• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

That is a Maneely masterpiece! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The more Maneely work I see, the more I like his stuff. thumbsup2.gif

If he hadn't died young, we probably would have seen Spider-Man and Hulk by Maneely at some point, since he was one of Stan Lee's favorites. Fast, prolific and distinctive. Seeing this Astonishing cover, I can imagine that his Spider-Man would have been magnificent (not that Ditko's wasn't).

Jack

If he hadn't died young, we probably would have seen Spider-Man and Hulk by Maneely at some point, since he was one of Stan Lee's favorites. Fast, prolific and distinctive. Seeing this Astonishing cover, I can imagine that his Spider-Man would have been magnificent (not that Ditko's wasn't).

Jack

Indeed. I put Joe in my Top 3 of PCH Atlas artists. The more I see his work, the more I think it defines 50's Atlas horror. hail.gif

Jack

Maneely on Spider-Man is a fascinating "what if." Perhaps then, Ditko would have wandered over to DC and become the definitive Batman artist of the early 1960s.

What the hell is up with Atlas and just about every Undead creature on their covers is all white like an old dog turd ??? Cant help but think that the covers would be even cooler with some color on dem Zombies ! sign-rantpost.gif

Quite often the Zombies would be green. crazy.gif

Atlas tended to use that lurid green color almost as a trademark - check all those Menace covers, etc.

Nice WTotF books! Is that issue # 4 the one with the "Brain Bats" story?

Nope, that's Mister Mystery 7, reprinted (chopped up and retitled) in WTotF 7. I have heard this referred to as the "brain bats" cover, though.

Nice WTotF books! Is that issue # 4 the one with the "Brain Bats" story?

Nope, that's Mister Mystery 7, reprinted (chopped up and retitled) in WTotF 7. I have heard this referred to as the "brain bats" cover, though.

Yeah I knew it was originally from Mister Mystery but didn't remember which WTotF issue had the chopped up reprint, thanks!

Dude I so wanted that book and I dropped the freakin ball with my bid ! Nice pick-up.

Yeah I wasn't too sure how high this would go with that defect on it but surprisingly, it doesn't bother me that much.

Book is nice tight and flat. I keep thinking that this copy stands out like a beacon to all who have owned it previously! wink.gif