• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,234 posts in this topic

I'm watching this eBay auction that ends tomorrow and wondering how much do you guys think people will bid up this raw copy of Out of the Shadows #9 that looks to be in great shape?

One of my favorite stories in that one! Corpse That Came To Dinner is excellent!!

Did any of the PCH collectors on these boards win this item with a bid of $45.45?

Standard, ACG, and a number of other minor publishers don't get a lot of joy at sale time, esp in reader grade condition.

Funny thing is, Stanley Morse, who had undisputedly some of the lousiest story artwork, had some of the most collectible (read $$$) covers.

Here's my copy of Weird Mysteries 4. Two in similar grade were sold on eBay last year, each at over two grand.

256e6x0.jpg

The CoC 19 is one that I just don't get. Is the demand driven by Misfits fans? Not to denigrate the cover, but it wouldn't even be on a list of my top 50 favorite PCH covers. There are still a LOT of overlooked covers that don't have nearly the demand. Add to that the fact that they are incredibly hard to find in grade. Some that are hard to find at all.

I honestly don't think it has much at all to do with the misfits, its just a great cover that clearly stands out in that run and again there is a herd mentality to grab the classics before getting priced out, without enough to go around, prices will continue to climb unless people wake up one day and decide the cover is overrated and overprices and decide all at once to dump them on the market en masse....I wouldn't hold my breath.

What is the connection to the Misfits?

We have a thread for recent purchases, but how about those dusty horror tomes in everyone's vaults that have been there for awhile? confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's make this the place to post ALL of our favorite pre-code horror books, and talk about everything pre-code horror related in general.

While we're at it...

Holy !Logged in to check out the PCh and I find it is Keiths bd.HBD Dude!

The CoC 19 is one that I just don't get. Is the demand driven by Misfits fans? Not to denigrate the cover, but it wouldn't even be on a list of my top 50 favorite PCH covers. There are still a LOT of overlooked covers that don't have nearly the demand. Add to that the fact that they are incredibly hard to find in grade. Some that are hard to find at all.

I honestly don't think it has much at all to do with the misfits, its just a great cover that clearly stands out in that run and again there is a herd mentality to grab the classics before getting priced out, without enough to go around, prices will continue to climb unless people wake up one day and decide the cover is overrated and overprices and decide all at once to dump them on the market en masse....I wouldn't hold my breath.

They used the cover for their Die Die My Darling 12".

They used the cover for their Die Die My Darling 12".

Huge fan of the Misfits and I think CoC 19 was a great choice for that cover.

I have a random question for my fellow collectors of PCH. My collecting interests are all over the place: GA superheroes and large sized books, DC war and horror, original art, and of course PCH. Do you have a "sweet spot" for grades that you try to go by? This might sound odd, but for me, I generally try to get PCH comics between 5.0-7.0 if slabbed, and if unslabbed I try for at least a vg. I don't go for slabbed low-end books, because if it's what would be a 2.0 or 3.0, I want to be reading the sucker! I love the smell of old comics, especially when it's PCH. I have some outliers, of course, that are higher than my slab range, but I use that as my reference point. Am I the only one that does this?

A lot of PCH is tough to find in 6.0, so I usually aim for that grade, although I prefer 8.0 and above if possible (and if it's affordable). I don't usually go for books below 4.5 unless they're genuinely scarce.

And that's why this hobby is awesome b/c we stratify as collectors.

I'll take the G to VG, goldust will take the VG+ to FN and IngelsFan will take the FN to FN/VF. Now, stop bidding on those low grade beauties :sumo:

I'm in the G to VG camp as well, if the book is prohibitive (or unknown) in higher grades anyway -- helps stretch my collecting dollar. Of course if I can afford it, I would generally prefer a higher grade (prettier) book.

Here's a recent pic of my Black Cat 50:

image.jpg

Such a classic. And one that eludes me still -- had my chance to buy nice ones at 300, then 500, years ago and for $ reasons at the time, had to pass. Ack!

bi2lpl.jpg

Edited by creaturefan95

A couple of new ACG's. These aren't usually my favorite and I don't go out of my way for them but every once in a while a cool one or two pop up with interesting covers. Skeleton Hand and Out of the Night are actually pretty good reads.

I like the dinosaur cover on this one

comadvsunknown29_zpspijzodop.jpg

And this one has a cool monster "3-D" type cover with pretty good contents.

comoutofnight%2014_zpsaqlsd7kq.jpg

Nice pickups there, Robot Man.

Actually, the later ACG's, starting about mid-late '53, all have at least one good story; Adv into the Unknown, Forbidden Worlds, Out of the Night, and Skeleton Hand.

this issue in particular I think was their best read; all four stories are good;

970f5b22-8aef-4700-b927-f8b3800a1328.jpg