• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 9:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

Darn it! But the director spoke ill of the MCU.

And the lead actor aka Twilly Twonka basically said the secret of his success is not being in comic book movies. I tire of these anti-comic book people and I'm sick of seeing Twonka's face everywhere. I'll check out Dune the Remake instead from my living room couch on HBO Maxxx and save my Andrew Jackson for Eternals.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/18/2021 at 9:50 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was going to ask where did you see it?

Still glad you enjoyed it! I'll see it Lord willing tomorrow, yet I really know nothing about it. I haven't read any books, although the title does seem familiar. Maybe there was another movie a long time ago with the same name?

There was .... I liked it but many hard core fans felt it was lacking. I, too, never read Dune, but Judy and Richard both LOVED the books, so I will attend with two hardcores. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

They gave out shirts!!! And they're long sleeve lol edit and posters @Wolverinex

IMG_20211019_183040151.jpg

IMG_20211019_182942863.jpg

Since you haven’t read the books, I would be interested to know what you thought of the movie, whether enjoyed it, found the story accessible and would recommend it to others?

On 10/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, Wolverinex said:

WHAT!  YOU ARE SO LUCKY.  What size?   What did you think?

Extra large of course lol

It was good, really good, a little long lol

On 10/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, Number 6 said:

Since you haven’t read the books, I would be interested to know what you thought of the movie, whether enjoyed it, found the story accessible and would recommend it to others?

It was understandable. Parts were whispers that were hard to make out. Still I got the gist, and it makes for a good build up. I feel once I watch it, I might not watch it again though. The person I took with me gave it 10 out of 10. I tried to play it off, because it was good but long, they said I suck lol

On 10/19/2021 at 8:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was understandable. Parts were whispers that were hard to make out. Still I got the gist, and it makes for a good build up. I feel once I watch it, I might not watch it again though. The person I took with me gave it 10 out of 10. I tried to play it off, because it was good but long, they said I suck lol

Thanks. I forgot to also ask:  did seeing the movie make you any more inclined to want to read the book?

On 10/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

And the lead actor aka Twilly Twonka basically said the secret of his success is not being in comic book movies. I tire of these anti-comic book people and I'm sick of seeing Twonka's face everywhere. I'll check out Dune the Remake instead from my living room couch on HBO Maxxx and save my Andrew Jackson for Eternals.

They probably tire of everything now being compared to comic book movies. Especially with the more fanatical constantly proclaiming "MY MCU MADE BILLIONS". It kills the small production films. So in this case - both have an itch to scratch.

It will really be okay. The MCU will go on, and so will these other people.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Recognizing the first Dune book is 412 pages (so not a quick read), if the first film skimped on the details then there is a complaint of going light on the details.

Sounds like they wanted to ensure all the breadth and depth of Frank Herbert's Dune was not watered down. Great to hear!

On 10/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Are serious?

Chalamet is the Leonardo DiCaprio of his generation - literally hasn't done a bad performance yet, and that includes his high school "Statistics" song.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, Number 6 said:

Thanks. I forgot to also ask:  did seeing the movie make you any more inclined to want to read the book?

Before the movie, my friend googled the books to see how many there were. We came up with 6 in the original series, but the people we sat down next to showed us that there were at least like 21 books concerning Dune. I might not have enjoyed it that much on the first go round to read that many.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:29 AM, Bosco685 said:

Recognizing the first Dune book is 412 pages (so not a quick read), if the first film skimped on the details then there is a complaint of going light on the details.

Sounds like they wanted to ensure all the breadth and depth of Frank Herbert's Dune was not watered down. Great to hear!

Yes it had a lot of inferences or times where it showed something that I thought might have been a longer story in the book. Not sure because I haven't read but....

One time the character looks at the sky then places his hand in the "ocean water", now I don't know, but it seemed to be a snippet that didn't contribute to the movie but might in a book. Like he was contemplating but we don't hear inner dialogue.

That's a lot of word description on my part that's hopefully vague enough, that the movie seemed well thought out and or a lot to it than face value....

On 10/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes it had a lot of inferences or times where it showed something that I thought might have been a longer story in the book. Not sure because I haven't read but....

One time the character looks at the sky then places his hand in the "ocean water", now I don't know, but it seemed to be a snippet that didn't contribute to the movie but might in a book. Like he was contemplating but we don't hear inner dialogue.

That's a lot of word description on my part that's hopefully vague enough, that the movie seemed well thought out and or a lot to it than face value....

I just hope they didn't depend on people going to grab the books to understand the movie. Which with the length of the film I think they took this into consideration.

Now hopefully moviegoers hang in there to appreciate the longer story.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

I just hope they didn't depend on people going to grab the books to understand the movie. Which with the length of the film I think they took this into consideration.

Now hopefully moviegoers hang in there to appreciate the longer story.

after learning of how many books there were, I was afraid of that

but I don't think it is that way.

I understood it at face value, it had quality there too. You'll enjoy the movie more if you've read, but in short, on face value it's a quality movie for sure (thumbsu 

:tink: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Chalamet is the Leonardo DiCaprio of his generation - literally hasn't done a bad performance yet, and that includes his high school "Statistics" song.

I don't remember DiCaprio being in a lot of pop movie remakes but okay. We'll see how many movies Scorsese puts Emo Kid in. And yes, the viral video of young Timmy rapping is a nice performance of a bunch of kids practicing cultural appropriation. 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:23 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Before the movie, my friend googled the books to see how many there were. We came up with 6 in the original series, but the people we sat down next to showed us that there were at least like 21 books concerning Dune. I might not have enjoyed it that much on the first go round to read that many.

Just to be clear:  there are only 6 books that are actually written by the series creator Frank Herbert.  The other 15 books were co-written by Herbert’s son Brian and Kevin J Anderson. 

To me, this is one of the similarities between the Dune and Lord of the Rings series:  there’s kind of a cottage industry of posthumously publishing material purportedly based the original authors notes. Saying you have to read all 21 of those Dune novels is like saying you have to read all the stuff published by Christopher Tolkien in order to understand Lord of the Rings. If you want to go that deep you can, but if you just read the original novels you’ll probably have a satisfying experience. 

There are some who view the Brian Herbert novels as legitimate sequels to the original Herbert novels, but there also some fans who are strongly opposed to the expanded novels because, from what I hear, some of them have elements that directly contradict what’s in the original six novels.  

I’ve read a couple of the expanded novels and thought they were just ok, honestly the writing seemed less substantive than what was in Frank’s novels.  A couple of Brian’s novels (I can’t remember which) are supposed to be based on Frank’s notes on what he intended to be the third book in the Heretics/Chapterhouse trilogy but I haven’t read those. 

There are some readers who feel that reading the first novel is good enough and nothing else is needed.  While I wouldn’t go that far as there’s themes that are developed further on the next 2 novels (Dune/Messiah/Children form a trilogy) but I do agree that Dune can be a satisfying read on it’s own. 

That’s a lot of words to say that if you enjoyed the movie you might enjoy the first book.  I wouldn’t all the additional stuff intimidate you. 

On 10/20/2021 at 12:46 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't remember DiCaprio being in a lot of pop movie remakes but okay. We'll see how many movies Scorsese puts Emo Kid in. And yes, the viral video of young Timmy rapping is a nice performance of a bunch of kids practicing cultural appropriation. 

There goes that social justice theme again when you want to tear down someone's character. Like implying Henry Cavill is a misogynist.

It's not necessary at all.