are for sale, some are personal copies - just depends, i have dups on some of these,

I have not yet begun to post ones i do not have any more like sold off copies - notice i did not yet post a scan of Mutt & Jeff #5 In the Trenches cuz some lawyer sweet talked me out of it in NYC last Feb -:)

Forever preserved on my website and here:

MuttandJeff.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

sorry I'm struggling with posting images without you having to click on the attachment ( above ), but this one is well worth it. This is one of my favorite Platinum Age books yay.gif....and it's not a key. This is, to the best of my knowledge and others who I have checked with, the NICEST KNOWN COPY 893crossfingers-thumb.gif of ANY issue of Comic Monthly by Embee. This is issue #5 from 1922 ( as were all 12 issues- printed from January to December) All Comic Monthly's are extremely condition sensitive, as they have very thin soft covers. When these books rarely surface, they are typically in G/VG condition...on a good day. They are notorious for having sizable spine splits. This copy is a stunning hail.gif VF 8.0 unrestored with off-white pages headbang.gif....enjoy.

1370637-comicmonthly(4).jpg.a6410ba74daa2b76cd811b0aed73d7ad.jpg

Edited by showcase-4

Detective Dan is universally recognized as the 1st of the Humor books by every written comics history book and article I have read / internet search / knowledgable dealer or collector I have ever spoke to.....so unless all those sources are wrong, yes I'm sure wink.gif. As far as distrubtion numbers..that I don't know. Based on how few copies of this book there are out there, I would think Humor did not set any distribution records 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not disputing that DD was the first of the three, I'm just genuinely curious as to how this conclusion was reached and if there is new information that has come to light about them. Back in the 80's when I got out of collecting the only publication dates listed for them in OPG was 'mid-1930s.' When I got back in a few years ago, they had now been dated to early 1933. I'm guessing that this date came from S&S interviews, but this is the first time I've seen someone definitively state that DD was the first printed of the three. I'm just curious as to what new info came to light that I probably missed in the 90's. If you could give me a specific reference I would be most appreciative. I did a google search but the only sites I found that said this were yours (your museum page, your eBay About Me page, etc.).

Bob, can you shed some light on this for me? I seem to remember you mentioning in an older thread (the before New Fun thread I think) that you wrote an article about the Humor books in an early issue of CBM. Does anyone know what issue # that was? Thanks.

Super-breath prototype!

I agree, wonderful cover.

Jack

LittleSammySneeze.jpg

LITTLE SAMMY SNEEZE #1 bt Winsor McCay came out at Christmas 1905

- to me, the coolest Plat comic book cover of all time - and this is a nice copy!!

Stunning!

Detective Dan is universally recognized as the 1st of the Humor books by every written comics history book and article I have read / internet search / knowledgable dealer or collector I have ever spoke to.....so unless all those sources are wrong, yes I'm sure wink.gif. As far as distrubtion numbers..that I don't know. Based on how few copies of this book there are out there, I would think Humor did not set any distribution records 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you could give me a specific reference I would be most appreciative. I did a google search but the only sites I found that said this were yours (your museum page, your eBay About Me page, etc.).

how's this.......

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=6484&si=123

and this....

http://www.teako170.com/chronology.html

all 3 books were 1933 issues by Humor, but only Detective Dan is referenced as "the 1st" (newsstand comic, original art comic, single theme comic)

This is a dream book for collectors of historically important books such as your truly wink.gif

Edited by showcase-4

Thanks, I didn't see those, but it still doesn't tell me how this conclusion was reached. Has somebody found some publication data? Was it based on recollections by Siegel or Shuster? Or is it just a reasonable deduction based on its size? These are all very different levels of evidence.

BTW, is that your copy in the Scoop article?

Thanks, I didn't see those, but it still doesn't tell me how this conclusion was reached. Has somebody found some publication data? Was it based on recollections by Siegel or Shuster? Or is it just a reasonable deduction based on its size? These are all very different levels of evidence.

BTW, is that your copy in the Scoop article?

I have never questioned the status of Detective Dan as the 1st of the 3 books....may be more of a historian question. Bob B. should be making his way to this post sometime today I would think. Hey Bob, can you take a stab at answering this?

