• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

So before I head back to the comic closet in search of part 2 of the miscellaneous collection I thought it would be fun to share some images of the home of Western's editorial office.

About ten years ago I found myself driving north out of Chicago towards Milwaukee and detoured over to Racine in search of any remnants of Western Publishing. It was looking to be a fruitless search until I spotted an old postman who quickly told me where to go (and not where you think.)

Like a Mecca to the Western Publishing devotee I felt my pilgrimage was complete and snapped these photos.

Very cool! Did another firm occupy the building when you were there, or was it abandoned?

When I was there the area under the "Western" sign was occupied by a learning center of some sort. Of course that was a long time ago.

I just did a Google search and found this article which includes a picture of the plant in its heydey.

Western Publishing Racine

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

The author tells us that: To write a detailed history of Western Printing would take volumes so I’ll leave that for the professional writers.

I don't think we need volumes, but given the sources that he might have available, it's too bad he isn't willing to write a longer account of the company's history. If he's interested in the history of Racine, I would think Western would be a firm you would want to spend some time researching.

newfunnies73_f.jpg

Cool! New Funnies soon became Walter Lantz New Funnies. Here are scans of mine:

NewFunnies122.jpg

NewFunnies215.jpg

NewFunnies237.jpg

257 Random House File copy

13-08-201165703PM.jpg

258 Random House File copy

13-08-201165708PM.jpg

13-08-201165712PM.jpg

279 Random House File copy

13-08-201165718PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

And now, a challenge for this thread: How long until somebody can post an older Dell comic?

Funnies_03_zpssr9f5fwb.jpg

There's at least a dozen issues that could do it!

Well, I can go a leetle bit earlier.,..

TQ42dNC.jpg

And now, a challenge for this thread: How long until somebody can post an older Dell comic?

Funnies_03_zpssr9f5fwb.jpg

There's at least a dozen issues that could do it!

Well, I can go a leetle bit earlier.,..

TQ42dNC.jpg

Allez-Oop?? Must be the French edition.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Scrooge, thanks for starting this thread. Love Dells - they really set a high standard for comic book publishing.

Thanks also to all for posting their Dell beauties.

Here are several early Dells...

Bug Movies - 1931

Clancy the Cop - nn, #2 - 1930

Deadwood Gulch - 1931

165306.jpg.040ad884bd31a9706d6434511534a5c7.jpg

165307.jpg.716ab35721f15ab545a67693578feb9c.jpg

165308.jpg.cbffa67622df52cca386b2ee33786cef.jpg

165309.jpg.1260403f748c2d566154e6cccfe7c5e6.jpg

Scrooge, thanks for starting this thread. Love Dells - they really set a high standard for comic book publishing.

Thanks also to all for posting their Dell beauties.

Here are several early Dells...

Bug Movies - 1931

Clancy the Cop - nn, #2 - 1930

Deadwood Gulch - 1931

Nice ones that go way back.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I'm glad it did..... the day I realized that I don't have to collect stuff just because it's a key or a popular top ten book...... just have to like it myself.

:o

Oh my word! You're kidding! I've been buying precisely what I like and only what I like since I started collecting again in 1979.

Yeah, that's a liberating moment, isn't it? These days I get as much or more enjoyment from books nobody else much cares about. (See my journal to see some of them.)

Good man! You're speaking my language there.

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat