• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Hey! Another EERIE #1 !!! 893whatthe.gif

Bummer, it's just an IW reprint book. sorry.gif

Has a nice Wood cover, though.

So really, there are FOUR Eerie #1's out there. Two from Avon, one from IW, and one from Warren if you count comic mags. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

812999-e1iw.jpg

812999-e1iw.jpg.fe7112831d6b0d968eb6c3110237a4e0.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

So really, there are FOUR Eerie #1's out there. Two from Avon, one from IW, and one from Warren if you count comic mags. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

812999-e1iw.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

cloud9.gif

813377-StrangeWorlds6s.jpg

Now should you play Find the 10 differences? Actually I should go 893whatthe.gif at the extent of these differences. I think I like the dark eyes on the IW reprint better. Also we have the guy at right shrunk, more arms, more small tendrils, loss of mohawk, ...

813377-StrangeWorlds6s.jpg.35252bbcedcc4c30d920b8c01c93c58d.jpg

I think I like the coloring better on the IW Reprint -- I'm always sucker for a rich green.

Scrooge,

Thanks for posting the original. I would have passed right by the difference if you hadn't mentioned them. Does anyone know whey IW did that? Was it an attempt to make the cover more appealing in the 60s? Or, were they trying to disguise the original art? That is, was there anything underhanded about their publishing that they had to worry about getting recognized/caught?

It's also interesting that the reprint shows more of the artwork rather than less. Did they have the original art or simply redraw the B.E.M. and add to what could not be seen? We get to see behind the text box and more on top and sides. thumbsup2.gif

It actually looks redrawn - the spaceman on the right is smaller in the reprint and a cloud has been added - the creature has grown a third arm and his left hand is now showing - and his eyes have changed - and his legs are sprouting roots, and the shading in a couple areas on the cover is different.

I'd say a lot of it was completely redrawn. This was probably a cut/paste, cut/trace job. Look real close at the detail on the walls of the mechanical equipment. There are plenty more differences there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's weird, but I like the IW cover better, I think! insane.gif

I'd say a lot of it was completely redrawn. This was probably a cut/paste, cut/trace job. Look real close at the detail on the walls of the mechanical equipment. There are plenty more differences there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's weird, but I like the IW cover better, I think! insane.gif

Actually I had been looking at the mechanical equipment detail myself and while different looking it seemed that those differences could directly be attributed to different coloring not different line art. Give it another close look and you might see what I mean.

As far as liking one over the other, are the contents in the IW reprint the same as the Strange Worlds or is it filled with random reprint?

Check out the equipment running along the floor on the bottom right between man and monster, that stuff looks like a complete redraw to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for the content, it is not a reprint of the Strange Worlds. frown.gif

Actually you could almost make that 5 if you count the book in this ad and it's from Ziff-Davis:

815977-BeanBags2InHouseAds.jpg

You can see the book (ran only one issue) in the Gerber. Cool actual cover. Anyone has a copy?

815977-BeanBags2InHouseAds.jpg.2e8df1677682d7f7b3f8be0436055ba4.jpg

I have a nice copy I got from Ed Jaster, but alas I don't have a scan to share right now, so someone will beat me to it. Besides the cool Death n' chess front cover, there's a nice Krigstein cover on the back as well. Rather unusual for pre-code horror - I can't think of another issue from any publisher that does that, though there might be one.

Fawcett Worlds of Fear -- although they aren't "original" back covers but reprints of front covers of prior issues.

Just for good measure, here's another IW (and I'm still in alphabetical order! grin.gif)

Nice to see IW stirring up some conversation, I bet that's the most their books have been talked about in years! crazy.gif

Oh, and sorry for lagging on my scans, but I recently got Doom 3 for the X-Box. Honestly, a game horror fans should be eating up. insane.gif

818329-fan1.jpg

818329-fan1.jpg.44135e2d42b4613605f74484aa2da98c.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Sorry so long in editing the previous post, the power went out for a couple hours yesterday and I had to shimmy on to other preoccupations for awhile. Anybody know where that IW cover came from originally? confused-smiley-013.gif