• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

How about showing us some books that are actually tough in that grade? :baiting:

My guess is that the early, 1963 and earlier books will be consistently below 9.4, and the grades will dramatically improve as we get into 1964 and later.

Nonetheless, the books look very fresh and I look forward to seeing more of the collection, particularly the early DCs.

Of course, if they're being sold on Comiclink, I won't be able to see them at all!

"It has been over eight years since we've brought out an original owner collection dating back to the early Silver Age of comics with depth like this," stated Josh Nathanson, Founder and CEO of ComicLink.

What was the collection from eight years ago? Anyone remember?

Twin Cities?

That was Heritage.

"It has been over eight years since we've brought out an original owner collection dating back to the early Silver Age of comics with depth like this," stated Josh Nathanson, Founder and CEO of ComicLink.

What was the collection from eight years ago? Anyone remember?

Twin Cities?

Rocky Mt

Yes. Thank you.

Also known as "Common Mountain".

How about showing us some books that are actually tough in that grade? :baiting:

My guess is that the early, 1963 and earlier books will be consistently below 9.4, and the grades will dramatically improve as we get into 1964 and later.

This isn't necessarily the case. The original owner was born in '38, and so was of adult age and capable of being careful with his comics at the dawn of the Marvel Age.

We just have to wait and see.

Great story and, based on the brief bio I read, well-deserving to have a pedigree named after him. I know there are other pedigrees named after original owners (Larson, etc), but aren't the majority of pedigrees named after where the collection was discovered? I wonder if they considered any other names for it, such as the Arlington pedigree?

art_fantucchhio.jpg

Great story and, based on the brief bio I read, well-deserving to have a pedigree named after him. I know there are other pedigrees named after original owners (Larson, etc), but aren't the majority of pedigrees named after where the collection was discovered? I wonder if they considered any other names for it, such as the Arlington pedigree?

My guess is that because his name has some degree of recognition for some people, they're using it for the pedigree name.

My contact at ComicLink said that he just submitted some JLAs recently but they have just scratched the surface on this collection.

Is your contact saying that if ComicLink hadn't scratched them they would grade higher?

Or is he saying that CGC is the one doing the scratching?

Sounds like either way the books are ruined. :cry:

This is why I hate for anyone other than Bedrock City to get their meat-hooks on these new collections :facepalm:

Someone's gonna make a lot of scratch.

I bet a lot of collectors are itching to own these. :grin:

meh.

I think if they didnt have the "John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as... " angle (which helps in promotion) this woudn't be considered a pedigree.

I'll be curious to see how grand this pedigree is, and whether it's just a promotional tool since it's been a while since CGC got to certify a new pedigree.

Just look at the ASM2 (9.0) that's front and center in their promotion...

that's 9.0

Lower grade than Twin Cities ped, lower than the Mass ped and lower than the Northland copy.

At 9.0 the Fantu copy is one of 23 in grade with 26 copies in higher grade.

it's great sure, but not "exceptional" neither in condition or rarity...

I dont think these will go for any sort of premium except for the keys (maybe) or for copies where it happens to be the highest grade

again. meh.

Im far more interested in what sort of shape his GA comics are, if they were in this collection at all. I know it says he had been collecting since the '40s, but wonder if the pedigreed collection included those books or not...

meh.

I think if they didnt have the "John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as... " angle (which helps in promotion) this woudn't be considered a pedigree.

I'll be curious to see how grand this pedigree is, and whether it's just a promotional tool since it's been a while since CGC got to certify a new pedigree.

Just look at the ASM2 (9.0) that's front and center in their promotion...

that's 9.0

Lower grade than Twin Cities ped, lower than the Mass ped and lower than the Northland copy.

At 9.0 the Fantu copy is one of 23 in grade with 26 copies in higher grade.

it's great sure, but not "exceptional" neither in condition or rarity...

I dont think these will go for any sort of premium except for the keys (maybe) or for copies where it happens to be the highest grade

again. meh.

I mean, I get what you're saying and all but this is too much of a blanket statement before we see the full catalogue. We just don't know (yet) the quality of books save for a handful.

It looks awesome to me and I don't doubt there will plenty of uber high grades for quality books. At the end of the day, not every pedigree will be created equally anyways.