• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MORTAL KOMBAT Reboot from New Line (TBD)

172 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree I guess I was just disappointed after waiting so long. Really shows you how good or at least how good an attempt the 1995 movie was.
Plus the music.

I think the main thing is ever since the first movie we've had a slew of amazing low-budget action movies come out that elevated how fight scenes should be done. Nothing expensive or really fancy, but the technical aspects on how to shoot & edit them was greatly improved while showing the importance of hiring people who know how to do the action itself. This movie had every opportunity to offer amazing fights based on what we've seen before.

This movie did cast people who could do all the action, but then they cut the fights to death in such a horrible way. Had this been any other action movie (or an actual low-budget release) it might have been forgivable, but this is a franchise that you come to just to see the fights or experience its soundtrack. It becomes especially disappointing after you remember what they managed to shoot for the super-ultra-lowbudget MK Rebirth videos, not great but bounds better than this movies (for example, Johnny Cage vs Baraka fight which used longer shots and camera movement matching to make the action flow fairly well for the cost)

54 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

...This movie did cast people who could do all the action, but then they cut the fights to death in such a horrible way. Had this been any other action movie (or an actual low-budget release) it might have been forgivable, but this is a franchise that you come to just to see the fights or experience its soundtrack...

The Office Agree GIF by EditingAndLayout - Find & Share on GIPHY

Among the many shockingly gruesome moments in the deservedly R-rated new Mortal Kombat is a memorable fatality (a finishing move in Mortal Kombat parlance) dealt by the character Kung Lao (Max Huang) against the character Nitara (Mel Jarnson). In the scene in question, Kung Lao ends his brief battle with the winged Nitara by leaping on her back while she's in flight and riding her into his spinning razor-rimmed hat, slicing her neatly in half. Surprisingly for a movie released in 2021, the incredibly bloody moment was actually created using more practical movie magic than CGI. Speaking to CinemaBlend, Kung Lao actor Huang himself talked about shooting the scene, which indeed turned out to be very messy:

"It was a blend of the both. But it was actually more practical than CGI, I have to say because all the blood you see, that is all real. I can't give away too much, but, when we shot that fatality, it was coming at me and it was a mess."

turns out horrible word of mouth matters even when there is no new competition  

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Though the numbers aren’t as big as their opening weekends, an interesting tale continues at the weekend box office during the pandemic with New Line’s Mortal Kombat and Funimation/Aniplex’s Demon Slayer bound for a photo-finish of $6.1M each in their second weekends. Really, it’s too close to call No. 1 right now.

Mortal Kombat had the slight upper hand yesterday with $1.85M, -80%,  and 8-day total of $29.7M at 3,114 locations (+41 from last weekend). The second weekend for the Simon McQuoid-directed pic will be off a steep 74%. Demon Slayer did $1.81M on its way to a second weekend drop of -71% at 1,879 venues (+281). The manga feature adaptation’s 10-day total by EOD tomorrow looks to $33.9M.

Edited by paperheart

ComicBook.com: Obviously, the movie was in development for some time. How did you first get involved?

Greg Russo: It has been in development for a while. I got involved in 2016. As far as I know, the film had been in development for about five years or so before that, once the decision to reboot the movie came across from New Line, and in 2016, I had already been working with the studio. I'd done a couple of scripts with them, and they knew that I was huge gamer and a huge fan, and I knew that Mortal Kombat was in development there. So I just was kind of slowly nudging and elbowing anybody I possibly could, just to be like, "Hey, if you need help with that, please keep me in mind. I'm a huge fan. I'm a huge fan." And in 2016, they had brought in producer James Wan to help, I think, steer the ship creatively. At that time, they were looking for a new writer, and thankfully, I was in the right place at the right time, I guess I'll just say that, and was able to get the job.

ComicBook.com: Dave Callaham and Oren Uziel are also credited on the screenplay and story. What did that process actually look like? Was it something they had worked on before that you came in, or where they were working with you?

