• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

...its going to be a blood bath

There%20will%20be%20blood%20text_zpsigwxou3z.gif

I tell my patients this before surgery....

Remind me never to get a melanoma in Minnesota.

Hey, that could be the title to a country song. lol

" my girls got a mole that's as black as her heart..."

" my girls got a mole that's as black as her heart..."

" she's nothing but a basal cell freckled tart..."

Looking through the auction this morning and I noticed the Werner Roth / Dick Ayers X-men story page labeled as X-Men 69 (which it was - kinda - it originally appeared in X-Men 19 and was reprinted in issue 69).

The description states, "Roth, working incognito as Jay Gavin, delivered the pencils as if channeling Jack Kirby (who had split by now for DC Comics)..." -which is not true since the story was originally from 1966, not 1971.

- just had to get that off my chest...

25k reserve on the Thun'da page, last and only one on the sold archive sold for around 12k. This is a splash page though. Oddly someone listed the ENTIRE first issue from #1 on CAF just 2 weeks ago, amazing stuff.

Will it meet the reserve?

Although it's a splash, I personally don't think it's that great of a splash.

Will it meet the reserve?

Although it's a splash, I personally don't think it's that great of a splash.

I've wondered that myself. My first thought was that number was high. But with all of the big Frazetta sales we've seen lately, 30k for a well rendered splash doesn't sound crazy. I think it sells on auction day.

Looking through the auction this morning and I noticed the Werner Roth / Dick Ayers X-men story page labeled as X-Men 69 (which it was - kinda - it originally appeared in X-Men 19 and was reprinted in issue 69).

The description states, "Roth, working incognito as Jay Gavin, delivered the pencils as if channeling Jack Kirby (who had split by now for DC Comics)..." -which is not true since the story was originally from 1966, not 1971.

I saw that piece, and knew X-Men #67-93 were reprints much like the "Classic X-Men" title and "Amazing Adventures".

So, I had a question...

If this was from X-Men #69, originally in X-Men #19, then isn't this actually an X-Men #19 page?

OR, like Classic X-Men, where sometimes additional art was created new to add to the story, so it's actually X-Men #69 artwork added to the X-Men #19 storyline?

OR is this a stat used from the original art of X-Men #19, for X-Men #69?

The attribution of the artwork makes it so confusing...

I saw that piece, and knew X-Men #67-93 were reprints much like the "Classic X-Men" title and "Amazing Adventures".

So, I had a question...

If this was from X-Men #69, originally in X-Men #19, then isn't this actually an X-Men #19 page?

OR, like Classic X-Men, where sometimes additional art was created new to add to the story, so it's actually X-Men #69 artwork added to the X-Men #19 storyline?

Judging from the production stains and blue pencil on the art, evident from the scans much less the description, it's the original art.

It is from X-Men #19, it is not additional art created for the reprint.

What happens on some art pieces like this is sometimes the original issue number, and maybe the issue title located at the top of the page out of the image area, is overwritten with the new issue number & title for the reprint book. Perhaps that's what happened here. The issue 19 notation was changed to issue 69. Not sure about this, as the scans seem to show the art was trimmed at the top.

I have a John Buscema Submariner #20 page that was listed as Giant Size Super Villain Team-Up #1 because that story, or parts of it, was reprinted in the latter title and the nomenclature at the top of the page was overwritten to reflect this.

I knew what comic the art was really from, and I snatched that puppy up!

subby25oa_b1_stitch2_zps21c195ab.jpg

So, I had a question...

Judging from the production stains and blue pencil on the art, evident from the scans much less the description, it's the original art.

It is from X-Men #19, it is not additional art created for the reprint.

What happens on some art pieces like this is sometimes the original issue number, and maybe the issue title located at the top of the page out of the image area, is overwritten with the new issue number & title for the reprint book. Perhaps that's what happened here. The issue 19 notation was changed to issue 69. Not sure about this, as the scans seem to show the art was trimmed at the top.

I have a John Buscema Submariner #20 page that was listed as Giant Size Super Villain Team-Up #1 because that story, or parts of it, was reprinted in the latter title and the nomenclature at the top of the page was overwritten to reflect this.

I knew what comic the art was really from, and I snatched that puppy up!

subby25oa_b1_stitch2_zps21c195ab.jpg

I'm surprised Heritage doesn't change it to X-Men #19 as that would make it more prestigious to pitch to sell.