• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2016!

166 posts in this topic

#1 Fantastic Four 1 CGC 5.5 OWW

e3331fc6-d432-4889-adfe-c513b033d582_zps6nc2twe3.jpg

I only got to buy one personal book in 2016, but it was a big one. This FF #1 with no Marvel chipping keep in mind (hehe) came from an OO collection out of SoCal. I take great pleasure in knowing this book was bought off the newsstand rack and now transferred into my hands 50+ years later. Very Happy with this book! :cloud9:

2017 I will be looking to buy HULK #1! :wishluck:

That FF presents wonderfully! Hopefully I'll own one someday...

Lots of superb pickups shown thus far! :applause:

2016 was a great year for my collection! Actually the best since I've started collecting. Not so good for my wallet lol

Of the 27 books I bought (not including a run of West Coast Avengers), 10 were within my "Captain America" focus. Not bad ;)

I cannot thank these boards enough as all three of my top acquisitions this year are due to board members! You know who you are :acclaim:

One of them is on it's way to me now so I'll only be able to show two.

I was able to upgrade my raw Captain America Comics #74 (from what turned out to be a 2.5) to a 4.0

Captain%20Americas%20Weird%20Tales%2074.jpg

I then posted on the WTB thread for the first time. I asked for a Captain America Comics #78 and got several replies back, one of which included this 4X signature series book! So grateful to the previous owner for working with me so I could purchase it!

Captain%20America%20Comics%2078%20CGC%20SS%203.0.jpg

Cheers to a victorious 2017!

I then posted on the WTB thread for the first time. I asked for a Captain America Comics #78 and got several replies back, one of which included this 4X signature series book! So grateful to the previous owner for working with me so I could purchase it!

Captain%20America%20Comics%2078%20CGC%20SS%203.0.jpg

Cheers to a victorious 2017!

Now that is a signature series book!

Narrowing it down to four is the best I can do this afternoon...

Journey Into Mystery #1 (a significant upgrade over my previous 0.5).

JIM01CGC40.jpg

Hulk #2, picked up in a collection I bought earlier this year (keeping this one).

Hulk02CGC.jpg

Strange Tales #83, bought from KirbyJack here on the boards.

ST83CGC80.jpg

Uncanny Tales #26, bought from RICK STARR here on the boards.

UncannyTales26.jpg

Congrats as always to everyone for this pickups in 2016. I don't have time to do General often, but this is always a must-read thread for me. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

My top 3 OA for 2016:

TALES FROM THE CRYPT #43 cover:

MoAnBX4G_2707161523321gpadd.jpg

A personal fave from when I first discovered EC in the '80s. The first vintage EC book I bought. I don't do slabs these days, but this is one issue I'd consider getting in high grade. Jack Davis is a unanimous, first ballot Hall-of-Famer in my book.

NEXUS: THE ORIGIN p.28-29

KLGreBBK_2203161249261.jpg

NEXUS was perhaps my favorite ongoing series from the '80s and it remains a favorite to this day. Steve Rude held onto these pages and I was thrilled to be able to get them from him this year. About as perfect a two-page sequence as I could ever hope to find. I showed artist Paul Pope some pages from my collection; he was able to ID all of them. These two were his favorite as well.

ALIENS: THE OFFICIAL MARVEL MOVIE ADAPTATION

11NvMJOg_2302161737391.jpeg

...that never happened (but should have!). I get a lot of commissions, and it's hard to pick just one for this spot. But for today, I'll go with Chris Mooneyham's faux Marvel movie adaptation of one of my all-time favorite movies.

Hope everyone continues to have fun collecting in 2017!

Congrats as always to everyone for this pickups in 2016. I don't have time to do General often, but this is always a must-read thread for me. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

My top 3 OA for 2016:

A personal fave from when I first discovered EC in the '80s. The first vintage EC book I bought. I don't do slabs these days, but this is one issue I'd consider getting in high grade. Jack Davis is a unanimous, first ballot Hall-of-Famer in my book.

:o(worship)

Wow, just amazing

My top 3 OA for 2016:

:o(worship)

Wow, just amazing

It sure is! (worship)

OK. So last year I watched this thread with a heavy heart. I had spent the full year of 2015 unemployed after moving abroad, money was tight, so I didn't do any buying. Literally i think I bought one $40 book in the course of 12 months. But by the end of the 2015 I had a job lined up, ready to start on Jan 1, and I've spent the last 11 months making a good living and thus I've been able to do some buying!

And yet my favorite buys were not my biggest purchases, but rather books that were meaningful for what they meant about the boards here.

My first book is raw at the moment, but it'll go to CGC soon so I can add it to my registry for my Space Adventures collection.

CHz97dJ.jpg

Why is this one key to me? Well it came via a charity thread to help out another board member. Someone offered it, and crochntr picked it up at a nice donation price. I had been wanting a SA12 for a while (and who wouldn't!). So I PMed croc and made him a offer to cover the donation plus more for the charity. Croc was game and I ended up with a book, the person in need ended up with a bigger donation and Croc got a ton of karma in my book. See? Great boardies.

My second book is slabbed, and already part of my SA Registry, but again Im not calling it one of my top 3 just cause it's a sweet pedigree copy.

1ZfPo2V.jpg

right as I started working again in 2016 I got contact by Straw-Man, who had traded me another nice SA pedigree book. At the time (this was back in 2013 or 2014) I asked him if he had any other SA peds, and he thought he had a Space Adventures #27. He looked for it, but couldn't find it, and though he remembered trading it away. Fast forward over a year later. I get an out of the blue PM from Straw-Man, and he tells me that he was doing some trading, and was able to trade back for the book and asked if I still wanted it. I of course jumped. I was floored that William remembered our talk and helped a fellow collector add to his collection.

My last "favorite" of the year is some OA. A nice Joe Staton page with lots of members of the Green Lantern Corps in action.

a7mAIv3.jpg

So why is this one of my favorites? Well when we moved to Europe my OA Portfolio was "lost" by one of the moving companies. It was insured, so I got reimbursed, but bills had to be paid so the money went to better and more pressing needs and I knew I'd get back to collecting OA later. (Though the increase in price of OA compared to when I was first buying it 10-15 years ago, yikes). So here is my first page of my NEW OA Portfolio.

So there we have it, my favorite three purchases this year as I got to get back to the hobby I love. Thanks to the boardies who help me with the chance to get some great books, tons of comic karma to you!