• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

meh.

I think if they didnt have the "John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as... " angle (which helps in promotion) this woudn't be considered a pedigree.

I'll be curious to see how grand this pedigree is, and whether it's just a promotional tool since it's been a while since CGC got to certify a new pedigree.

Just look at the ASM2 (9.0) that's front and center in their promotion...

that's 9.0

Lower grade than Twin Cities ped, lower than the Mass ped and lower than the Northland copy.

At 9.0 the Fantu copy is one of 23 in grade with 26 copies in higher grade.

it's great sure, but not "exceptional" neither in condition or rarity...

I dont think these will go for any sort of premium except for the keys (maybe) or for copies where it happens to be the highest grade

again. meh.

So far we have no idea what the Pedigree entails.

meh.

I think if they didnt have the "John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as... " angle (which helps in promotion) this woudn't be considered a pedigree.

I'll be curious to see how grand this pedigree is, and whether it's just a promotional tool since it's been a while since CGC got to certify a new pedigree.

that's 9.0

Lower grade than Twin Cities ped, lower than the Mass ped and lower than the Northland copy.

I dont think these will go for any sort of premium except for the keys (maybe) or for copies where it happens to be the highest grade

again. meh.

I mean, I get what you're saying and all but this is too much of a blanket statement before we see the full catalogue. We just don't know (yet) the quality of books save for a handful.

It looks awesome to me and I don't doubt there will plenty of uber high grades for quality books. At the end of the day, not every pedigree will be created equally anyways.

So far we have no idea what the Pedigree entails.

Agreed, and I guess Im just saying this is my initial reaction to the tip of the PR iceburg. I was working from the assumption that they'd lead with the most tantilizing part of the pedigree and what they've shown off to me doesnt blow my hair back (disclaimer, I dont have enough hair to get blown back anyway)

but yeah, Im curious to see the rest of the Pedigree too, this is just my initial reaction.

Agreed, and I guess Im just saying this is my initial reaction to the tip of the PR iceburg. I was working from the assumption that they'd lead with the most tantilizing part of the pedigree and what they've shown off to me doesnt blow my hair back (disclaimer, I dont have enough hair to get blown back anyway)

but yeah, Im curious to see the rest of the Pedigree too, this is just my initial reaction.

I think a lot of what you're saying (and others who aren't impressed) stems from the fact one of the books they decided to show was an ASM#2 at 9.0. The others looked real nice and very high grades.

If the ASM2 was a 9.8, think of how different your reaction likely would have been.

Not sure why they chose to show a 9.0... I'm sure theres another key with an uber high grade in there they could have teased us with. Perception would have been much different I think.

I wonder if this pedigree is getting pressed prior to grading.

Why would you wonder that?

I think the reason some people may wonder is that many collector's would prefer fresh Pedigree books that come to market to be unpressed, unmanipulated, and over-all untouched, just left as the original owner had them in his/her collection for all those years. I know in this day that is unrealistic, but "when it does happen" it gives a sense of owning a piece of history that hasn't been altered to extract that extra dollar.

I think the reason some people may wonder is that many collector's would prefer fresh Pedigree books that come to market to be unpressed, unmanipulated, and over-all untouched, just left as the original owner had them in his/her collection for all those years. I know in this day that is unrealistic, but "when it does happen" it gives a sense of owning a piece of history that hasn't been altered to extract that extra dollar.

+1 but sadly the likelihood these won't be pressed is probably between zero and none

+1 but sadly the likelihood these won't be pressed is probably between zero and none

I would tend to agree with this because I will assume (maybe incorrectly) that since the collection was slabbed after his death, that his family's motivation for slabbing the books was to sell the collection and maximize their proceeds from the sale of the books.

I would tend to agree with this because I will assume (maybe incorrectly) that since the collection was slabbed after his death, that his family's motivation for slabbing the books was to sell the collection and maximize their proceeds from the sale of the books.

I would 100% recommend to the family to get the books pressed if it could improve the grade and I am not a fan of pressing. They should get the most profit from the books IMO.

Is there anything saying that these are OO books anyway? I thought I was reading it was a collection, which would imply that some (??%) books may have been after acquired/collected.

Because if they were not people would be buying them for the sole purchase of having them CPR'd. It's pretty much a given that they were as they were likely handled/submitted by the auction house so that they could be given priority in preperation for auction.

The description says he bought the silver and bronze books at the time they were published, starting with the beginning of the Marvel Age.

Where?

I see Josh calls it an OO collection, but this is the release:

CGC has recognized a new Silver Age Pedigree. The John G. Fantucchio Pedigree features nearly every comic published by Marvel and DC Comics from the inception of the Marvel era in the early 1960s through the mid-70s. Rounding out the collection are numerous other high grade comics from other publishers including Charlton, Gold Key, Dell, ACG, Tower and many others.

"This collection was beautiful," said Paul Litch, CGC's Primary Grader, "It is a rare treat when a previously unseen collection of high grade comics becomes available to the public. It is even more rare for a collection to be recognized as a pedigree... a collection like this, cannot be denied."

