• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

Teen humor is really getting a boost these days. I cant figure if it's riding the coattails of the Romance boom, or if there's just a general GGA boom/expansion beyond just Baker to now include more "cartoony"GGA like DeCarlo and others.

I've always been into the classic GGA... Torchy, Phantom Lady, the key Fox, Fiction House, and Timely gals... later in life, as my tastes in popular art matured, I began to gravitate towards romance and teen humor- two genres I never cared about as a young "fanboy". I'll bet this phenomenon is happening to many other collectors, too, and we are now seeing it reflected in the marketplace.

+1

I think these boards have opened my eyes a lot to these. They have, until recently, been priced pretty reasonable but I can see even them starting to get pricey.

Teen humor is really getting a boost these days. I cant figure if it's riding the coattails of the Romance boom, or if there's just a general GGA boom/expansion beyond just Baker to now include more "cartoony"GGA like DeCarlo and others.

I've always been into the classic GGA... Torchy, Phantom Lady, the key Fox, Fiction House, and Timely gals... later in life, as my tastes in popular art matured, I began to gravitate towards romance and teen humor- two genres I never cared about as a young "fanboy". I'll bet this phenomenon is happening to many other collectors, too, and we are now seeing it reflected in the marketplace.

When buying books off the stands as a kid in the 1960s, I honestly have no recollection whatever of romance books, although I assume the newsstands I bought from must have carried them. That's how little attention I paid to them.

I did notice the Archies and sometimes bought them. Nobody I knew collected them, though, and it would never have occurred to me to try to put together runs of them.

Come to think of it, I suppose that even now there probably aren't many collectors putting together runs of 1960s romance and teen humor books.

+1

I think these boards have opened my eyes a lot to these. They have, until recently, been priced pretty reasonable but I can see even them starting to get pricey.

I'm in the same boat. I've only recently "discovered" the beauty of these teen humor comics. It's a refreshing change from the more traditional GGA that I have collected over the decades.