• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,233 posts in this topic

I guess I just keep comparing it to CoC23: same title, neither issue terribly scarce (but a lot are locked away in collections), but a much better cover on the 23 (IMHO) and no real hype/interest/price bump for the 23? The 19 prices are high, maybe justifiably so, but I don't understand why the 23 doesn't at least match or beat them.

I guess I just keep comparing it to CoC23: same title, neither issue terribly scarce (but a lot are locked away in collections), but a much better cover on the 23 (IMHO) and no real hype/interest/price bump for the 23? The 19 prices are high, maybe justifiably so, but I don't understand why the 23 doesn't at least match or beat them.

COC 23 hasn't shown up in a high profile auction (in a nice grade) in a number of years.

If a 9.0 showed up it would do very well I think.

(I like 23 better also).

Edited by Johnny545

Gotta agree. 19 is cool, but never had much interest in it. 23 is killer. A Harvey that beats 'em both, IMO, is Witches Tales 25.

I agree on how cool WT25 is! I've been looking for a nice copy for a couple of years and each time one came up, something else grabbed my money first. It's one of my top ten wants for 2016. Probably my 3rd favorite Harvey cover (behind ToT16 and CoC23).

The CoC 19 is one that I just don't get. Is the demand driven by Misfits fans? Not to denigrate the cover, but it wouldn't even be on a list of my top 50 favorite PCH covers. There are still a LOT of overlooked covers that don't have nearly the demand. Add to that the fact that they are incredibly hard to find in grade. Some that are hard to find at all.

I honestly don't think it has much at all to do with the misfits, its just a great cover that clearly stands out in that run and again there is a herd mentality to grab the classics before getting priced out, without enough to go around, prices will continue to climb unless people wake up one day and decide the cover is overrated and overprices and decide all at once to dump them on the market en masse....I wouldn't hold my breath.

I actually think it has a lot to do with the Misfits. We listed a ragged out raw (a 1.5 at best) on eBay about a year ago that went for a little over $600. The buyer was only interested in the book because of the band. I rarely list stuff on eBay but this was a case of trying to reach those fans outside of our hobby. I had originally priced the book at $75 and thought that was high considering the condition. But before it was listed for sale one of my employees, who also happens to be a Misfits fan, said we should try eBay.

The CoC 19 is one that I just don't get. Is the demand driven by Misfits fans? Not to denigrate the cover, but it wouldn't even be on a list of my top 50 favorite PCH covers. There are still a LOT of overlooked covers that don't have nearly the demand. Add to that the fact that they are incredibly hard to find in grade. Some that are hard to find at all.

I honestly don't think it has much at all to do with the misfits, its just a great cover that clearly stands out in that run and again there is a herd mentality to grab the classics before getting priced out, without enough to go around, prices will continue to climb unless people wake up one day and decide the cover is overrated and overprices and decide all at once to dump them on the market en masse....I wouldn't hold my breath.

I actually think it has a lot to do with the Misfits. We listed a ragged out raw (a 1.5 at best) on eBay about a year ago that went for a little over $600. The buyer was only interested in the book because of the band. I rarely list stuff on eBay but this was a case of trying to reach those fans outside of our hobby. I had originally priced the book at $75 and thought that was high considering the condition. But before it was listed for sale one of my employees, who also happens to be a Misfits fan, said we should try eBay.

I don't doubt the Misfits connection has driven some of the value jump, but I've never heard them in my life and CoC #19 was my #1 precode horror want last year.

I love how simple, iconic and graphic the cover is. The image is a wonderful mix of the GGA and horror genres, and there's a striking tension between the two. I can also imagine multiple interpretations of the cover theme (for instance, does the skull image in the glass just mean that the glass is full of poison, or is it revealing something sinister under the lady's beauty that's already there?) I can't think of too many covers you can say that about.

At the risk of sounding over-the-top, I actually think it's one of the most sophisticated of the precode horror covers in its simplicity. And just damn cool.

With that said, I also like the CoC #23 cover a lot too. I'm still searching for a nice copy of that one.

COC 23 hasn't shown up in a high profile auction (in a nice grade) in a number of years.

If a 9.0 showed up it would do very well I think.

(I like 23 better also).

I agree. I much prefer COC 23 as well. Always have.

Great discussion! I think the concept of buying and discovering comics online is so new that we are seeing the early effects of it now translating into increased prices. It's never been easier to sit back from anywhere 24/7 and attend a comic show online which is essentially what this place is. A 365 day a year comic show where you can learn, discuss, but, sell, trade and even get into an argument if you choose. :) It's never been easier to get into GA. It only takes a handful of dedicated new collectors to drive up prices on books...especially keys.

You guys see this Menace 5 on ebay? I think there's still 2 more currently going...funny how 3 show up at once. Anyhow, $1000 for this one. Guesses as to how it will grade out? Looks like 5ish to me? Maybe a bit higher?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291666945049?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I made that point a couple of pages back.

Last night's Menace 5 that ended at $721 looks to be around 3.5. Tonight's copy which went just north of $1K does indeed look to be around 5.0. Nice eye appeal on tonight's copy.

One more copy coming down the pike, a slabbed 3.5, courtesy of comics4less. Probably will go for a similar amount to yesterday's copy.

Edit - four copies. There's a 2.0 currently on eBay as well.

You guys see this Menace 5 on ebay? I think there's still 2 more currently going...funny how 3 show up at once. Anyhow, $1000 for this one. Guesses as to how it will grade out? Looks like 5ish to me? Maybe a bit higher?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291666945049?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Was a nice copy, closed right on the mark for a 5.0, which is where I think it tops out (nice gloss, colors (the red menace isn't washed out like so many) and generally nice eye appeal.

But it had a lot of little issues that add up. I had one like it - came back a 4.5 I was disappointed, but it was an accurate grade.

Back to CoC; yup, I agree that 23 is the best cover of the run (almost all of which I have). Here's the last 6 good covers, the final two after these are nowhere near as horrific, and their contents are simply reprints of earlier issues. IIRC, the toughest one to get was 24.

14vtrpt.jpg

Back to CoC; yup, I agree that 23 is the best cover of the run (almost all of which I have). Here's the last 6 good covers, the final two after these are nowhere near as horrific, and their contents are simply reprints of earlier issues. IIRC, the toughest one to get was 24.

14vtrpt.jpg

Chamber Of Chills 20 and 23 are up there with 19, although 19 is obviously more subtle.

I'm watching this eBay auction that ends tomorrow and wondering how much do you guys think people will bid up this raw copy of Out of the Shadows #9 that looks to be in great shape?

fog1ua.jpg

24pjr61.jpg

prafn.jpg

2dr9iz4.jpg

1zgx5ok.jpg

fdejno.jpg

qssdh3.jpg

One of my favorite stories in that one! Corpse That Came To Dinner is excellent!!

Did any of the PCH collectors on these boards win this item with a bid of $45.45?