• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL 2 starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
4 4

445 posts in this topic

The rumor of budget keeps coming up as what may have really drove the drastic shift from 'in' vs. 'out' for Henry Cavill. And with the news recently of the WB-Discovery write-offs being much larger (in the billions) than originally reported, it would seem realistic. Look what they did with Batgirl being close to done.

On 12/16/2022 at 3:32 PM, fmaz said:

Plus, remember that Marvel has done a lot of the heavy lifting for the non-comic reading public on the concept of the multi-verse… so that they’re able to say that ALL of these films and characters do exist inside the same wide ranging DC multiverse if so choose, but they also operate completely independently — at least for now.  That way, if they decide to mix and match characters (such as bringing in the new Batman with some leftovers from the DCEU, they can do so.  Or not.  It puts all options on the the table.. and they won’t have to jump through hoops to explain it to people. Marvel has already done that.  Flash, we assume, will serve to set up the rules by which the DC’s version of the multiverse operates, or at least we hope that’s what happens.

So I guess this is what I’m kind of counting on when I say I’m looking forward to Gunn laying out his “plan”… just explaining the mechanics for how things will work going forward. He can do this by announcing a movie or two, doesn’t have to be 10 movies… but it would be nice if we got a roadmap to how it will work. 

And even before the MCU involved multiverses, the early CW/DC shows before they went off the rails had major references to the multiverse/Speedforce going back to 2016. It was the reason CBS's Supergirl and the CW's The Flash could have crossover spots together while being on different Earths. Supergirl Season 1 had over 9M viewers throughout making it a Top 10 show for the season. And later with the Crisis On Infinite Earths special how they brought Ezra Miller and Grant Gustin together as a surprise film-TV crossover.

I agree with you in that the whole roadmap being announced in advance doesn't have to be a thing. Just a few breadcrumbs here and there to keep moviegoers excited. Though with the new DC Studios plan to interconnect Live Film, Shows, Games, Animation - those announcements will need to cover portions of each.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:55 PM, media_junkie said:

Which is crazy to me because at the beginning (and @Bosco685 can drop in his chart that shows the first few Marvel movies and the first few DCEU movies rate of returns), DCEU was doing better than the Marvel (if I am remembering right).

I guess the "powers that be" got cold feet when all the DCEU movies didn't do $1 Billion plus right out the gate (and I'll contend that had WB released the Directors Cut of BvS: Dawn of Justice and not the chopped up spoon they did release they would have had their billion dollar film).

Yeah, I'm the last person to be able to understand what the studios might consider "successful," and of course Marvel announcing movies 3 years in advance didn't obligate them to much unless they were guaranteeing contracts through The Avengers even if they weren't made or something.  To me, the biggest reason DC ought to not announce any future movies is they could kill their future pretty easily if they "fail" again and have to keep cancelling announced projects.  They could create a "credibility gap."

Gunn being in charge of DCEU going forward has a lot of question marks.  He does well with obscure characters where the audience have no ties and no knowledge of what to expect.  Giving him the big guns is a different ask.  Peacemaker was great because he could get away with crazy antics with those goofball characters.  Try throwing in sexual inuendo with Wonder Woman and Superman and you will have a problem.  Maybe we won't see any of the big names for a while which would let him focus on the sillier aspect of the DCEU.  That's where he thrives.  Lobo seems right up his alley.

I'm going to have a hard time picturing anybody other than HC being the modern day Superman.  I thought he was perfect for the role.

Having said that, I'm glad to see the seismic changes taking place.  I don't know if this will make the DCEU better or worse...just happy they recognized something drastic needed to be done and they did it.

***Would love to see a Superman "Year Two" movie

i thought cavill was perfect as supes, but i think the more important issue is the character in general. it might be unpopular to state here, but i seriously doubt superman's ability to do well in the movie market today or going forward. in 1939, the idea of an all-powerful superman who, with his superpowers, could defeat anyone threatening america in the face of the real world aggression of nazi germany was just right for young boys to grab ahold of.

do you really think that no matter what enormously popular, cool, handsome star plays him next, he will be as popular as wolverine, deadpool, batman, spiderman, star wars, joker, harley quinn, super mario brothers, grand theft auto, every other video game that kids love now, every other twitch streamer that the kids love to follow, every youtube star? come on now. there's far too much competition OF A HIGHER INTEREST LEVEL than the very basic premise of superman. (i'm not saying twitch streamers are interesting but kids freaking love it)

all modern superheroes owe superman a debt. but it's time to retire him, at least for awhile.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, alexgross.com said:

i thought cavill was perfect as supes, but i think the more important issue is the character in general. it might be unpopular to state here, but i seriously doubt superman's ability to do well in the movie market today or going forward. in 1939, the idea of an all-powerful superman who, with his superpowers, could defeat anyone threatening america in the face of the real world aggression of nazi germany was just right for young boys to grab ahold of.

do you really think that no matter what enormously popular, cool, handsome star plays him next, he will be as popular as wolverine, deadpool, batman, spiderman, star wars, joker, harley quinn, super mario brothers, grand theft auto, every other video game that kids love now, every other twitch streamer that the kids love to follow, every youtube star? come on now. there's far too much competition OF A HIGHER INTEREST LEVEL than the very basic premise of superman. (i'm not saying twitch streamers are interesting but kids freaking love it)

all modern superheroes owe superman a debt. but it's time to retire him, at least for awhile.

I don't know.  People might be getting tired of the "dark" "gritty" and/or "wiseass" superheroes.  Possible that an old fashioned hero might actually be different enough to appeal.  He speculates.  