The books were collected by artist John G. Fantucchio and stored in ideal conditions. The result is a collection of beautifully preserved comics with amazing color and page quality. John had been a serious collector since the 1940's and was an adult at the beginning of the Silver Age. These books had been stored for decades until being viewed by Rick Lowell of Casablanca Comics.

"I had known about these books for years, but nobody had ever seen them" says Lowell. "I was unsure what I was going to find and as I unpacked them I was amazed at the quality. I was also stunned at how complete the collection is."

John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as Rocket's Blast Comic Collector, Fantastic Fanzine, Comic Crusader and many others. John also did covers for the early issues of The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, including the very first issue.

"It has been over eight years since we've brought out an original owner collection dating back to the early Silver Age of comics with depth like this," stated Josh Nathanson, Founder and CEO of ComicLink. "There is a distinct beauty in looking at book after book with a homogeneous look and feel, having been stored in the same place in the same way for decades. It's one of the perks of this job that I relish. I'm thrilled that ComicLink is working with Rick to disperse the collection into the hands of today's collectors. We've decided that Amazing Spider-Man will be the first title to be offered, within the ComicLink.com Winter Featured Auction commencing on February 15th. I'm looking forward to the event!"

Just a curious way to describe it and not sure it makes a huge difference. Bought off the newsstand or constantly collected/upgraded. Not a lot of difference in terms of the quality of the books, but could work against the mystique of a pedigree notation.

Even Church had some books acquired secondhand, but not many. I thought it was an odd description as most pedigree announcement talk about books being bought off the stand and meticulously stored, etc., etc.

Why not? The minute some are pressed and some are not, the uniformity of the pedigree is no longer the same.

I'm no longer anti pressing but it's a pretty valid thought.

Jim

Is there anything saying that these are OO books anyway? I thought I was reading it was a collection, which would imply that some (??%) books may have been after acquired/collected.

To be a pedigree it has to be OO so it's implied, but I get your point, it's not defined for fact in the context of the press release.

Jim

The description says he bought the silver and bronze books at the time they were published, starting with the beginning of the Marvel Age.

Where?

I see Josh calls it an OO collection, but this is the release:

CGC has recognized a new Silver Age Pedigree. The John G. Fantucchio Pedigree features nearly every comic published by Marvel and DC Comics from the inception of the Marvel era in the early 1960s through the mid-70s. Rounding out the collection are numerous other high grade comics from other publishers including Charlton, Gold Key, Dell, ACG, Tower and many others.

"This collection was beautiful," said Paul Litch, CGC's Primary Grader, "It is a rare treat when a previously unseen collection of high grade comics becomes available to the public. It is even more rare for a collection to be recognized as a pedigree... a collection like this, cannot be denied."

The books were collected by artist John G. Fantucchio and stored in ideal conditions. The result is a collection of beautifully preserved comics with amazing color and page quality. John had been a serious collector since the 1940's and was an adult at the beginning of the Silver Age. These books had been stored for decades until being viewed by Rick Lowell of Casablanca Comics.

"I had known about these books for years, but nobody had ever seen them" says Lowell. "I was unsure what I was going to find and as I unpacked them I was amazed at the quality. I was also stunned at how complete the collection is."

John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as Rocket's Blast Comic Collector, Fantastic Fanzine, Comic Crusader and many others. John also did covers for the early issues of The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, including the very first issue.

"It has been over eight years since we've brought out an original owner collection dating back to the early Silver Age of comics with depth like this," stated Josh Nathanson, Founder and CEO of ComicLink. "There is a distinct beauty in looking at book after book with a homogeneous look and feel, having been stored in the same place in the same way for decades. It's one of the perks of this job that I relish. I'm thrilled that ComicLink is working with Rick to disperse the collection into the hands of today's collectors. We've decided that Amazing Spider-Man will be the first title to be offered, within the ComicLink.com Winter Featured Auction commencing on February 15th. I'm looking forward to the event!"

Just a curious way to describe it and not sure it makes a huge difference. Bought off the newsstand or constantly collected/upgraded. Not a lot of difference in terms of the quality of the books, but could work against the mystique of a pedigree notation.

Even Church had some books acquired secondhand, but not many. I thought it was an odd description as most pedigree announcement talk about books being bought off the stand and meticulously stored, etc., etc.

I think a very large proportion of the books would have had to have been bought by him off the newsstand to get a pedigree designation, no?

To be a pedigree it has to be OO so it's implied, but I get your point, it's not defined for fact in the context of the press release.

Jim

I don't think CGC would want to start designating collections as pedigrees. I think there can be some books in the collection that weren't bought off the stands -- as with the Don and Maggie books -- but I believe that most of the books have to be original purchases.

meh.

that's 9.0

again. meh.

Some of the earliest Pacific Coast books might have gotten a "meh" reaction from you too. Some of the earliest books were 8.0s, 8.5s, and the AF #15 was a 6.5. I think that pedigree is still well regarded in the collecting community.

I don't know how the rest of the collection will stack up with some other nice Silver Age pedigrees. But I think it's off to a pretty solid start.