• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,231 posts in this topic

Ok, stop bidding up the books I want :sumo:

Seriously, some of them are really starting to climb...

There are a lot of nice slabbed copies of some of these books in current auctions that may go for less than people are paying for these raw copies...feeding frenzy...speculation...

There are a lot of nice slabbed copies of some of these books in current auctions that may go for less than people are paying for these raw copies...feeding frenzy...speculation...

Perhaps, although the majority of the books are in the lower grades.

Right, that's my point, people are bidding up lower grade books in a frenzy when slabs with confirmed grades are at least currently auctioning for less. Look at the Menace 11 on Clink....

Anyway, the auctions are early so it may not pan out that way, but it is interesting.

Right, that's my point, people are bidding up lower grade books in a frenzy when slabs with confirmed grades are at least currently auctioning for less. Look at the Menace 11 on Clink....

Anyway, the auctions are early so it may not pan out that way, but it is interesting.

I checked both auctions and you're right. Remarkable.

I don't bother tracking their auctions. It's not that there is anything wrong with them, there isn't (and that's kind of the point), but they achieve above market prices on a lot of the auctions. Overpaying is not my thing.

That's because the guys buying raw books are often collectors who don't care for GPA or slabbed books. They're just collectors who want a copy of a book. The guys buying slabbed books are part speculator / part collector.

This just reinforces my belief that there are multiple types of markets out there.

It also crushes the idea that just because it's slabbed it sells for more.

That's because the guys buying raw books are often collectors who don't care for GPA or slabbed books. They're just collectors who want a copy of a book. The guys buying slabbed books are part speculator / part collector.

This just reinforces my belief that there are multiple types of markets out there.

On this particular occasion with this particular seller.

I also think that the guys buying the raw books are equally likely to be speculators, rolling the dice on the pretext that the book might be undergraded and presumably unpressed.

I don't bother tracking their auctions. It's not that there is anything wrong with them, there isn't (and that's kind of the point), but they achieve above market prices on a lot of the auctions. Overpaying is not my thing.

I like to keep tabs on the market, so I'll follow the auctions. I win the odd book...

I also think that the guys buying the raw books are equally likely to be speculators, rolling the dice on the pretext that the book might be undergraded and presumably unpressed.

Almost certainly true.

Almost certainly true.

+1

are you referring to clink or comics4less?

Almost certainly true.

+1

There are also plenty of Atlas "collectors" buying slabs at record setting prices.

I find it hard to believe a "speculator" paid $2K+ for a JIM 16 CGC 5.5 in a recent HA auction with the intent of turning around and selling it at a profit any time soon (if they did they have a problem).

I assume some collector really wanted that book for his run and didn't care about price because it would almost certainly sell for quite a bit less if put back up at auction right now.

There are lots of examples in the last year of eye popping Atlas prices for slabs at auction and they can't be the work of speculators because these books can't be sold at a profit anytime soon e.g. the CGC 9.0 Spellbound 14 that sold for $9K or the high grade, post code, JIM's in the March CC auction that went for approx. $10K. There are many others - nearly every JIM in that March auction.

Bottom line is I don't think the high slab sale prices at auction are due to speculators, but more likely collectors who are filling runs or recognize how tough some books are, doubt they will get another shot and are OK with paying top, top dollar right now.

I would guess most "speculators" focus on the raw Atlas that comes up for sale on Ebay, here and in the weekly HA auctions - pressing VG/FN into FN and so on - this is also a fool's errand in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my two cents and my comments are limited to Atlas only.

Edited by Johnny545