• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

Nice! As long as we're on a Nellie kick...

07d7da95-88c5-497e-943e-02296ddd11d0_zpsnc3bbkqy.jpg

14e998ea-dede-41fb-ba20-956e4d4d6afe_zpsmgtd3ado.jpg

84e6fadd-238e-4419-9512-3f6e9682e99a_zpspxlpkw4p.jpg

I think that the covers on #22 and #27 are by DeCarlo. #26 seems to be a maybe but the 22 and 27 have all the characteristics of how he drew the female form at that time, in particular the hips. Nellie's face is very characteristic of his style as well. Millie the Model #18 has a Nellie story credited to Dan so it seems that he was handling some Nellie artwork as well although I've never seen it mentioned that he worked on Nellie.

I think that the covers on #22 and #27 are by DeCarlo. #26 seems to be a maybe but the 22 and 27 have all the characteristics of how he drew the female form at that time, in particular the hips. Nellie's face is very characteristic of his style as well. Millie the Model #18 has a Nellie story credited to Dan so it seems that he was handling some Nellie artwork as well although I've never seen it mentioned that he worked on Nellie.

I don't think 26 is DeCarlo. The hands are the giveaway. Still a great cover, though.

I don't think 26 is DeCarlo. The hands are the giveaway. Still a great cover, though.

Good point. It has similarities but something wasn't quite right. Hy Rosen's work could look a lot like DeCarlo but I don't know when he started working for Timely. It's a shame no one documented the artists on the humor books when more of them were alive to confirm the information.

First book of the new year came on Saturday. Nothing earth shaking but a pretty nice copy. This is another one of those great 4 book GGA series. This one does not disapoint with headlights, cross dressing and cool Dave Berg (from MAD magazine) GGA. Down to one issue on it.

commeetmerton3_zpsfwiwtqrm.jpg

First book of the new year came on Saturday. Nothing earth shaking but a pretty nice copy. This is another one of those great 4 book GGA series. This one does not disapoint with headlights, cross dressing and cool Dave Berg (from MAD magazine) GGA. Down to one issue on it.

commeetmerton3_zpsfwiwtqrm.jpg

Cool book.

I spent some time this weekend scanning some things I picked up last year.

Here's one that fits this thread...

candy16.jpg

candy16.jpg

Beauty!

I'm not sure the CCA would have approved of what Candy and Ted are doing in the logo. hm

I'm not sure the CCA would have approved of what Candy and Ted are doing in the logo. hm

I know! I've always wondered if someone at Quality worked out the entire alphabet. Some of the letters would be interesting.

candy16.jpg

Beauty!

I love this Sahle. Same guy that did this cool run

comhickory3_zpsawssjmjt.jpg