Greg Russo: Yeah, no, that's a good question. Yeah. So again, dating back to the start of development, so we're talking, let's say 2011. That was when I believe Oren had written a draft. He was the first writer in, so about 10 years ago. Then there were some other writers, actually, that aren't credited that worked on the -script, and then Dave worked on the -script, I would say, around 2015, and then in 2016, I came in after that. I inherited kind of the -script that had been, for lack of a better word, cobbled together by a number of different writers, and so I was able to kind of take it from there and kind of work on it through production.

ComicBook.com: How are you feeling about those sequel prospects right now?

Greg Russo: I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful. Fingers crossed that we can do more of this. I certainly... When I wrote this, I'll tell you, I wrote it as a trilogy. I didn't write the trilogy, but I wrote it with a trilogy in mind. I always think as a writer, we need to make sure that we leave ourselves places to go, that we don't paint ourselves into any corners. So, there are places, there are worlds, there are characters and things that I would love to explore, but ultimately, that is up to the fans. It's up to the viewers. If an audience comes out, if they go to the theater, if they watch the movie on HBO Max, it will send a message that Mortal Kombat is valuable, and hopefully more stories can be told. So I'll leave that one up to the viewers.

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Movie theaters across America:

"Save us, Black Widow! You're our only hope!"

giphy.gif

Disney will definitely have a special place of honor for you in The Vault.

e21b1d7129945a8cead1bc0eb0246f6a8b28dfcb_hq.gif.6d3477aaf96a17c1fb42ad869d714286.gif

The only entertaining way to re-watch the Goro fight scene...as it was originally intended, two kids of the blue man group stacked up on each other like they were trying to buy tickets to an R rated movie:

goro_mortal_kombat_2021.gif

(and at least in this version they didn't have to get stupidly teleported into a garage shed, the door of which proved difficult to open and required all his four armed strength just to escape)

On 5/2/2021 at 10:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Movie theaters across America:

"Save us, Black Widow! You're our only hope!"

giphy.gif

Only because Top Gun 2 was moved to November. 

DBADD14F-87FE-44E1-8802-45DF90835559.gif

2 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Only because Top Gun 2 was moved to November. 

DBADD14F-87FE-44E1-8802-45DF90835559.gif

I'm not as positive on Top Gun 2. Maverick and navy jets doesn't hold as much interest nowadays as it did in 1985. The military was all the rage back in the Ronald Reagan 80's. Now I'm not so sure how much a 60 year old Tom Cruise and a military story would draw modern audiences in. Older folks for sure, but I'm not so sure about younger audiences.

Soooo.. finally got around to watching this with my wife yesterday.  Overall, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on the comments I've seen here.

Were there some bad parts?  Oh yes!

Spoiler

Did not care for the Cole character at all.  I understand it was the mechanism to somehow bring Scorpion back, but was not great at all.

Having to find their arcana?  Ok.  But, Jax finds his and it provides him new arms?  Really?  I can understand find the power to shoot fireballs or a laser beam or whatever, but new arms?  Same for Cole, he gets a new armor shirt that absorbs energy or something?  And also provides new weapons? And a burst of brand new energy and healing as he got his beat by Goro.

I did like seeing 

Spoiler

Kabal

Christopher Lambert will always be my Raiden.  :) The glory eyes thing didn't work for me at all.  

Overall, wasn't horrible.  Was watchable.  Went in with low expectations, and those expectations were met.

For anyone who enjoyed the animated film from last year, there's leaks suggesting we may be getting a sequel soon. No idea how reliable they are, but quite a few retailers have listings for it already, whatever that's worth. 

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

For anyone who enjoyed the animated film from last year, there's leaks suggesting we may be getting a sequel soon. No idea how reliable they are, but quite a few retailers have listings for it already, whatever that's worth. 

I enjoyed the animated movie. It would have been a shame if they let it stop there. How Scorpion was released from Hell was interesting.

I should have added these seem to be small, mostly unheard of retailers listing it, so the rumour definitely can't be verified at this stage, and is on a bit of shaky ground so far, but who knows, stranger things and all that.