• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,232 posts in this topic

I have a random question for my fellow collectors of PCH. My collecting interests are all over the place: GA superheroes and large sized books, DC war and horror, original art, and of course PCH. Do you have a "sweet spot" for grades that you try to go by? This might sound odd, but for me, I generally try to get PCH comics between 5.0-7.0 if slabbed, and if unslabbed I try for at least a vg. I don't go for slabbed low-end books, because if it's what would be a 2.0 or 3.0, I want to be reading the sucker! I love the smell of old comics, especially when it's PCH. I have some outliers, of course, that are higher than my slab range, but I use that as my reference point. Am I the only one that does this?

A lot of PCH is tough to find in 6.0, so I usually aim for that grade, although I prefer 8.0 and above if possible (and if it's affordable). I don't usually go for books below 4.5 unless they're genuinely scarce.

I have a random question for my fellow collectors of PCH. My collecting interests are all over the place: GA superheroes and large sized books, DC war and horror, original art, and of course PCH. Do you have a "sweet spot" for grades that you try to go by? This might sound odd, but for me, I generally try to get PCH comics between 5.0-7.0 if slabbed, and if unslabbed I try for at least a vg. I don't go for slabbed low-end books, because if it's what would be a 2.0 or 3.0, I want to be reading the sucker! I love the smell of old comics, especially when it's PCH. I have some outliers, of course, that are higher than my slab range, but I use that as my reference point. Am I the only one that does this?

A lot of PCH is tough to find in 6.0, so I usually aim for that grade, although I prefer 8.0 and above if possible (and if it's affordable). I don't usually go for books below 4.5 unless they're genuinely scarce.

And that's why this hobby is awesome b/c we stratify as collectors.

I'll take the G to VG, goldust will take the VG+ to FN and IngelsFan will take the FN to FN/VF. Now, stop bidding on those low grade beauties :sumo:

I buy 'em to read 'em, so really have no use for slabbed books, although I've bought a few low graders in slabs and then taken them out.

Given this, I'll go Fair+ to VG+ generally, as long as there are no pieces out of the FC, and no brittleness.

The books that I've acquired in Fine and above I am somewhat hesitant to read, for fear of degrading them, and in some instances have bought reader copies to keep from opening the better ones; how dumb is that? :wink:

I care more about the book than the grade. I just want to have 'em all. Then I play the upgrade game as I go along. Like fifties, I'm a reader and collector first. I have no real sweet spot but if I did, I would be real happy to have 7-9's. Used to be that was the overlooked area. Now days there are collectors for every grade even poor and coverless. And I VERY carefully read even my high grade ones.

I'm watching this eBay auction that ends tomorrow and wondering how much do you guys think people will bid up this raw copy of Out of the Shadows #9 that looks to be in great shape?

fog1ua.jpg

24pjr61.jpg

prafn.jpg

2dr9iz4.jpg

1zgx5ok.jpg

fdejno.jpg

qssdh3.jpg

One of my favorite stories in that one! Corpse That Came To Dinner is excellent!!

Just got through looking at some recent completed auctions...does anyone else remember when these books used to be cheap? In the distant past of 5-6 years ago? The runups on stuff like Chamber of Chills 19, CSS 22, Mystic 18, JIM 16, Spellbound 17 and dozens of others is just incredible. These were $100-300 books in 5.0-7.0 back in 2010, now they are $1000-2000.

It's nice, since I own a bunch, but also really confusing since I have to pay 5-10x more for the books I am missing and still really want.

Are there just that many new collectors? Is pre-code that much hotter than it was just 5 years ago? Silver and bronze have movie hype books, but I swear some of the craziest price increases have been in 50s horror.

It's wild, isn't it? I don't know who is paying these $1-2K prices either.

That said, while I was lucky enough to get in on CSS #22 and the Atlas books you mention before the crazy price jumps, last year I did pay through the nose at current FMV -- pretty rare for me! -- for a VG Chamber of Chills #19. I'm very late to that particular party, but I love the cover so much and don't see it going down anytime soon.

Just got through looking at some recent completed auctions...does anyone else remember when these books used to be cheap? In the distant past of 5-6 years ago? The runups on stuff like Chamber of Chills 19, CSS 22, Mystic 18, JIM 16, Spellbound 17 and dozens of others is just incredible. These were $100-300 books in 5.0-7.0 back in 2010, now they are $1000-2000.

It's nice, since I own a bunch, but also really confusing since I have to pay 5-10x more for the books I am missing and still really want.

Are there just that many new collectors? Is pre-code that much hotter than it was just 5 years ago? Silver and bronze have movie hype books, but I swear some of the craziest price increases have been in 50s horror.

There are undoubtedly a bunch of new collectors.

But I don't think the genre is necessarily hot as a whole - the surrounding issues haven't moved anywhere near as much (or at all) except maybe pedigree/HG copies.

I think its simply that collectors are flocking to the best/classic covers and there just isn't enough supply to meet demand especially in the mid to higher grades.