It's all going to be how it's done, of course.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, Axelrod said:

I don't know.  People might be getting tired of the "dark" "gritty" and/or "wiseass" superheroes.  Possible that an old fashioned hero might actually be different enough to appeal.  He speculates.  

It's all going to be how it's done, of course.

Henry Cavill struggled conveying anything sincerely. 

He played clueless, stoic, confused, reserved, and angry… all very well. 

But when it came to sincerity, compassion, tranquil, or bewilderment he fell flat. 

On 12/18/2022 at 2:07 PM, D2 said:

Henry Cavill struggled conveying anything sincerely. 

He played clueless, stoic, confused, reserved, and angry… all very well. 

But when it came to sincerity, compassion, tranquil, or bewilderment he fell flat. 

Now I remember how you came on strong in the first Zack Snyder's Justice League thread, hoping it would be much worse than Justice League (2017). Ended up locking the thread permanently. Bummer.

Fortunately, your memory of Henry Cavill is off. Even with his first flight, he is smiling like a surprised kid.

Seriously, you should give MOS and Zack Snyder's Justice League a try again. Add to that BVS Ultimate Edition.

Shame is you blocked me. So you won't see this.

:shy:

On 12/19/2022 at 5:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

Now I remember how you came on strong in the first Zack Snyder's Justice League thread, hoping it would be much worse than Justice League (2017). Ended up locking the thread permanently. Bummer.

Fortunately, your memory of Henry Cavill is off. Even with his first flight, he is smiling like a surprised kid.

Seriously, you should give MOS and Zack Snyder's Justice League a try again. Add to that BVS Ultimate Edition.

Shame is you blocked me. So you won't see this.

:shy:

Sorry, what was that Bosco? 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:51 PM, Cat said:

Sorry, what was that Bosco? 

Come back from a family dinner and I have all the stirring of the stew right here I could have enjoyed.

:baiting:

Yeah, the little act the other day of, "I'm just a fellow fan looking to talk DC movies" was cute. But the on-going dislike (including 300 was a carbon copy of the comic - ignoring the cinematography effort including a special camera to achieve those scenes and the intense soundtrack to make the entire package come together) has been a trend. Which is why the ZSJL thread got shut down to that wonderful attention. Though it was the follow-on heated debates from this post between him and another member (not me) which was the nail in the coffin for that thread.

D2_ZSJL.thumb.PNG.bea7bd6a12b4d4b48b7d09aeb5950370.PNG

Better to have an above-board conversation then pretending so then to most probably alert CGC Mike he was being attacked unjustly.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:57 PM, ak47po said:

https://www.cbr.com/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-cut-from-the-flash-dc/

Gadot's Wonder Woman Joins Cavill's Superman in Being Cut From The Flash

Fresh off Wonder Woman 3's cancelation and Henry Cavill's removal from The Flash, Gal Gadot's cameo in the Ezra Miller standalone film has been cut.

I saw this news the other day, which then some industry reporting sites noted it wasn't correct.

But no word from Gunn on this story just yet. :popcorn:

On 12/18/2022 at 7:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

DC has lost all credibility with their wavering decisions of the last year in my opinion and it will hurt them.

I'm kind of at the point with WB/DC that I don't want them to have a "shared universe".  It is obvious from past history with WB/DC that if their "shared universe" movies don't make a billion out the gate they immediately meddle and make things worse due to flip flopping and interference, so I'd rather they just make a stand alone movie. 

I personally think that the "heyday" of super hero movies is over.  Yes, they will continue to be made and will be profitable (especially if the studios watch the budget) but I don't think either studio (Marvel or DC, but really DC) will have an Infinity War/Endgame 2+ Billion dollar payout again.  The last 8 years have shown me that WB/DC missed their chance.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:03 PM, media_junkie said:

I'm kind of at the point with WB/DC that I don't want them to have a "shared universe".  It is obvious from past history with WB/DC that if their "shared universe" movies don't make a billion out the gate they immediately meddle and make things worse due to flip flopping and interference, so I'd rather they just make a stand alone movie. 

I personally think that the "heyday" of super hero movies is over.  Yes, they will continue to be made and will be profitable (especially if the studios watch the budget) but I don't think either studio (Marvel or DC, but really DC) will have an Infinity War/Endgame 2+ Billion dollar payout again.  The last 8 years have shown me that WB/DC missed their chance.

I agree. I am kinda at the same stage with Marvel as well but mostly because I don't want to be required to watch Agatha Harkness ( I do not care at all and will not watch it )

On 12/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

I agree. I am kinda at the same stage with Marvel as well but mostly because I don't want to be required to watch Agatha Harkness ( I do not care at all and will not watch it )

They need to go forward with Agatha. I have a couple of copies of her 1st appearance in at CGC that I would like to dump for silly money.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

DC has lost all credibility with their wavering decisions of the last year in my opinion and it will hurt them.

I will watch The Boys and be happy with the high quality super hero content provided there.

Agreed. As bad as the Hamada crew may have been, the current Zaslav/Gunn and what's his face is actually making things worse with the delays. 

At this point, the smartest thing for WBD would be to seek an acquisition by AAPL or AMZN and let some adults into the room to sort things out.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

The rumor of budget keeps coming up as what may have really drove the drastic shift from 'in' vs. 'out' for Henry Cavill. And with the news recently of the WB-Discovery write-offs being much larger (in the billions) than originally reported, it would seem realistic. Look what they did with Batgirl being close to done.

What do they think is going to happen when a character becomes successful? RDJ didn't get 8-figure contracts 'just because'. You have to pay your stars if you want them to keep starring.