• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

Moving on to Harvey, one of the better PCH publishers. This Black Cat 32 is a fave of mine, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the 893censored-thumb.gif is supposed to be going on here..... screwy.gif

797162-bc32.jpg

797162-bc32.jpg.4a25c50372959caa7caeada0980c7590.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Glad to see you back around, Pov! This one was actually given to me for FREE from a dealer I used to buy from rather regularly. Probably the only way he'd ever be able to move it! 27_laughing.gif

797289-bc42.jpg

797289-bc42.jpg.ac66b2d113893be9998293ed965c54df.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Does anyone classify this one as racist or no?

Probably yes, considering the year and the culture. "taboo" and "devil drums"? Those are the mosre racist aspects of the cover. An assumption that these things mean anything more than some tickling inkling in the brain of the average reader to an early Tarzan movie or even to a White Hunter early 50's tv show.

The costume itself? Nah. Folks in Africa and in many other cultures too (can you say liederhosen? grin.gif or is it leiderhosen?) wear strange, unacustomed garb.

And lastly, if you are referring to a back man attacking a white woman? Well, we have a SLEW of white vs white in pore-code horror so cannot really see the thing there.

Just some thoughts. laugh.gif

Probably yes, considering the year and the culture. "taboo" and "devil drums"? Those are the mosre racist aspects of the cover. An assumption that these things mean anything more than some tickling inkling in the brain of the average reader to an early Tarzan movie or even to a White Hunter early 50's tv show.

The costume itself? Nah. Folks in Africa and in many other cultures too (can you say liederhosen? grin.gif or is it leiderhosen?) wear strange, unacustomed garb.

And lastly, if you are referring to a back man attacking a white woman? Well, we have a SLEW of white vs white in pore-code horror so cannot really see the thing there.

Just some thoughts. laugh.gif

My initial thoughts were that it was not racist, but the more I looked at it the more I thought the possibility for that classification could be there.

I was basing this on the fact they are portrayed as "savages" and the coloring used. Talk about Nubian! crazy.gif

I had not considered the inter-racial violence aspect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I still would cast my vote for "not" racist in my final analysis, but in today's clime I'd thought I'd put a feeler out there for other opinions.....

Actually most comic dealer and eBay seller would rather call / advertise that one as Bondage.

It's funny it's the second time today I see this cover as I had discovered this site with a gallery of all comics classified as bondage in the Overstreet. I thought people might like the link. Sorry for the high-jack.

Actually most comic dealer and eBay seller would rather call / advertise that one as Bondage.

It's funny it's the second time today I see this cover as I had discovered this site with a gallery of all comics classified as bondage in the Overstreet. I thought people might like the link. Sorry for the high-jack.

Great site - thanks!

Scrooge, I'm with you in the bondage camp as opposed to "racist". Can't deny people being tied down!

Oh, and it's not a "high-jack," it's a contribution! Keep 'em coming! thumbsup2.gif

The last of my Black Cats. Interesting "The Last Man on Earth" blurb. This was a great movie starring Vincent Price based on "I Am Legend" by the incomparable Richard Matheson. The film greatly influenced George Romero in making Night of the Living Dead. However, this BC came out in 1954, and the Price vehicle would not come out for roughly another decade.

797848-bc53.jpg

797848-bc53.jpg.5e06baf373953c319fec27f7aa4f9c1d.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

My only other Black Magic. I know there are a couple of you out there actively buying this series, but for the most part it doesn't seem like this title gets much love from the PCH community. poke2.gif

799054-bm32.jpg

799054-bm32.jpg.2b3a9da16c254a4fc5c7021740fb2949.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

I really dig LB Cole covers, but I don't have many of them. Why? Well, I find most of the interior contents of Star comics to be dreadful. Crime, jungle reprints, etc. Since part of the fun for me is reading the horror comics, I have had Star on the backburner. One day, though.....

799708-bb114.jpg

799708-bb114.jpg.ad89b66d3499173ef38699604c44d06f.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

"Used in NY Joint Legislative Comm. Publ." - OSG

Anyone seen the movie SE7EN? Remember the end with Pitt yelling, "C'mon, man! What's in the box?!" ?? Look closely at the box here! Also, Ace covered up a couple decapitations hanging on the wall in background with the story title cap. Look closely...

800089-chal.jpg

800089-chal.jpg.e692b4e0c64c55b865a333a7dee2a1dd.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

I agree about most of the Star interiors which are usually reprints. That particular issue, Blue Bolt Weird Tales #114 has a terrific interior story by Jay Disbrow. Any of the Star books with his interior work is worth getting.

The early covers of Harvey horror were just plain whacked. "Cosmos Aging Machine"??? What the heck do ya suppose the ugly green things are putting in the test tubes? Youth? Sometimes I wonder if the guys at Harvey weren't doing a little mid-century experimentation with illegal substances. Oh well, at least there is a hot chick in a bikini.... wink.gif

800215-cc2.jpg

800215-cc2.jpg.468c924a8097c711c26d054c9af86509.jpg

Edited by precodekeith