• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2016!

166 posts in this topic

I really fell in love with Wrightson's work and the Swamp Thing character this year, so I picked this up from the man himself during Houston Comicpalooza (not original art, but a signed/numbered print, and the colored version only exists in print form):

31373069235_47ec98bb53_b.jpg

I love the Swamp Thing print, I've seen the OA but really like the color version better!

I did not come across one Bronze 9.8 Acton Comics example that I needed or liked in 2016! :(

I didn't buy much this year in terms of slabs, most of them were for my Death and Return of Superman set. The set is mostly readily available drek, but there are a few gems. So here are my top three from 2016.

Superman #75 Platinum Edition

1102160927111.jpg

I had a 9.8 copy once, but I traded it a few years ago. I missed it and kept an eye out for another copy, but prices were steep. Earlier this year, I found one and got a great deal. Also, the same day this eBay auction ended, my Denver Broncos pulled a big surprise and won the Super Bowl that night. People in town were skeptical they would win, when I won this book for a great price, I told myself that this meant the Broncos would win tonight. ;) That's why this is my top piece for 2016!

Also, the outer case is fine, but the inner well has a several distracting scuffs. So, I'll be sending this in for a new holder in 2017. If this were any other book, I wouldn't even worry about it. But this is a show piece, so only a pristine holder will do.

Superman: The Man of Steel # 18 Fifth Printing

1305162120251.jpg

I started a thread about this book and it's five printings three years ago and people are still contributing to it. The fifth printing had been mentioned quite a bit and I had been wanting a copy of my own since starting that thread.

Action Comics #685 Second Printing

1510161315361.jpg

While this piece is nothing special in terms of monetary value, this a book I found raw in the wild for less than $4.00 while visiting some old friends out of town. I dropped this off at Denver Comic Con, this was my first submission and also my first visit to the event. This is only the second example to make 9.8 grade, and this book carriers some good memories for me. I also love the multiple printing variants for these issues, so this book, along with my fifth print Man of Steel really elevated my multiple printing collection in 2016.

I don't have everything scanned or photographed, but thought I'd post these as they were things I saw and had to have. The second image are McDonalds 1996 food premium prototypes which include a Spider-Man wax sculpt, hardcopy, plus unproduced larger concept hardcopy piece. The production toy is in the group shot to show how the final version looked.

ZLA6jiCf_3011161836221gpadd.jpg

166596.jpg.1b653a842a815577831097c8b79cbb2b.jpg

1909161419511.jpg

Detective%20Comics%2031%20-%2015500%202016.jpg

Peter, I really am such a fan of this run you are putting together and cheer you on and smile with each step you take to it's completion. This is like watching a MLB player try to reach a major league all time record. You cannot help but cheer with each step that they get closer to achieving that goal.

I cannot wait to see what 2017 brings.

Here are my best (most favorite) adds to my collection this year:

Ace Continuado Sketch Cover

nucPhih.jpg

I do not know who Ace Continuado is... never heard of him...

My Lord... this cover is amazing and would be a keeper in anyone's collection. Now I will be on the lookout for Ace Continuado. Brilliant acquisition.

Great books and art in this thread every year.

From what has been listed so far in no particular order my top few items that others acquired are.

FF 1 5.5

Untamed Love 3

Wonderworld 7

Zip 27

Tec 168

All-New Comics 8

Avengers 4 CGC 8.5

Cap 20

Sub-Mariner 34 Stan sig

Vampirella 1 Frazetta sig (WOW!)

Exciting 39

USA Comics 5

Bat 20

TOS 39

Bat 121

Amazing-man 5

DD 1 9.4

Dr. Strange 182

TEC 33

Real Life 3

Since this just arrived today I will make this a late addition and put it a notch above the Superman 7 page I already listed.

I hear this book is really hard to find so I can't get picky on the condition.

Amazing-man%2026_zpsefrwwmnv.jpg

Great books and art in this thread every year.

From what has been listed so far in no particular order my top few items that others acquired are.

FF 1 5.5

Untamed Love 3

Wonderworld 7

Zip 27

Tec 168

All-New Comics 8

Avengers 4 CGC 8.5

Cap 20

Sub-Mariner 34 Stan sig

Vampirella 1 Frazetta sig (WOW!)

Exciting 39

USA Comics 5

Bat 20

TOS 39

Bat 121

Amazing-man 5

DD 1 9.4

Dr. Strange 182

TEC 33

Real Life 3

Since this just arrived today I will make this a late addition and put it a notch above the Superman 7 page I already listed.

I hear this book is really hard to find so I can't get picky on the condition.

Amazing-man%2026_zpsefrwwmnv.jpg

:o:o WOW!!! If by hard you mean near impossible then yes!!

nucPhih.jpg

My Lord... this cover is amazing and would be a keeper in anyone's collection. Now I will be on the lookout for Ace Continuado. Brilliant acquisition.

Thank you. I had not heard of him until I saw the Sketch Op on these boards. Thanks to Ji (HyperGeeky) for coordinating this opportunity.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9402680#Post9402680

nucPhih.jpg

I'm in agreement - very cinematic.

nucPhih.jpg

Very impressed with The Punisher, capturing a strong resemblance to Jon Bernthal.