• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

Back in 2002-2003 Pretty much all I collected was Dell. I think they deserve more love.

Back in 1959, the first and only two comics I can remember buying were Dells. Here are scans of my present day copies:

CicerosCat1.jpg

CicerosCat2.jpg

;)

Silver is boss cool! I have only this one though and it's not among the better covers:

31-05-201174208PM.jpg

:(

That's a great looking copy of the first issue (even if it is one of those dirty, rotten Four Color's). lol

Here's issue #3 (the first non-Four Color issue).

Silver3.jpg

That's a great looking copy of the first issue (even if it is one of those dirty, rotten Four Color's). lol

Here's issue #3 (the first non-Four Color issue).

Silver3.jpg

:cool:

Any chance the cub on the cover to # 13 -

Silver%2013_zpsc0thlkcd.jpg

grew up to be the bear on # 27. He's just miffed he had to be saved early in life and is seeking revenge -

Silver%2027_zps1ob1aw3h.jpg

Silver is boss cool! I have only this one though and it's not among the better covers:

31-05-201174208PM.jpg

:(

Oh no! I'm sorry. I goofed.

doh!

grew up to be the bear on # 27. He's just miffed he had to be saved early in life and is seeking revenge -

Good eye! I think you're right.

(thumbs u

Good eye! I think you're right.

(thumbs u

I really like that #27 and your theory makes perfect sense to me.

I'm surprised no one has posted any of the cool Photo Cover Dells that Big John Buscema illustrated.....some real decent books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I looked through GCD and saw that most of Buscema's Dell work was in some high # Four Colors and the Roy Rogers series (neither of which I have in my collection).

I even see that Gaylord Du Bois wrote a bunch of the stories. Definitely something I'll be checking out and I'll post some when I get them (assuming not already posted).

I'm surprised no one has posted any of the cool Photo Cover Dells....

As a general rule I really dislike photo covers. One of the reasons is that they appeal to the movie/TV groupies who otherwise have no interest in comics. Me though I actually like comic art.

:preach:

I don't think anyone has posted a Spike and Tyke yet. Here's a well loved issue #7 from late 1956. I paged through this and noted that they had put in a story featuring coonskin caps so I guess that craze had started already.

After this I'll have to start digging in my Disney boxes to see what kind of obscure non Four Color Dells I might dig up.

165397.jpg.18012ca2efa1340e50f734ccead743ae.jpg

165398.jpg.ac04952bb31ca77815b7f508d3b34a32.jpg

I don't think anyone has posted a Spike and Tyke yet. Here's a well loved issue #7 from late 1956.

165398.jpg

After this I'll have to start digging in my Disney boxes to see what kind of obscure non Four Color Dells I might dig up.

Yes, please, dig!!

# 5 -

Spike%20and%20Tyke%205_zpswlg5wza1.jpg

# 11 -

Spike%20and%20Tyke%2011_zpsro56zrgn.jpg

I don't think anyone has posted a Spike and Tyke yet. Here's a well loved issue #7 from late 1956. I paged through this and noted that they had put in a story featuring coonskin caps so I guess that craze had started already.

Apparently the Disney Davy Crockett series ran during the 1954-1955 season.