• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL 2 starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
4 4

445 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, D84 said:

Just please leave out that mystery box, lazy writing bull :censored:!

I have mixed feelings about J.J. Abrams getting into Superman. I'd rather he focus on properties that have not been touched yet like Justice League Dark. Even though it would have Constantine in it and most probably Swamp Thing, that team has not been done in live production together.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I have mixed feelings about J.J. Abrams getting into Superman. I'd rather he focus on properties that have not been touched yet like Justice League Dark. Even though it would have Constantine in it and most probably Swamp Thing, that team has not been done in live production together.

He's great with visuals, but don't let him shape the story.

It doesn't feel like Abrams would suit this version of Superman but it will depend what sort of direction they want to go with it since it's still not very clear if they want to change the style or not. Maybe after Justice League in March we'll hear something. I'd love for that film to do well so they continue his story from there, black suit and all!

Interesting! After all those years of Zack Snyder noted as forcing an excessive religious imagery in Man of Steel, it turns out Richard Donner went through the same attacks with Superman: The Movie.

Richard Donner, director of 1978's Superman movie, reveals he received death threats from people who were upset about the film's religious themes.

Richard Donner, director of 1978's Superman and father of the modern superhero movie, received death threats from people because of the religious overtones of that film. Starring Christopher Reeves as the titular character, Superman was well received upon its release. Critics praised its mixture of humor and action, as well as Reeves' iconic performance. It was one of the highest grossing films of 1978 and earned three Oscar nominations, including one for John Williams' memorable score. Superman also received the Academy's Special Achievement Award for visual effects.

Alongside Reeves, the film starred Marlon Brandon as Jor-El, Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor, and Margot Kidder as Lois Lane. The film's impact is wide-reaching, from Zack Snyder's own take on the iconic hero in Man of Steel all the way to this year's Wonder Woman 1984. Director Patty Jenkins says she was directly inspired by Superman. Donner seems to also have inspired something else with his film.

The director revealed that he received hate mail and death threats after Superman was released. Speaking to The Telegraph, Donner says that some people threatened his life because of the religious themes of his films. He is even able to recite one of the letters from memory. That letter blasts the director for comparing the relationship between Kal-El and Jor-El to that of Jesus and God.

"They threatened my life. One woman wrote a letter saying how dare I compare Brando to God and Christopher Reeve to Jesus. She said my blood would run in the streets. I guess you make a good movie, somebody takes it as a reality."

There were only, like, 3 scenes in Man of Steel that were blatantly religious.

Batman v Superman painted a clear picture as to how and why a real-life Superman would be worshipped as such a figure. This also validates all of the fears that the Kents had in restraining him from going public. As a man, Clark can handle it. It weighs on him, but Lois helps keep him grounded.

Edited by Angel of Death

Say what you will about the DCEU but I believe one of the things they got right was casting Henry Cavill as Superman. I'm in the category that believes MAN OF STEEL is one of the better DCEU efforts but I will admit that he hasn't gotten a true opportunity to shine in a better film since then. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League give us hints of what Cavill is capable of but he's definitely deserving of another solo effort. DC fans must feel the same way because yesterday, January 7, Henry Cavill trended on Twitter as fans remain hopeful Cavill will get to return for Man of Steel 2.

Back in May, it was reported that Cavill was still a part of the DCEU family and was not finished working with DC and Warner Bros. We haven't heard much more about this since the announcement but, when it was originally reported, Cavill was not suiting up for a sequel to Man of Steel but would rather be showing up for a few different cameos in various DCEU films. 

Eight months have now passed and fans are still wondering if they'll get to see Henry Cavill as Superman again. Adding to this, fans definitely want them to invest in a Man of Steel 2 instead of wasting Cavill in mere cameos to prop up other DC films. There is no Man of Steel 2 news to report but fans are hoping to work some of the same magic they conjured up to make Zack Snyder's Justice League a reality. This particular cut essentially came to be because the fans demanded it and that is why #HenryCavillSuperman trended all day yesterday on Twitter.

Thousands of fans have been tweeting their support for the actor and his return, which looks like it began on the "Reviews by Brooks" Twitter account. I have to say I'm actually here for this and I believe Cavill definitely deserves another shot in a solo Superman movie. If getting Cavill to trend on Twitter helps, so be it. Fans will get to see Henry Cavill as Superman again in Zack Snyder's Justice League when it hits HBO Max in a few months and maybe if Warner Bros. hears their voices loud enough, they'll consider making a Man of Steel 2 with Henry Cavill a priority.

A new Superman movie reboot is in the works, with J.J. Abrams producing. The Man of Steel has received quite a few cinematic outings over the years, with Christopher Reeve playing some of the most beloved. In more recent years, Brandon Routh lead a new reboot in 2006's Superman Returns, but it was a franchise non-starter. In 2013, Zack Snyder's Man of Steel introduced the world to a new Superman, played by Henry Cavill. Cavill went on to appear in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League; his Superman will again be seen in Zack Snyder's Justice League when it releases next month.

However, Cavill's future as Superman has been in doubt for a few years now. Reports of Cavill's exit from Superman surfaced in 2018. Though they were refuted at the time, there's been no news of when Cavill might return as the Man of Steel and no projects are in active development. Now it seems Warner Bros. may be looking to reboot the franchise entirely.

Deadline is reporting that a new Superman movie reboot is in development with Abrams producing. Author and Black Panther comics writer Ta-Nehisi Coates is penning the -script. The publication further reports no plot details or casting is known, so it remains unclear if Cavill will return as Superman or someone else will be cast as Clark Kent. Coates' and Abrams' involvement in a new Superman movie was originally reported by Shadow and Act.

Hoping this is the next Henry Cavill film and not a reboot.

9 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I liked the first Star Trek reboot he did. Despite the maddening lens flares, I think it was well done as a lifelong Trek fan.

Have to agree. I really liked the first film and enjoyed the second. The third was good too. Just not as cohesive as the first one.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, D84 said:

J.J. Abrams will ruin Superman like everything he touches. I bet Disney is excited for this one.

There's talk of why this was released out of the blue. Unfortunately Emmerich had his motives to counter recent events versus shameless motives.

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

There's talk of why this was released out of the blue. Unfortunately Emmerich had his motives to counter recent events versus shameless motives.

Definitely. Emmerich is trying to take steam away from the Snyder Cut, which if successful, well show how inept he is at his job.

I’ve read that Henry Cavill is a bit of a misogynist and doesn’t think too much about the #metoomovement. In this day and age where the life of the actor matters when it comes to certain franchises, we can’t have a guy who looks down on women playing Superman. He ruined Kal El anyway with all that frowning. Superman doesn’t frown, he just fixes it.

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I’ve read that Henry Cavill is a bit of a misogynist and doesn’t think too much about the #metoomovement. In this day and age where the life of the actor matters when it comes to certain franchises, we can’t have a guy who looks down on women playing Superman. He ruined Kal El anyway with all that frowning. Superman doesn’t frown, he just fixes it.

Another case of his comments being taken out of context because the internet loves to be offended. I’m completely good with everything he said. I’m fairly certain Cavill’s idea of wooing and chasing a woman are different than the Whedon’s and Weinstein’s of the world.

“There’s something wonderful about a man chasing a woman,” he said. “There’s a traditional approach to that, which is nice. I think a woman should be wooed and chased, but maybe I’m old-fashioned for thinking that. It’s very difficult to do that if there are certain rules in place. Because then it’s like: ‘Well, I don’t want to go up and talk to her, because I’m going to be called a rapist or something.”
Edited by Oddball