• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Did you notice that they spared us from seeing her aged sister in bikini. Whew. Smart guys.

Also, wanted to say I had never seen the Ace book you put up after the Bobby Benson. Thanks for showing it. Any idea of the cover artist?

Paull, do you know how the interiors to Blue Bolt 112 are? Thanks.

Also, wanted to say I had never seen the Ace book you put up after the Bobby Benson. Thanks for showing it. Any idea of the cover artist?

Challenge of the Unknown was the first Ace horror comic. Beyond came out two months later, and the other titles didn't get rolling until like a year later in 1951. I don't know when this "NY Joint Legislative" thing took place, but if it was shortly after the release of CHALLENGE, then it would go a long way in explaining why the company quickly toned down their covers. Had they continued doing covers as exploitative as this, Ace might have been a much more sought after line ..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As to the artist, I can't say. If I had to guess, I'd go with Lou Cameron. confused-smiley-013.gif

As for the "other" sister, I feel ripped. Look at her bod! She's a MILF!! 27_laughing.gif

I agree about most of the Star interiors which are usually reprints. That particular issue, Blue Bolt Weird Tales #114 has a terrific interior story by Jay Disbrow. Any of the Star books with his interior work is worth getting.

I am in agreement. That issue had two Disbrow stories I enjoyed. I may have asked before, but do you have a comprehensive (or close) list of the Star material with the Disbrow interior stories?? confused-smiley-013.gif

"Jelly Death"???!!! Sounds like bad luck with cafeteria cuisine..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can handler spoilers on this one. What is "Jelly Death" about? And does it involve peanut butter?

Scrooge, unfortunately I don't have a 112 yet... I have a Blue Bolt 111, 114 and 115.

Keith, good question... I am far from having a comprehensive collection of Star books... but if I get a chance, I'll check out some of what I have.

"Jelly Death"???!!! Sounds like bad luck with cafeteria cuisine..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can handler spoilers on this one. What is "Jelly Death" about? And does it involve peanut butter?

The story chronicle's the fate of someone who enrolls in the "Jelly of the Month" club.

The story chronicle's the fate of someone who enrolls in the "Jelly of the Month" club.

It turned out to be a pretty good story, mostly for the art which looks like Bob Powell. A scientist (ironically named Larson) comes up with a formula for activating protoplasm, basically creating life. Lots of hypo panels. The problem of course is that the blobs take on unexpected forms & act out in typical blob anti-social behavior; one of which is a giant spider that kills a reporter with a nice neck bite. Larson soon becomes the enemy of the townsfolk, and so he decides to turn the blob on them. I won't "give away" the rest, but it's pretty predictable..... 893blahblah.gif

It turned out to be a pretty good story, mostly for the art which looks like Bob Powell. A scientist (ironically named Larson) comes up with a formula for activating protoplasm, basically creating life. Lots of hypo panels. The problem of course is that the blobs take on unexpected forms & act out in typical blob anti-social behavior; one of which is a giant spider that kills a reporter with a nice neck bite. Larson soon becomes the enemy of the townsfolk, and so he decides to turn the blob on them. I won't "give away" the rest, but it's pretty predictable..... 893blahblah.gif

Powell? Hypodermics? Protoplasm? Giant biting spiders?

Predictable or not, it sounds like a keeper to me! thumbsup2.gif

Powell? Hypodermics? Protoplasm? Giant biting spiders?

Predictable or not, it sounds like a keeper to me! thumbsup2.gif

No kidding. I'd better hurry and get that one (trying not to be too old hat but it's a 3/52 book) as it sounds swell.

"Used in SOTI pg.389, decapitation/severed head panels" -OSG

This has to be one of the coolest CoC covers. One skeleton has been stabbed in the brain, and the animated skeleton in the foreground looks like it has worms in its casket. Let's not forget the hot chick being bound by her hands & neck in the back. Harvey really liked to terrorize women on their early covers.....

802438-cc7.jpg

802438-cc7.jpg.164ab03cb9e56ae0d3a6494ed4a25cbe.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

For those who may have missed my MarketPlace thread, I have a number of HoM pre-code issues up on eBay for the next several weeks--if you are interested. I'm having to thin out the collection for more immediate priorities. frown.gif

Thanks!!!

I owe this one to a trade with fellow board member Shiverbones. Thanks, Shiv! hi.gif

Anyway, this one will be recognised by any fan of the old "horror-punk" band, the Misfits. Glenn Danzig swiped this cover and used the art for their "Die, Die, My Darling" 12" art. Misfits have a huge collector following, making this one hard to come by since probably more music fans are after it compared to comics collectors. Me? I'm a Misfits fan, too. So, this was doubly satisfying to ad to my vault! shy.gif

804766-cc19.jpg

804766-cc19.jpg.48dc8e9cb3ee403063dccf2cac8b157c.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

This particular issue is probably the toughest Harvey CoC book to find. I don't know why that would be. Maybe because it is toward the end of the run and possibly had spotty distribution? confused-smiley-013.gif

805727-cc24.jpg

805727-cc24.jpg.2f7c0a1e818ca682e11a6d289a12852e.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Wow... I never saw that cover before... Great stuff... I would never have noticed it in Gerber.

That's because it is NOT in the Gerber! grin.gif

They screwed up & put in the first issue 24 (#4) TWICE instead! insane.gif

That being said, it is still misrepresented by a Gerber 3 rating. I'd give it a 4 easy, maybe higher. yeahok.gif