• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

Is there something that i'm missing about the Liefeld page in this auction? I look at it and see something that "should" go for maybe $700-$900, but it hammered for double that.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/rob-liefeld-and-hilary-barta-the-new-mutants-89-story-page-16-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7141-94332.s

a Liefeld superman already mentioned that in this thread :)

The question is whether or not the datapoint is an outlier or a new normal

Malvin

Ah, sorry. I was lazy and didn't look. :whistle:

50 lashes for me.

my guess is it's an outlier. I was just curious if there was an importance to the page that I was missing (like 1st rictor with spiked hair, which we know all the fans adored)

Malvin

I love the phrase "liefeld superman" but can't really tell if that's an insult or praise? hahaha

There have been a handful of these outliers the last few years painting a very impressive picture, but then mixed in will be a handful of underselling pieces that seemed better than what was selling.

This page reminds me of years ago when a really bad McFarlane page sold on eBay for $4k at a time when solid pages were more like $2-3k. It seemed to raise the floor with it's mediocrity:)

Had a bizarre bidding experience trying to bid on a piece of art. I was expecting to be away from home and so I put in a proxy bid. When our plans changed and I found myself mindlessly surfing on my laptop, I went to the auction and decided to bid live. I cancelled the proxy bid. Then, when the item came up live I went to bid only to find that my screen said "proxy bidding" and that trying to click on the bid buttons wasn't working. The auction ended up selling for a third less than what I'd put in for my (cancelled) proxy bid, so it never allowed me a chance to bid live. Thought I had won it and then saw that they had not actually been placing my proxy bids, after all. Evidently their system is programmed with some kind of glitch that caused them to cancel my proxy bid and prevent me from bidding live. Wondered if anyone else had experienced that?

Malvin

I love the phrase "liefeld superman" but can't really tell if that's an insult or praise? hahaha

oops, blame autocorrect. I meant to say Liefeld Superfan

Malvin

Sold before I could take a peek.

That's because everyone wants Liefeld art!

I picked up this page tonight. I pulled the market data results and saw it sold for 500 last year so I offered 500 and the seller accepted. Plus tonight ended the 8x eBay bucks.

Got the page I wanted - the Thanos Origin page I remember fondly, from IM 55. Went cheaper than the other one, oddly, even though the other one has no origin and the Thanos character is technically a robot/imposter on that one. That one had Drax on it, but for me this issue is all about Thanos. And the origin back story is classic Starlin.

Been super-busy with work and life, but came out of the woodwork to grab this one. Hope you're all doing well!

Great pick-up, Hari! As for your page vs. the other one, I think the price difference is because of the splash-y 3-panels and the unobstructed full body shot of (faux) Thanos on the Drax page, which will have definitely appealed to the bidders. Both pages are very cool!

Yes, agree why, but it's a mistake in my opinion as this is a thanos issue pure and simple. You need the real Thanos on it. And the origin aspect is the unique part of this book. But, to each his own! I'm happy :).

Got the page I wanted - the Thanos Origin page I remember fondly, from IM 55. Went cheaper than the other one, oddly, even though the other one has no origin and the Thanos character is technically a robot/imposter on that one. That one had Drax on it, but for me this issue is all about Thanos. And the origin back story is classic Starlin.

Been super-busy with work and life, but came out of the woodwork to grab this one. Hope you're all doing well!

Congrats, Hari! Good to see you on the boards again.

Thanks Felix! Life and work have been hectic, but all good!

Congrats Hari! Was wondering who beat me to it ;)

Glad to see this page went to someone who truly understands the subject matter and appreciates its significance (thumbs u

Well, I absolutely do, so thank you! This is where it all starts. Did you get the other one?

Hari,

Congrats on the IM 55 pick-up! I would love to see this page in person as I agree with your assessment that this was THE first time that Starlin detailed Thanos' origin. I was out at $12K for both IM 55 pages, and it was nice to see the strength of the Starlin market show for this auction.

If the consignor truly picked up this page for the $15.00 price tag marked at the lower right corner from Starlin, then it is one heckuva return on investment. Unfortunately, it is somewhat difficult to calculate the yearly return on this investment depending on what year the consignor purchased the page. While Starlin drew this page in 1972 or 1973, then what year did he truly sell it?

Ciao!

PRC

Thanks Phil. I agree. Origin pages are rare. This is the only page.

A bit off topic but has anyone received their items from this last auction yet? I paid immediately for a Saturday lot, no updates. I can't remember if they update via email with a tracking ID or not.

I paid a couple days later, after correcting some information on my account, and got a shipping notice yesterday with tracking.

A bit off topic but has anyone received their items from this last auction yet? I paid immediately for a Saturday lot, no updates. I can't remember if they update via email with a tracking ID or not.

I paid a couple days later, after correcting some information on my account, and got a shipping notice yesterday with tracking.

Thanks, perhaps time to call just to see.

I paid for my Saturday item the next day and my piece is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.