As for the Detective Dan referenced in the Scoop article...I was the 2nd highest bidder, but someone out-sniped me in the last 2 seconds. It was painful, but these things happen.

I have never questioned the status of Detective Dan as the 1st of the 3 books....may be more of a historian question. Bob B. should be making his way to this post sometime today I would think. Hey Bob, can you take a stab at answering this?

I hope so or that I can track down his CBM article. Like I said, I'm sure all this was probably established in the late-80's or early 90's when I was out of the hobby. I'm just trying to catch up on what I missed.

DetectiveDan.jpg

Here is the copy from SCOOP

back about a decade ago, i wrote an article in Comic Book Marketplace #36 titled "The First Superman Cover" and discussed attributes re Shuster's first Superman cover.

There is mention by Jules Feiffer in THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES in a foot note regarding THE FUNNIES #1 as being 1929 and DETECTIVE DAN being 1933

We do know that Jerry & Joe began creating The Superman for Humor following a meeting with "the publisher" who came to Cleveland from Chicago for a business meeting with NEA, a newspaper syndicate.

I think that publisher was none other than Norman Marsh, who lived in Chicago

He was the creator of Detective Dan

Jerry & Joe were still doing their fanzine SCIENCE FICTION, last issue #5 dated May 1933 if i remember correctly, don't want to go look at my files right now

By Sept/Oct 1933 Dan Dunn Secret Operative 48 began as a newspaper comic strip distributed thru Cleveland based NEA

Around that time, Humor's unknown "publisher" returned the Superman comic book to Joe, who, in a fit of angst ripped up the original art and thru it into the fire - so the story goes, Jerry retrieved just the cover out of the fire and that is what i restored and had double size posters printed up back in 1971

Everything we do have in the public record leans towards Detective dan being the first of the three known published Humor books - but we will never know for sure, the Rosetta Stone on this will most likely never be re-discovered.

Thank you, Bob! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I'll see if I can find a copy of CBM 36. Like I said in my post earlier in the thread, the larger size of DD would also seem to suggest it was the first of three.

Interesting stuff, especially regarding Norman Marsh as the possible publisher of the Humor books. That would be an avenue of research worth following up on. Should his name be up there with Wildenberg, Gaines, Delacorte, Wheeler-Nicholoson, et al.? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Around the same time that Carter decided to run "the First Superman Cover" in CBM, the Thompsons also ran a similar piece by me in Comics Buyer's Guide

See, Jerry Siegel had just died - and i had sent a solicitation to both pubs who sat on the article.

When Jerry died, they both rushed to print

both edited out about a third of the piece to fit their respective mags

each cut out a different section

to read the whole thing, you need to get both versions

Carter placed some of my data in his piece on clues comparing that Superman cover i had rescued to Detective Dan -

one also might want to track down CBM #50 with my "Big Bang Theory of Comic Book History", as well as "DC's Tangled Roots" by Will Murray in CBM #51 - these give more data as then known a decade ago on origins of how Superman came to be on many levels

Yes, it is entirely possible that Norman Marsh should be "up there" with the other gents you mention - time for comics archeologists to get into gear, wot?

DeadwoodGulch.jpg

DEADWOOD GULCH #1 Dell 1931 52 pager

- a scarce comic book of original material by Charles "Boody" Rogers.

Pre-dates Detective Dan by a couple years

DEADWOOD GULCH was published by Dell, and contained material that was originally slated for THE FUNNIES 1929-30 series, the first news stand original material comic book. This is an original material sleeper, see also Bug Movies and Clancy The Cop #1 and #2, also published by Dell 1930-31. Dell was one of THE major forces in creating the news stand comic book, a concept that most collectors still do not understand properly. DEADWOOD GULCH is a rare comic book.

Boody Rogers created SPARKY WATTS which ran in BIG SHOT COMICS as well as 9 issues of his own title, a beloved favorite of a number of collectors, under the radar of most collectors, though - i like Spark a lot. Boody also created BABE, DARLING OF THE HILLS which ran 11 issues