• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink starts tonight. Anyone else excited?

218 posts in this topic

Ah lol I guess I would be wrong in my assessment then. I definitely need a few JRjr pieces, but haven't found one that I had to have for the price yet. I was just thinking of other times that I have bought similar pieces that have sat, and how much the dealer was willing to go down. I would way rather have that DPS that sold for $1700 btw even if the prices were equal.

I'm glad he didn't. :insane: I needed a good centerpiece for my Civil War pages, and this one will fit the bill nicely. I'm honestly shocked at how little I've paid for the ones I've gotten this year. To me there hasn't been a more historic story in the Marvel universe in decades. It's not my absolute favorite Marvel series, but it's definitely up there.

When I saw the Civil War DPS I was asking why on Earth the consigner didn't put it up for auction 6 months ago, probably would have sold for double what it did.

lol Our tastes cross paths again! Yeah, that was one of the best issues of the series. I'm a sucker for standalone stories within an overall good series.

I only won three this time. I bid on about 30 lots near the end. This auction seemed modern heavy to me, and that's what I go for, so I tried on quite a few. I got owned on all but these three.

#1) Captain Marvel #13 cover/ I am (probably) one of the few that liked this Captain Marvel series. I like Peter David's writing, so his Captain Marvel was enjoyable for me. This was way too cheap not to bid.

FSikjR.jpg

Congrats on winning that cover. I was the underbidder, but perfectly content with my bid. I liked that series too and in fact loved that particular issue, I thought it was hilarious, and I have several interior pages (that I overpaid for). If that cover wasn't a stock cover and was actually related to the content of the issue, I would have bid more, but as I said, content with my bid (where I lost on this time and many others, but won the one I really wanted for less than half my max)

Malvin

Hopefully, you're not going after the Kirby Black Panther cover, which has already tripped the reserve and is currently at $32.5K

Had my eye on it but moved on when it reached $25K.

However a couple of pieces i am trying to win have had some bids with still 2 hours to go which i wasnt expecting. Still there is no way i am going to be sniped this time and have some big last second bids which is going to shock the current high bidders.

So, how did the great anti-sniping campaign go for you?

I snagged the Bagley ASM page with human torch. Loved that storyline as a kid and really like the spider image up top. Put in bid a few minutes before the end expecting it to go up, but it didn't-hey!

Also purchased the Hitman cover. Liked the stat that isn't on the published cover...kind of gives it a poor man's Preacher "until the end of the world" vibe.

Fwiw they've shipped already.

The one item I really wanted I got - the Frazetta LOTR sketchbook. This was being offered on comicconnect for 27.5k. I had sold about 17k worth of statues in the last month to make a run at this and was happy to see the final price much less than 27.5k.

Lost out all around on GI Joe... :sorry:

More will pop up...

Really wanted the Issue 5 page 20 - I liked that one. There are other opportunities though.

Do you mean issue 4, page 20? I was following the four pages at auction too, but didn't win any. The two better pages sold for way more than the two pages that didn't have much character content.

Hopefully some more pages come up to auction soon. :wishluck:

Romita Jr. doesn't participate in those annual sales. I know, I've been hoping he would.

I think last time there was a 10% discount on JRJR's pages (other than Cap'n America maybe?), just after the page I was eyeing for a couple of years not only sold, but was actually gone from Spencer's website as well. :o

Yeah, I bought a couple of JRJr pages at Spencer's sale either this past year or the year before at 10% off. Not much of a discount, but every bit helps!

The one item I really wanted I got - the Frazetta LOTR sketchbook. This was being offered on comicconnect for 27.5k. I had sold about 17k worth of statues in the last month to make a run at this and was happy to see the final price much less than 27.5k.

Awesome pickup.

My two pieces arrived on Friday which was super quick. I ended up with the two Bruce Timm pieces. I may have went a little heavy on the bidding for them, but I guess if I ever see a Timm piece I like better I could sacrifice one of them to help pay for it.

In case anyone here ended up with the Adam Hughes - Red Sonja, I forgot to set my alarm to bid on it, so if they weren't really interested in keeping it and wanted to make a few hundred let me know.