• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 15 - GRADE IS IN!!

53 posts in this topic

So I'm heading to Florida next week and am going to drop this at CGC to have regraded by them. Never had a book pressed before and I'm wondering if this one would be worth it (cost around $235)? The grader's notes from across the street are :

spine wear & stress breaks color, many creases to cover, some break color

few tiny edge tears & tiny light stains to cover

many bindery pieces missing right edge front cover

Thank you in advance for any opinions.

I will post the grades for all my PGM books when I return. 

amAF15(3.5).jpg

If it was me (and i know it's not), I would pay for the pressing and dry cleaning - otherwise no matter what grade it comes back I'd always wonder "what if?"....

just my 2 cents...

I would say a 2.0-2.5 The chipping is really pretty severe and there are a lot of creases that are three inch or more. The spine is worn and cracked at the staples. The color is not bright and nothing is said about page color.  It's also rolled at the spine and exposes the inner pages as seen at the back cover. The back cover appears to have a small group of tears at the bottom and cracking along the spine as well. 

I don't know what pressing gets you on that book. If you look at auction sales, the low grades seem to be pretty indestructible as to bid value. It's around a five that things get weird.  Restoration sales are doing poorly in my estimation. 

Pressing is really pretty slow right now. I've had three books in for over a month and they have yet to come out for grading. The pressing  fee for the three was $275.00.

I would have it dry cleaned and pressed with a pre-screen.  The pre-screen should include having someone ensure the book can withstand the pressing / dry cleaning because once its done, its done.  For this book call whoever you decide to use and make sure you're clear about what you want.

Makes me happy. Maybe min is an upgrade to 3.5 potential.  

I had said 3.0 but then graded 3.5 later.  Long threads do that.  Congrats on the grade.  Nice copy 

On 3/21/2017 at 9:46 PM, comicquant said:

Thats either a socially awkward way of congratulating you or his way of saying he's a better grader than those a

On 3/21/2017 at 9:46 PM, comicquant said:

Thats either a socially awkward way of congratulating you or his way of saying he's a better grader than those at CGC.  Either way its worth ignoring.  Congrats on the 3.5!  It couldn't come at a better time (Comic Connect Auctions).

I'm having minor troubles with the new format. 

Personally, congrats on the grade - i could never have seen this book as a 3.5 myself. That chipping is extensive and there are many, many long color breaking creases.