• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2016!

166 posts in this topic

In 2016 I bought over 300 golden age books. Some of the best ones I got ended up going to other boardies as some of the best they bought and I like that. The 3 personal best comic or art acquisitions for me are:

This Junior 15- been looking for the last two years- nothing. A friend had been looking for five years- nothing. In case you don't know this is a pretty tough book. A boardie here set me up with this and I am grateful, although much poorer, for it.

IMG_1118.jpgadult image host

This is nowhere near the rarest or priciest book I bought this year but it is my favorite Archie and I just really like it and having a high grade copy is fun.

arc1_1730a.jpgprint screen windows

This is easily my top purchase of the year, and I don't think it will come as much of a surprise to those who saw my threads. Love Peanuts and so glad to get another original.

Political_strip.jpgprint screen windows xp

Plenty of honorable mentions; mile high top notch 45, Mile high junie prom 5, Phantom lady 23, All Top 16. Airboy was last year.

I just bought a Joe Jusko Punisher painting that would have to fall in my top 3 but since Marvel hasn't released the image yet Joe asked me not to post it publicly, so only two images are below.

17D7473B-ABD8-4891-9BC9-83A3080F082A.png

F65CE206-BD1A-4D91-9B87-E3F3D6D1D4A6.jpg

Love the Ghost Rider! Tex's art brings back many childhood memories of reading comics!

But here are my fav three card pick ups <3 IMG_20161212_205146194.jpg

Love the Ruth and Gehrig. I have recently been thinking about collecting Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Ruth cards in similar grade and also Mantle. I was going just select grades by their uniform numbers that way I don't get too carried away. The only absolute definite exception would be the 52 Topps Mantle graded 7, I don't have a desire to spend that much on one even if it becomes possible to swing that much one day. I think many lower grade baseball cards present much better than lower grade comics.

So many tough acts to follow! Congrats, everybody!

I bought a bunch of books this year, mostly fill-ins for the various runs I'm working on. Nothing super special. But this one has been on my list for a very long time.

The Sgt. Rock 329 Whitman variant is one of the toughest Whitmans to find. Surely in the top 5, maybe the top 3.

I didn't find this copy in the wild, but after watching a handful of low grade copies pop up sporadically over the years on eBay (and always selling for more than I imagined) I finally pulled the trigger on this copy when it came up for sale.

I probably paid too much, but this book is literally the last one I needed to complete my DC BA war collection, the remainder of which I finished years ago.

So, I'm pretty happy!

Sgt.%20Rock%20329W_zpssphkegmh.jpg

I didn't really buy much in the way of comics this year, but was able to grab a CGC graded copy of ROM #1 finally.

Art on the other hand has proven to be my most active year so far.

1.Unpublished cover to ROM #1(This was my first ever Heritage win, and purchase from them)

Cz0ihC04_2908160945051gpadd.jpg

2.Daredevil title splash to #285 (My first buy from another collector)

Y6EyXq4l_0404161625181gpadd.jpg

3.Marvel Fanfare #41 Black Panther Pin Up (This was actually a gift a family member got me, and for that reason alone its amazing)

ZIP3hRuP_2503161313261gpadd.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]

I have been moving toward the OA side of collecting.

From my Top 3 only this one had been scanned.

Anarky # 8 Cover by Norm Breyfrogle.

Featuring a great collection of Bat-villains:

The Joker, Two Face, Killer Crock, The Ventriloquist and Anarky[/font]

Anarky%20%208%20Cover_zps7kvei6wb.jpg

I absolutely love your cover, Breyfogle is one of my favorite artist ;)

I absolutely love your cover, Breyfogle is one of my favorite artist ;)

[font:Book Antiqua]That is an understatement,

Your Breyfrogle Covers Have No Rival..![/font]

:golfclap: