• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Ghost # 1. One thing for sure you can say about Fiction House, is that they could really make cheesecake! Legs for days! Talk about your foot fetish cover..... !! insane.gif

849762-g1.jpg

893censored-thumb.gif

There goes another $200.

That Weird Mysteries is a classic!

Looks like the pre-code is having a nice week on ebay. Here's a few books I didn't win....wish I'd pulled the trigger on that Haunted Thrills when Heritage had it as a BIN of $185 on their website. Looks like these books are going strong again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6539778995&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6539779067&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6539778908&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

Looks like the pre-code is having a nice week on ebay. Here's a few books I didn't win....wish I'd pulled the trigger on that Haunted Thrills when Heritage had it as a BIN of $185 on their website.

$185? Dammit. That would've been a steal, although it's not the best cover of the run.

Looks like these books are going strong again.

Any worthwhile title above FN with decent pages always has competition and serious bidding, and it's always the usual suspects. There just isn't that much quality pre-code horror on ebay.......

I used this one as an inside cover in my fanzine HORROR COMICS REVIEW .

Speaking of which.

a_men_wait.gif

poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

I hate to say it, but it may be a few more months on HCR #5. Possibly even as long as 8 more... sorry.gif

I've heard of "taking the red eye" before, but this is ridiculous! 893whatthe.gif

852436-g5.jpg

Wonder if this cover had any influence on Ray Harryhausen in designing "Kali" for The Golden Voyage of Sinbad?

Keith, is that guy getting stabbed in the head by the guy wearing the turben?

852476-golden-voyage-of-sinbad-photo.jpg852476-golden-voyage-of-sinbad-photo2.jpg

852476-golden-voyage-of-sinbad-photo2.jpg.f555aa0574f607350c46aa94aaf34268.jpg

Yup, talk about yer piercing headaches, Jayman! He's getting that puppy right in the back o' the noggin'!!! crazy.gif

Interesting side note, the "Ruby Eye" story is not in this issue, but the "Satan Owned His Soul" IS. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Notice the gravestone, it reads "Janet Lee."

Wonder if she's any relation to Janet ( "Psycho" shower scene) Leigh??? insane.gif

Little dude looks like he coul be related to the nasty gnome things from "Phantasm." grin.gif

860632-hof9.jpg

860632-hof9.jpg.7f6b447684d7972633ab3fef6b31a82f.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

I'd say this is a "swipe" of the classic, "The Monkey's Paw," wouldn't you?!

Gosh what makes you say that?

... FroM W.W. Jacob's THE MONKEY'S PAW...

"Wish!" she cried, in a strong voice.

"It is foolish and wicked," he faltered.

"Wish!" repeated his wife.

He raised his hand. "I wish my son alive again."

The talisman fell to the floor, and he regarded it shudderingly. Then he sank trembling into a chair as the old woman, with burning eyes, walked to the window and raised the blind.

BTW, Keith. I assume you have a copy of the all-time classic GREAT TALES OF TERROR AND THE SUPERNATURAL? I bought my first copy when I was about 12 years old. Back then it was about 75 cents for 1080 pages of classic tales. I am on my thriud copy! The thing keeps falling apart!

That's when you know you Enjoy a book.You read it till it Falls apart!!! smile.gif Well maybe we don't want to to do that with our comics though, Prices now a days,Whew!!!! tongue.gif

BTW, Keith. I assume you have a copy of the all-time classic GREAT TALES OF TERROR AND THE SUPERNATURAL? I bought my first copy when I was about 12 years old. Back then it was about 75 cents for 1080 pages of classic tales. I am on my thriud copy! The thing keeps falling apart!

Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural on Amazon

"This bargain of a book is a thick hardcover anthology--more than 1,000 pages long--containing stories of naturalistic and supernatural terror. First published in 1944, it has stood the test of time and become a classic in the field. Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural is rivaled only by David G. Hartwell's The Dark Descent as the essential horror anthology. Fortunately, there's little overlap: of the 52 tales in this anthology, only 5 are duplicated in The Dark Descent. Included here are such memorable stories as W.W. Jacobs's "The Monkey's Paw"; Saki's "Sredni Vashtar" and "The Open Window"; Richard Connell's "The Most Dangerous Game"; Conrad Aiken's "Silent Snow, Secret Snow"; Arthur Machen's "The Great God Pan"; along with gems by E.F. Benson, H.G. Wells, Ambrose Bierce, Rudyard Kipling, Walter de la Mare, M.R. James, Guy de Maupassant, and O. Henry."

Average Customer Review: stars-5-0.gif

Will have to check it out. laugh.gif