They were ignored for a while because maybe people thought they could always find a reasonably priced copy, but with the internet and covercentric effect of CGC the demand accelerated diminishing supply, pushing up prices.

Look whats happened to some of the early joker covers.

Edited by Johnny545

I don't think the genre is hot - the surrounding issues haven't moved anywhere near as much (or at all) except maybe pedigree/HG copies.

I think collectors are just flocking to the best/classic covers and there just isn't enough supply to meet demand especially in the mid to higher grades.

That's true, the run of the mill covers haven't moved much, but the ever expanding list of classics have exploded.

I mean, the Die Die My Darling 7" came out 30 years ago. I paid $190 for my 9.0 COC 19 5-10 years ago. Now it's a $2500 book. It's more than just normal interest, and I feel like it's more than just long term collectors focusing on the "best" stuff.

There are undoubtedly a bunch of new collectors.

But I don't think the genre is necessarily hot as a whole - the surrounding issues haven't moved anywhere near as much (or at all) except maybe pedigree/HG copies.

I think its simply that collectors are flocking to the best/classic covers and there just isn't enough supply to meet demand especially in the mid to higher grades.

They were ignored for a while because maybe people thought they could always find a reasonably priced copy, but with the internet and covercentric effect of CGC the demand accelerated diminishing supply, pushing up prices.

I think there are different factors at play for the different covers mentioned.

Apparently there is some modern era band or group or something with which Chamber of Chills 19 resonates, but as an antique myself, IDK what it is.

I've been watching a thread in the want to buy forum in which a member wants it, for about half the current going rate, and another linked an eBay auction for a slab currently at $900, for I think it's a 6.0 or thereabouts. I think I paid 25 bucks for mine, sometime in the last dozen years.

AFA CSS 22, it's a historical issue, a very rude cover illus, and an icon, so no surprise there as to it's value.

I am frankly surprised however at certain others, such as the above mentioned Mystic 18 and Spellbound 17; I don't understand why they would be in higher demand than almost any other Atlas PCH issue.

The common thread through the best/most valuable Atlas covers is clearly Everett cover art.

There are few who could argue his work isn't a notch above and these covers plainly standout, so they are in demand, harder to come by and for all of these reasons more valuable.

There are some collectors who will bid on these every time even if they own one, two or three.

Also, the internet has allowed older and newer collectors to more easily identify the better covers.

The internet has also allowed for easy price discovery, there is a wealth of data of prior sales and so fewer people list these for sale at a bargain price.

Most of this data is relatively new.

I suspect these issues were always coveted, but demand was kept at bay because the novice collector/newer collector didn't come across them too often or wasn't aware of them (until the internet) and prices were kept suppressed because sales data was scant and wasn't widely disseminated.

When you see collectors paying 500, 600, 700 for a JIM 5 CGC 4.0 and the data is right there in mutiple HA sales to support it you aren't going to find anyone listing them for sale at 100 bucks and collectors are willing to pay up accordingly.

While there is older atlas sales data on HA going back to the early 2000's (a lot of higher grade pedigree books), the data is minimal and doesn't hit all issues.

It is only within the last few years a lot of Atlas in all grade ranges has sold in public auctions providing clarity to demand of certain issues and related value.

Note: You can still, if you are lucky, find some key PCH cheap (rarely on the internet).

Though even there I have seen some people get lucky (Menace 5 VG/FN $150 BIN on ebay not too long ago etc. - sadly not me)

Edited by Johnny545

The CoC 19 is one that I just don't get. Is the demand driven by Misfits fans? Not to denigrate the cover, but it wouldn't even be on a list of my top 50 favorite PCH covers. There are still a LOT of overlooked covers that don't have nearly the demand. Add to that the fact that they are incredibly hard to find in grade. Some that are hard to find at all.

I've been trying to take decent pics of more of my collection so I will try to post a few. I like the creepy feel of this one.

image.jpg

Awesome cover. I like the whole run - actually I collect all of the Standard titles. Trying to get them all in 7.0 or better is a bee-yoch.

I've been trying to take decent pics of more of my collection so I will try to post a few. I like the creepy feel of this one.

image.jpg

Awesome cover. I like the whole run - actually I collect all of the Standard titles. Trying to get them all in 7.0 or better is a bee-yoch.

There are a bunch of nice Unseens in the next CC auction a few top grade. Tough, tough books.

Edited by Johnny545

The CoC 19 is one that I just don't get. Is the demand driven by Misfits fans? Not to denigrate the cover, but it wouldn't even be on a list of my top 50 favorite PCH covers. There are still a LOT of overlooked covers that don't have nearly the demand. Add to that the fact that they are incredibly hard to find in grade. Some that are hard to find at all.

I honestly don't think it has much at all to do with the misfits, its just a great cover that clearly stands out in that run and again there is a herd mentality to grab the classics before getting priced out, without enough to go around, prices will continue to climb unless people wake up one day and decide the cover is overrated and overprices and decide all at once to dump them on the market en masse....I wouldn't hold my breath.