• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL 2 starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
4 4

445 posts in this topic

Writing, writing, writing.  Gunn could write. Writes so well, that characters like Peacemaker, Rocket Raccoon,  Polka Dot Man (WTF), Rat Catcher, and even the mere mention of Bat-Mite, earn a place at the table. 

Imagine what he can do to a character like Superman. 

I see this a long term win for DC. 

The Rock was right, the hierarchy of Power in the DC Universe has changed..... and while it wasn't the change he or any of us expected, Ive never been more bullish on the DCU. 

On 12/15/2022 at 5:59 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Gunn sure has a lot of leeway with everyone here

Hes shown he can create something out of nothing but he also falls a bit short at times 

GOTG 1 great

GOTG 2 meh

suicide squad ok

peacemaker great

I think it’s a mistake with Cahill but I’m open to see what happens next 

i think any plan to recreate or imitate MCU is a mistake 

I agree. Just over a month ago DC tells Cavill he can make the announcement that he is returning as Superman, now ...not.

Lets wait a couple of days and see what the next announcement is meh

I'm so disappointed at this. Cavill was the first person to make me look at Superman on the screen and feel anything other than boredom. I don't feel he's told all the stories he has to tell as Clark yet. What a shame it's come to this. We were just celebrating his return. 

On 12/15/2022 at 7:03 PM, media_junkie said:

Gunn posted that the Superman movie he is writing will be about an "Early Superman and his adventures", so like Superman Year One I guess?  

Superman Year One? Wasn't that Superman:The Movie and Man of Steel? Sounds like a " new direction " to me. :Rocket:

Although it’s hard to do, there are two different issues here and they need to be separated - what DC has wasted (in terms of talent and years) and what they’re doing going forward.

Clearly they never had a master plan (or never stuck to any one plan for very long… however you want to describe it) and it showed, and IMHO they had excellent people (Cavill, Affleck and Gadot) cast as the big three… and it feels criminal that at least two of them (and maybe all three) for various reasons are now discarded and/or disinterested. Some wasted opportunities for sure.

But the thing is, there is ZERO anyone can do about those things… the past is the past. So all that matters is what is to come.

I agree with what @jsilverjanet said - Gunn has a lot of leeway going forward, and I think deservedly so.  Partly for what he’s accomplished, and partly because finally there’s someone whose vision will be used to coordinate things going forward.

It certainly doesn’t have to be a new MCU (and I’m sure it won’t be)… and I think most of us wish he’d found a way to incorporate Cavill into this. Having someone well cast as Superman who wants to play the role and who the fans really like seems like and discarding him seems like an odd first move.

I’m still optimistic. I think he’s earned our trust. He spent a lot of it with this recent move, however, so whatever he now does first out of the gate — probably an announcement of a slate of movies — needs to show his work, so to speak, but even so… if this is his call, I think we need to give it to him.

We can’t, however, keep relitigating the past. What’s done is done. It’s now about what happens from this point forward. Fingers crossed!

Edited by fmaz

I actually think announcing an entire "slate" of films all at once is a mistake.  It's kind of overly ambitious and/or arrogant. Just, make a good movie.  And then make another one.  We don't need to know or see how these projects may be "interconnected" up front. 

I know Marvel has been doing this for years and years now, but (and maybe my memory fails) I don't remember them doing it at the very beginning.  I don't remember a grand announcement of a slate of films leading up to "The Avengers."  They just kind of, did it.  And people went nuts, so they've just leaned hard into that ever since.  

But you can't make the interconnectedness the big deal from the beginning.  Remember Universal's "Dark Universe?"  Big huge announcement that completely crumbled after one movie no one liked.  

I really hope they don't do a whole thing with a big press conference, or some presentation at a convention, introducing the "new" cast of the entire DC Universe, and showing how all these projects are going to be "connected" across Film, TV and even gaming platforms.  Yuck.  

I want to give the new DCU a chance. I really do. Here's the problem:

I advocated for rebooting the MCU post-Endgame because there was a satisfying conclusion to the narrative they built up. The DCEU hasn't satisfyingly concluded.

That makes it incredibly difficult for me to be interested in the new DCU, if not impossible. I'm not convinced that they learned from their mistakes. I'm not going to make the same mistake of investing my time, money, and emotions into a new universe that could collapse at any moment when the going gets rough.